"Mystical Reasons" vs Plain Common Sense Rant

euripides

Good point, Emma. Its a bit difficult, I guess... we all need to find others who share our views, to validate our opinions. And I guess holding one view negates the other, so we end up in a position of divided camps.

We don't want to have to preface every single thing we write with "Just my opinion, and this is what works for me, and I respect your standpoint..." but perhaps we do need to consider this a little more. But also, not to take it personally as an attack if someone wants to blow off steam about feeling strongly one way or the other.

I think there is plenty of room here for differing opinions, and its interesting to hear how different people feel. I'm certainly finding it enriching.

SunChariot

euripides said:
Good point, Emma. Its a bit difficult, I guess... we all need to find others who share our views, to validate our opinions. And I guess holding one view negates the other, so we end up in a position of divided camps.

We don't want to have to preface every single thing we write with "Just my opinion, and this is what works for me, and I respect your standpoint..." but perhaps we do need to consider this a little more. But also, not to take it personally as an attack if someone wants to blow off steam about feeling strongly one way or the other.

I think there is plenty of room here for differing opinions, and its interesting to hear how different people feel. I'm certainly finding it enriching.

I always pressume that's understood too, that whatever I say is just my opinion. Sometimes I state it outright but not always. I just presume it's understood. We all learn from our life experiences and we all have had different experiences. Each taught us what we personally needed to know. So, at least for me I know I don't expect everyone to feel the same way as me, or see their paths as any less valid.

Babs

AngelC

Things is - as open and respectful as this forum is there is one category of people that seem to think it's ok to attack others' views and beliefs and it is this "common sense crowd".
I've seen no other issue met with disrespect, when it comes to this one it happens every time someone brings it up.
I agree with Emma here 100%, there is no need to beat others over the head with your opinions, you can *gasp* be wrong. Share them, express them but stop this ridicule of others and "my way is the only right way" attitude because it really doesn't fit the atmosphere of this forum.

I don't deify my cards but I firmly believe in the right to do so for anyone who so pleases and that without being treated like an idiot.

lizziecat

Maybe what we need is a "Tarot Mythbusters Thread" - test the theories, collect data and report back.

At the very least, it would reveal tendencies towards anthropomorphism, pareidolia, etc. without relying on untestable mystic/opinion/belief claims and give individuals a choice as to whether or not to believe it.

Before everyone jumps on me, understand that I don't care if people feel comfortable with personal rituals regarding Tarot (or anything else), but in keeping in the spirit of the forum, each side should be presented in a manner to allow individuals access to the facts and then let each decide for him/her self.

Of course, that's just my opinion :)

Red Emma

lizziecat said:
Maybe what we need is a "Tarot Mythbusters Thread" - test the theories, collect data and report back.

My first thought was, what a good idea! Then I wondered just how such things would be measured. As far as I know -- but it's been a long time since I was in grad school -- no one's found a way of measuring the occult. If a person reads her tarot layout, thinks, "Oh, that's what the Goddess wants me to do," how would a scientist determine if it were true?

And besides, I kind of like all that mysticism to explore and, very carefully, engage. There's some pretty weird stuff out there, and not all of it friendly.

As far as I can determine, nearly all cultures but our own use the extrasensory elements of the Universe in their daily lives. We Westerners are pretty hung up on Newtonian physics, reinforced by a church who burned or hung anyone who disagreed with them. After all, how can you control people who are able to pop off into another dimension and get what they need?

And by the way, this is just my opinion. Backed up by a whole lot of reading.

Well, that, and a minister I know who says, "When I believe it, I'll see it."

Lion-O

Right. It took me a whole week to decide on whether to participate in this threat or not but 'curiosity killed the cat' as they say and I simply can't help doing a little ranting of my own. So here goes ;)

closrapexa said:
Be aware that I am not talking about Tarot myths and supersticions. Those, in my mind, are valid, since Tarot is about belief. We cannot prove that it works under scientific, controlled environments, hence me must practice a leap of faith. I have no problem with that, I myself believe strongly in the validity of Tarot, otherwise I would not be here. However, what bothers me is blind faith, and no use of common sense.
These are things you see happening everywhere with most activities. I too experience moments of disbelief or plain out disdain when reading some of those threads. However my issues aren't really focussed on people not using common sense and the likes since I can imagine that there will be plenty of people out there who will feel uncomfortable or maybe even a little frightened of a Tarot deck. In that aspect I can fully understand and respect some of the questions out there.

However what can really bother me sometimes is the repeation factor in some threads (people posting before searching the forums) or people who try to make fun in a topic where the actually subject is meant to be serious.

I'm pretty sure everyone has some minor issues which they don't like or maybe even take a little offense to. Best solution I see is either ignoring the post and move on or simply be open and honost about it and tell the other that you don't feel comfortable with it (in a rant like yours for example). You'll feel relieved, others know where they stand and when done in a decent fashion no one has to feel insulted or worse.

I too like the way the forum participants always try to keep an open mind and show respect to other people's ideas and believes. Oh well, enough ranting for me to last a while :)

FearfulSymmetry

I don't know exactly what causes this phenomenon but it isn't just tarot readers. Musicians get that way about their instruments, myself included, martial artists about their weapons and maybe you can think of some others. Some musicians will nearly have a nervous breakdown if something happens to their gutar for example!
I think it might have something to do with these particular tools becoming an extension of yourself and heck, maybe we do extend some of our life force into them.

What about cars that don't run well when they are dirty? Haha!

Also, I know I often say things in jest that are mistakenly taken seriously, it is so hard to hear the right tone online. In real life when I pray to the parking god so I get a good spot, people usually know I'm joking.

Other people do treat tarot as sacred tools. I think a lot of that has to do with coaxing your mind into a place where it can do readings, a meditative, dreamlike state, like hypnosis. After conditioning your mind to relax by doing certain things it will perform that way.

There are a lot of reasons why, I am sure.

mingbop

I think you're all in danger here...of over-analysing things so much you're going to disappear up your own noses .. What the tarot is, is a tool. A method of divination. And if I'm talking old fashioned here - too bad, cos I'm old !
A tool can be used many ways !- you dont get get people poncing on that you can use a shovel for fetching coal in, but not for clearing up leaves, do you ?Or a screwdriver is ok for putting screws in , but not for poking holes for a nail ...?
you get hold of a tarot deck and you use it HOWEVER YOU WANT ! - IT'S YOURS ! ...Just dont jump on a soapbox and start telling people that any other way of using it is wrong/will lead to blindness/early death/possession -- because that might, (although I doubt it) be true for YOU, but it isnt for THEM.
The reason the tarot has survived so many centuries is that it is so versatile, you can do so much with it. So why the utter hell should we start putting it behind fences, stuffing it in drawers ? Maybe some spiritual silence and study would help .....but then that's just me bein evil lolol !

euripides

re the repetition factor.... I agree its a problem, though I know I've done it quite a bit too. Perhaps the 'search the forum first' bit needs to be emphasised a bit more for new members, and it might be worth telling them that they can ADD to a conversation about the same issue, instead of starting a fresh thread - after all, part of the forum experience is that you want to talk to someone about it, not just read about it. Share.

I wonder whether it would be worth having a 'new to tarot' forum section that old hands can check thru if they feel like answering newbie questions, and steer away from if they don't.