Buckland Romani - Magician

LittleWing

The Shuv'hani (gypsy witch / female magician) - what a beautiful and inspirational looking woman!!

As with the traditional meaning of the magician card, she has the ability to achieve whatever she puts her mind to. She is mystical, has great mental control and manipulative powers.

She is very powerful - a true priestess!!

I think she is as charming as the male magician would be - persuasive and intrieging to others. This is the kind of woman i would admire - i love her clothes, hair, jewellary, independance and strength.

She does not look to me like she is the kind of woman to hand out little remedies (this is more the empress) - this woman does real magic. Illusions and cunning magic. big and important magic. she would curse those who cross her or her people, advise those who are about to undertake something, - she has the ability to make things go her way.

I can see her dancing before a man - who becomes quickly messmorised by her swirling costume - putting him under her spell, getting whatever she may want from him.

Belladonna

Interestingly, this card reminds me of the world card. Just another reminder that this woman does accomplish whatever she sets her mind to. She seems to carry a mesmerizing power about her and must easily influence others to carry out her will, or at least aid her to do so. She also seems capable of raising fear in others, as well as awe. She must evoke strong feelings within people. Love, lust, jealousy, hatred, admiration, inspiration, fear, loyalty, passion- just to name a few.

This is the true power of illusion. And I don't mean to undermine her magical abilities when I say that. Nor do I mean to imply that she uses her power only to her own end. She must prove to be a powerful protectress and provider in her own way for her tribe.

galadrial

I like the way she holds the two elements, comfortably and expertly, and the casual way her scarf rests by the other two. She looks like she has had long practice with these items and no longer has to think about how to use them, but only what she wants to use them for. Others who are just learning control of one or more of these may find her abilities "magical", since they haven't attained the level of expertise to know how her magic is performed. The pentacle arm bracelet makes me think of an emblem of mastery. She took whatever native abilites she had, and perhaps felt a spiritual calling to improve, and stayed the course to her present level. She does not use her abilities just for show but to help her community (roses and lilys- passion and purity of intention) and still considers herself a student because she aware that there is always more to learn (lemniscate on head). [I go read the book description]: I see the book says that the lemniscate indicates infinate knowledge and wisdom; but even for an archtype I find it more useful to see it as access to and awareness of infinate knowledge and wisdom, rather than possession of it.

DarkElectric

I really like this card a lot.
I definitely discern an air of magic, and power about her. To me, she looks as if she's ready to do some form of working. She has the tools she needs, and is looking around her, maybe to make sure she hasn't forgotten anything. This, to me is the sign of a true master. And, she's comfortable with that power she apparently knows she holds. This looks to me like a person preparing to get the job done, and in the most effective manner.

LittleWing

The Shuv'hani

Well I have had the Romani tarot for a while now - and what card am I ? - well I am the Shuv'hani (magician). I have always loved the magician and what he stands for - but i have never saw him as 'me' - because he was a male. And now as i get used to this female i see much of myself in her.

ScarabFlight

I see a great strength in her, but it is so much a part of her that she doesn't really take much notice of it. She is relaxed and comfortable with her power. She is beautiful but she can take care of herself and others if the need arises. She has the knife and whip in hand rather than the cup or wheel. It's almost if she had just been back to, heard a noise, and spun around to see what was going on. Aware of her surroundings but not wary. She is definately in charge.

EminemsAngelBaby

Okay this is a night of firsts for me. I'm just noticing for the first time the snake that is coiled around her waist and resting it's head on her arm. We see this same snake later on in the World card coiled in the branches of a tree.To me this suggests great magic and charisma. She holds the knife and wand in her hands with purpose and looks out at the viewer with intent in her eyes. She is in the act, a steely focus that cannot be broken and seems to overtake the viewer.

Emeraldgirl

I love this card. She seems to have a fount of knowledge at her fingertips and with all the expertise to use it well. She is very seductive and mesmorising and can draw you in that way as opposed to roadside trickster illustrated in other decks. By her clothes and jewellery compared to the other people in the deck you can she that is someone who is put on show to draw people in but she could just as easily do that without the costume.

EminemsAngelBaby

I like your idea here of her charisma and magnetic quality drawing you in....

Mi-Shell

My maternal grandmother was the Shuvain of our clan of Manoush, who worked for the circuses in Central Europe at the turn of the last century. I have written about her and her Tarot and crystal ball reading and other things in several posts here on the forums....
I have no picture of her, whe she was young.
- She was born 1875 in France.
Looking at this card I can envision her.
She was not as tall and a bit more "rotund" but still!!!!!!