Tarot Shadow Work

pentunen

What do people think of this book (Christine Jette, published by Llewellyn)?

I've been thinking of getting it, since I'm intrigued by the concept of using Tarot to connect with my darker sides and heal them, but I'm wondering if this book is appropriate for that, or indeed is any good at it.

- pentu

Kore Persephone

I love this book! This book has helped me tremendously. I have found very few other books on how to do shadow work. This book is a real treasure.

Red Emma

Tarot shadow work

UUummm...shadow work?

jmd

I do not have this book. I must admit that I found Rachel Pollack's comment regarding this book (quoted on the Llewellyn site) somewhat surprising.

She says that healing in the way suggested by Christine Jette 'is part of the work that needs to be done with tarot in this new century'. Certainly a great recommendation from another Llewellyn-published author.

The 'shadow work' suggested, it seems, appears to draw very much from Jungian terminology...

pentunen

jmd said:
I do not have this book. I must admit that I found Rachel Pollack's comment regarding this book (quoted on the Llewellyn site) somewhat surprising.

Sorry, I'm all confused now. Why was Pollack's comment surprising?

*looks Dim*

- pentu

HOLMES

ah

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15600&highlight=shadow

you may not be able to see that though for you have to be a subscriber to access that link.

there been a shadow study group on the book, and i posted my own shadow work here as well.

it is a good book for realizing one lowerself and to face them head on in efforts to accept them and to transfrom them :O)

edited to add,

here is where i did my shadow work in your readings
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5064&highlight=my+shadow+self

jmd

Thanks for the link, Holmes - I rarely check the study Forums, and was not aware of the threads.

With regards to my finding Rachel Pollack's comment surprising, pentunen, it is simply the final part of the quote (which I in turn quote). I suppose that irrespective as to whether one uses the Tarot in order to assist spiritual or psychological development or integration, I thought that to say that it is 'part of the work which needs to be done' with Tarot in this century a little strong.

But thanks for questioning me, for it has certainly made me reflect and think a little more deeply on an important question, which has led to a new thread in Talking Tarot. Namely, What is/are the task/s of Tarot in this 21st century?

darwinia

I like the book and bought it for my birthday last year. I generally don't like to buy too many books but this is a nice way of connecting with a deck for study as well as some psychological work. I like it and I particularly like her section in the back where she explains the significance of each card.

The book currently just uses the Majors, but there is a link on Tarot Passages to an article Christine wrote on furthering your work by incorporating the Minors into your work.
http://www.tarotpassages.com/shadow-cj.htm
I printed this out and have it in my tarot journal.

I don't like to restrict myself to systems, but she has some sensible things to say in the book. I have a quote from the book printed out and taped to my computer--that's a rare thing for me.

I like the book and consider it a gem in my collection.

pentunen

Thanks everyone for your input :)
Tarot Shadow Work has been duly added to my birthday wishlist - and if nobody ends up getting the book for me, I'll get it myself ;)

Blessings,
pentu