Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot by lon milo duqutte

Rusty Neon

fyreflye said:
I haven't had time to get into the book, but since DuQuette insists that all his interpretations come directly from Crowley's published work I'm not sure if anyone who's assimilated Crowley's writings (I'm not one of those) would need it.

I haven't had a chance to get ahold of DuQuette's book yet. However, I hope that he will be doing some gap-filling and context-setting and analysis for those of us who don't have the complete baggage and knowledge to understand Crowley's book _The Book of Thoth_. DuQuette may also be referring to to the fact that he is looking at all of Crowley's published works, and not just _The Book of Thoth_, so as to give us a full picture. Like I wrote in a post above, what we really need is footnotes to _The Book of Thoth_.

Kaz

i just got this one from amazon and it looks very interesting.
to be continued....

WolfSpirit

Rusty Neon said:
DuQuette may also be referring to to the fact that he is looking at all of Crowley's published works, and not just _The Book of Thoth_, so as to give us a full picture. Like I wrote in a post above, what we really need is footnotes to _The Book of Thoth_.

There are two new books by DuQuette:

Magick of A. Crowley
and
Understanding A. Crowley's Thoth Tarot

so I think we may assume the second book only deals with the tarot ? Those who already have this book can probably answer this for sure *looks with questioning eyes*

Shade

Has anyone gotten it yet?

Here is Diane Wilkes review from tarotpassages.com

http://www.tarotpassages.com/ThothLMD.htm

I saw it when it arrived at my store and I thought about buying it. I had considered attempting Crowley's The Book of Thoth but this seems like a reasonable facsimile.

Sulis

I definately want this book now. I'm going to put it on my pressie list for Yule.

Love and light

Sulis xx

Rusty Neon

JohnnyVoodoo said:
I saw it when it arrived at my store and I thought about buying it. I had considered attempting Crowley's The Book of Thoth but this seems like a reasonable facsimile.

Hi Johnny ... Duquette's book was expressly conceived by him to be used in conjunction with Crowley's _Book of Thoth_ rather than a replacement for it.

Lee

Rusty Neon said:
Hi Johnny ... Duquette's book was expressly conceived by him to be used in conjunction with Crowley's _Book of Thoth_ rather than a replacement for it.
I don't have DuQuette's book, and perhaps DuQuette modestly says that his book is not intended as a replacement for Crowley's, but from what I understand from Diane Wilkes's review of it, it seems to me that one is not obligated to use both books at once, and that DuQuette's book could indeed be a good choice to use instead of Crowley's if one wants to understand what Crowley's intentions were but doesn't want to struggle through Crowley's book, which some find difficult (including me).

-- Lee

Emily

I've got this book on my Christmas wishlist.

I've tried several times to read Crowley's book and never make it very far in, so my idea is to read DuQuette's book then try and re-read Crowley. The Thoth is a deck I've tried to study but I always feel I'm missing out by not being able to read Crowley but at least with the new book I'll get the basic idea. :)

Aure

I'm seriously thinking about putting this book on my 'must buy when I have the money'-list!

I have Gerd Ziegler's Mirror of the Soul, but to me it is just too 'love yourself, give yourself a reassuring hug'-type of book and doesn't really help me much in interpreting the spreads. I use it occasionally with all the stuff I've printed from Lady Shyra's web pages.

I doubt that I would have the energy to read Crowley's book first because I haven't yet seen a translation in Finnish (although I have 16 years of English studies behind me, some stuff is too much) and second because I have a history of quitting on books that demand too much processing. The book wouldn't probably make any sense to me even if I had a huge dictionary and drew maps and stuff!

VGimlet

I'm studying the Thoth deck right now, and really enjoying this book. It's really helping me "get" the Book of Thoth, too, which previously made my brain burn after only a few minutes. (Me to Mr. Crowley "Just spit it out!") So, I will add my recommendation to the list.

In addition to all the insights into the Thoth deck, it's quite funny, at least *I'm* finding it funny.