Crowley and the I Ching

fyreflye

I ran across this article on Crowley's interest in yijing several years ago on Steve Marshall's excellent site. It occurred to me that some here might find it interesting. Perhaps there's more of the Yi in the Thoth Tarot than we realize. http://biroco.com/yijing/redflame.htm

Aeon418

The Yi is one of a number of systems that Crowley integrated into the schema of the Qabala in his attempt at unifying the diverse spiritual traditions of the world into a combined whole. Much to the disgust of exclusivist Kosher Kabbalists who literally froth at the mouth and shake with rage at the very thought that someone could be so impudent to apply the syncretic method to their already highly syncretic system. :laugh:

I'm not sure why Crowley seemed to prefer the Yi Ching over the Tarot. Maybe he thought the the multiplicity of images in the Tarot pertained to the plane of Yetzirah, while the simplicity of the unified opposites of Yin and Yang were more Briatic.

Personally I like to read the appropriate Yi Ching hexagram whenever I get a troublesome court card in a reading. It's a bit like getting a second opinion.

fyreflye

As you may know, Lon Milo DuQuette included hexagram correspondences among the symbols displayed on his Tarot of Ceremonial Magick.

Aeon418 said:
The Yi is one of a number of systems that Crowley integrated into the schema of the Qabala in his attempt at unifying the diverse spiritual traditions of the world into a combined whole. Much to the disgust of exclusivist Kosher Kabbalists who literally froth at the mouth and shake with rage at the very thought that someone could be so impudent to apply the syncretic method to their already highly syncretic system. :laugh:

I'm not sure why Crowley seemed to prefer the Yi Ching over the Tarot. Maybe he thought the the multiplicity of images in the Tarot pertained to the plane of Yetzirah, while the simplicity of the unified opposites of Yin and Yang were more Briatic.

Personally I like to read the appropriate Yi Ching hexagram whenever I get a troublesome court card in a reading. It's a bit like getting a second opinion.