Cranky and ranting: the Wheel of Change Tarot

firemaiden

lark said:
I think this is the only deck I have ever bought on the basis of one card.
The 10 of Swords.
It just smacked me in the head when I first saw it.
It speaks so loudly to how I feel about gardening, one of my big hobbies.
How the control of nature takes over and through the winter we just wait.
Our gardening tools are in suspended animation, things left right where we dropped them in the fall.
Actually useless untill spring comes again.
What a fresh new way to see the 10 of Swords.

I love your take on this card Lark. It is one of the cards I pulled in the spread.

I have never read the book either.
There are some cards I don't understand...
Like the 5 of Wands...
The 9 of Disks
The 9 of Swords
And some that I think are brilliant.
Like the 2 of Swords.
A scissors and a paper snowflake.
Says to me that what I chose to cut out of my life, the decisions I make will determine the beauty of my snowflake.
And the little paper heart cut in half at the bottom: that some of those decisions will be painful.

I love your take on the 2 of swords. I think this is a neat card too. I also don't get the five of wands. (the candles and the magic spell, LOL - I guess I'll go with Umbrae's view of "ritual" )

I don't know how you would get it out of there short of a lobotamy...
And then I think you'ld lose some other real useful stuff along with it.
So that wouldn't be my first choice.
You might just have to trade it and start fresh.
Much cheaper than a lobotomy and more practical.

Lark, you have me in a furious fit of giggles here!

You know, I'm getting to like it better now. One of my favorite courts is the eskimo mother as queen of cups. My Dad did an explorers expedition to the Inuit people in the fifties, and we have pictures of him dressed up in clothes just like that. LOL

You've all helped me get over being mean and cranky. I enjoyed looking at some of these cards with you. (without the book!) lets look at some more :D

Chronata, you should definitely write to the publisher, or to Genetti herself, and get those cards straightened out!

Ravenswing

and the wheel keeps rolling...

firey one--

'sbeen a long long time since I had this one.

I loved the art-- all those 'oh wow' s (an 'oh wow' is my first wife's term. it happens when you suddenly see something big that you missed the first time around) I tried for a LONG time to figure out any pattern to the border colors-- no luck at all...

I got two great insights from the deck. the first is the connection between the sun, the devil and the emperor via the sun god myths. The second is the connection between the lovers and temperance. I still hold to these two...

I found a lack of coherency to the deck that disturbed me. But that may be entirely me.

As individual cards for contemplation/meditation they worked for me. Except for the eight of wands-- wands racing through outer space hit me wrong... And readings were a no go....

fly well
Raven

Shade

firemaiden said:

Cerulean, you make an interesting observation, that I draw "comfort" from "edgy" decks -- LOL. (How can this be??) (LOL)

I believe I can relate to this one. Some art (especially rennaisance art) is so completely serene and peceful that almost feel claustrophobic about it and I've even had physical discomfort looking at such paintings. For this reason I've been a bit hesitant to work with the Golden Tarot).

If a deck is making you viscerally upset as this one seems to be you might consider grounding with it to see if yo can stabilize your connection to it a bit. Or you could just toss it across the room and go for the instant fix.

firemaiden

Shade said:
If a deck is making you viscerally upset as this one seems to be you might consider grounding with it to see if yo can stabilize your connection to it a bit. Or you could just toss it across the room and go for the instant fix.

ROFL - thanks for that Shade "viscerally upset" - ha, ha. Yes I think you are right.

Ravenswing said:
I found a lack of coherency to the deck that disturbed me. But that may be entirely me.

As individual cards for contemplation/meditation they worked for me. Except for the eight of wands-- wands racing through outer space hit me wrong... And readings were a no go....

Interesting Raven. I wonder if you can remember why/how readings were a "no go" ?

Ravenswing

readings.....

to the voluptuous volcanic vixen--

(I LOVE alliteration. 'specially when it fits }) )

It was the lack of coherency/consistancy that threw me, if I recall rightly. The cards spaned too much time/space for my tastes. And some of the images just didn't sit well. The three of something or another (I'm pretty sure it was a three) being depicted as three electric guitars seemed out of place. :(

I guess I have an unconscious set of 'allowable' images for Tarot. The Chariot from the Rohrig deck is another example...

Just my own prejudices. :|

fly well
Raven

firemaiden

The Three of wands has three flaming electric guitars. My first thought when I see this card is "good place for them"

The Book goes into a high school physics lesson about electricity. And says one thing that throws me right back into the crank bucket. (send ice)
"The loud sound of the electric guitar represents the power of individual creativity. Its noise demands our immediate attention and participation; it calls us to the dance.

The electric guitar is the instrument of a new generation and a symbol of modern times, of freedom and individuality. It exemplifies the creative potential of electricity and the power it has given us. This power represents adolescence and the energy we feel in this part of our lives.

We are moving away from the home and the family but rely on the support we receive from our parents. This is our adolescence as a species: we move away from the natural cycles of the earth, extending the day far into the night through the power of electric light.

We now use the power of electricity , which is an elemental force of nature to move us away from our childhood on the earth. We feel powerful through the use of this force, like the adolescent child who has left home feeling that he has been given control of his life with the skill he learned in childhood and from his parents.

We must still rely on the skills of our early years on the planet; yet, we now move a way from its simple rhythms and harness its powers toward our own goals

1) See-- I knew it!!!!!!!! She has this thing about "noble naked savages"... she has this Rousseau-ian idea of the traditional peoples of the earth as living in a state of blissful "childhood" with the earth.

What is wrong with this vision?

2) The electric guitar represents LOUD, I'll concede. Does it represent creativity? or even individuality? or... does it represent mass culture?

LOUD does not demand my immediate participation, or invite me to dance, it makes me run away screaming.

Then she writes
This card is symbolic of the feeling of strength, independence, and certainty we feel in our adolescence. It represents many aspects of these difficult years, years in which we may be defiant and reject the traditional ways of doing things.

(send ice quick!!!!!!!!) Hello, will everyone who remembers feeling "strength independence and certainy" in adolescent years please raise their hand?

SEND ICE SEND ICE HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP

mj07

ACK! don't think that will be enough ice, Jewel-ry!

I'm bothered, too, by decks that have too much of a personal "agenda" of some sort. Doesn't it kind of unnecessarily narrow your field of vision?

SongDeva

Well, firemaiden, I haven't actually progress beyond experiencing the deck yet. Haven't read with it to be able to report back.
What say I do a reading for you?

smokey

Chronata said:
And then when I first opened it...fresh from the factory... I noticed it was missing about four cards! That's quite a lot! Almost too many to write to the publisher about, (although it nicely included not one, not two...but THREE Death cards!!)

OMG!!! OMG!!! Greetings, Chronata,
Three?!? I was gonna' put a funny face @ top, but was 'fraid you'd get t/wrong idea but I couldn't help but smile, Simply cause
I thought I was the only one that kinda' stuff happened to!(shows
how unique i am, grin...)
On the serious side though, I had one card missing upon open-
ing, & upon writing,it immediately was sent to me;but I don't re-
member if I wrote the publishers or Genetti,as I got the set soon
as it came out,& lost it not long after. You definitely need for some
one to clear t/matter up,though.
Firemaiden, since it's been several years, I can't recall the 5 of
Wands, though, personally candles & ritual sound sorta' cool w/me (I distinctly recall Lark's card, as I usta' be a former gardner;we just happen to live in an apt. now...sniff...