(My) New Online Tarot Program

Macavity

Some time ago, I may have (unwisely? :)) referred to my interest in developing "Tarot Programs". I have now put an example up as an online program/website. I use such things for getting an overall flavour of patterns in Elemental Dignities. You are also welcome to try this out on:

http://website.lineone.net/~jhcr/WebTarot/index.htm

I take NO responsibility for this working (nor for fixing it!) but I do suspect it will... given a reasonably up to date browser. I have tested it e.g. in Internet Explorer 5.5+ and (linux) Konqueror 3.0+. I welcome encouragement and/or interest and will endeavour to keep interested parties informed of developments (IF ANY!) Just let me know... :D

One posibility would be to distribute this, so that you could run it on your OWN machine (e.g. as an HTML application - HTA, under windows) Then you could use your own card images and input your own "meanings" or notes, save stuff etc.

Macavity

P.S. Some of the text/graphics have been significantly "denatured" (as is seemingly the way of things in Tarot Programs!) hopefully to avoid copyright problems. If there IS interest, I may pursue acquisition of rights to display such material??? But again, who knows?! :laugh:

jema

i like it!
and if you decide to make it available as a download i would be interested. nice format!
i think it would be most useful to practice with.

firemaiden

Hey Macavity, I think this is way, way cool. I clicked "deal" and happened to get a wonderful accurate reading! (no way! ... yes, way!)

I like how you can click on the card, and see the meaning right there.

I like that it works so fast. I'm looking forward to seeing more development, keep going!

dadsnook2000

Tarot program as a tool

It looks nice. If it were available to download and use as a learning tool two functions come to mind: 1) the card listing would have to have some form of drag & drop or "click" to place a selected card in the next unfilled position in the spread chosen, and 2) there would have to be an edit function to permit the user to write in keywords and/or text for each card's meaning. This could be an electronic journal and might be of interest to many tarot students and teachers. Dave. PS, I hope you do find the time and inclination to do more with this.

Ruby Red Slippers

Macavity:

I must have done something wrong....Said I couldn't - heheh
the "deal" went fine but this is what came up in the "reading" section
Reversed: Hxpxfxl xxtlxxk. fxvxxrxblx xxpxctxtxxns. Nxw xllxxncxs. Affxnxty. Rxtxrn xf xn xld frxxnd. Rxxnxxn.

Ruby Red Slippers

jmd

I too obtained basically the same Gxxhr Hxxsi type Meanings - though I suspect this is because Macavity has not written the actual proposed words in yet..

I use Netscape 6.2 (though updating to 7 very soon).

Very nice indeed...

A three-card spread would also be nice.

Looking forward to further developments :)

Aerin

Ruby Red Slippers said:
Macavity:

I must have done something wrong....Said I couldn't - heheh
the "deal" went fine but this is what came up in the "reading" section
Reversed: Hxpxfxl xxtlxxk. fxvxxrxblx xxpxctxtxxns. Nxw xllxxncxs. Affxnxty. Rxtxrn xf xn xld frxxnd. Rxxnxxn.

Ruby Red Slippers

Hopeful outlook. Favourable expectations. New alliances. Affinity. Return of an old friend. Reunion.

I am somewhat disturbed at having read this so easily with all the x's in place...

Axxrxn

Macavity

Jema (and ALL!) - Thanks for testing it. It's one thing to know it works locally but, there is plenty of scope for gremlins when confronted with another setup. I will indeed "carry on" and keep folks posted. J-M: I am indeed happy to include more spreads - Coming Soon! Glad to know which browser you use on your Mac(?): I can test Netscape on linux. I remain always concious of the relative LACK of software for non-Windoze users! Aside: If anyone uses a system other than Microsoft, I always like to know WHICH browser things work on (or not). ;)

The idea was that it be a "dignities machine". I suspect THREE cards is the key - perhaps set against an Elemental base? And maybe bigger cards! Hope you sussed that the colours followed Paul Hughes Barlow's notion (qv) for Elements: Red: Fire; Blue:Water; Yellow:Air; Green:Earth. But you can also turn them off too...

Firemaiden - Ah, Computers and Tarot. The readings CAN INDEED appear better! I reckon it's due to the numbers being "MORE" random - which must be the desired prerequisite? <ducking> Yet (most of) my decks never really achieve this, owing to my "ordering" them to look-at/learn the cards :laugh:

DadsN - Point taken. I will think about it. There are many techniques tarot-ists use that appeal. We'll see about this automatic/manual dealing, drag 'n' drop stuff. And, despite the potential annoying some purists, I too speculate there are some roles for computers in the LEARNING process - And indeed E-D "math" might be one?

RR and Aerin: The problem of the X-es is as J-M supposes. It's one of copyright - Many images and meanings are published on the web... and I do sometimes wonder. Ah, which is worse: (Crowley's ) "Beelzebub and 43 subordinate deamons" or a (US Games etc.) law suite? :D Alternatively, the program could (maybe) "look for" images and meanings on your local hard-disk. That way you get to make the former and write(!) the latter - as nominally envisaged.

Macavity

P.S. Amusing, those X's... AND weird - The idea came from Edgar Ellan Poe in: "X-ing a Paragrab" http://eserver.org/books/poe/x-ing_a_paragrab.html - Poe only Ex-ed O's? It's surprisingly readable even with ALL the vowels (hopefully) changed. Proof that there's yet hope for human-kind, over machines? })

Macavity

I will keep an updated list of available SPREADS here:

Golden Dawn (Peach's 15-card spread)
Celtic Cross
Three Cards (But no elemental base!)
HorseShoe
Zodiac
Tree of Life

I also do requests... for other spreads ;)

Macavity

P.S. It WILL work with upto 78 cards, needing upto 10 sec to create the random cards on an XP 1800+. But LARGE (i.e. "Opening of the Key") spreads are indeed a possibility :)

allibee

gXXXX, aXXXXXXXX wXXXXXXXXX, LXL

Would Joan Bunning mind if you used her meanings, I wonder

Requests a Horseshoe or double horseshoe spread :O)

A.
www.tarotpeople.com