Looking For ...

Mistteak

I was looking for a few decks that were more traditional. But was not sure what deck that is available (normally from amazon) was deemed Traditional. I am wanting to expand my studies and looking for decks that are easily recognised to work with. .. But on the other hand those I saw did not really grab me .. is this deck more Modern art type?? I normally go for detail and fine, family animal etc.. But history is history! :)

Laura Borealis

I'm not sure exactly what you mean when you say traditional. But the Thoth is a major deck in the world of tarot - very influential, and worthy of study. There's loads of information here on the forum to help you, too.

I would call the art modern, yes. It's definitely a 20th century style. The artist was influenced by Cubism, among other influences. You can see all the cards here (click to enlarge, then you can scroll through them). That way you can see what you think of it and make an informed decision.

Richard

I was looking for a few decks that were more traditional. But was not sure what deck that is available (normally from amazon) was deemed Traditional. I am wanting to expand my studies and looking for decks that are easily recognised to work with. .. But on the other hand those I saw did not really grab me .. is this deck more Modern art type?? I normally go for detail and fine, family animal etc.. But history is history! :)
Yes, the art style of the Thoth was influenced by abstract art. It has certain similarities to Duchamp (such as Nude Descending a Staircase) and others of that ilk. If you want something more traditional, there is the Rider-Waite, but the deeper aspects of this deck are rather obscure, tedious, and technical, and require a lot of "boring" reading, such as Waite's research into various historical and esoteric subjects.

Attachments

• duchamp2a.jpg
    duchamp2a.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 115

Laura Borealis

Or even more traditional - Marseilles, Visconti, and other historical decks.

Mistteak

Thanks guys. I have the RW deck coming, but I was unsure of the Throth deck if the one I was looking at was a modern version of it or if it was the right deck. Thanks for the links. VERY helpful. I will leave it a little while, I think i need more practice before attempting this deck.