Trimming the Thoth

thinbuddha

OK, I know that there have been threads about this, but I think that I can't stand it much longer: I am going to be trimming my Thoth.

Now- there are two main options open to me:

Option AI can take it to a printing shop and have them cut it with their professional paper cutter. This would mean that each card would be exactly the same size and shape- just as if it came from the manufacturer this way. But this scares me for a couple reasons. For one thing, this means that the whole deck (all 80 cards) are cut in only 4 cuts. In other words, if the pictures aren't exactly in the same place from card to card, there will be white borders on some cards, and not others (real ugly possibility!). Another frightening thing would be the fact that these paper cutters have a hydrolic press that pushes the paper down to keep it from slipping out of place as the blade cuts through..... this can warp cards if not adequately protected.

Option BThe other option is both tedious and imprefect: doing it by hand. Using scisors or a paper cutter of some kind, and making 4 cuts for each card.... Not an exact science- I can't imagine that I could ever make the deck perfect doing it this way (how could I?).

So- has anyone out there cut into a US Games large Thoth using option A? How did it work out? Did you end up cutting away too much (or not enough) of some of the images? In a perfect world, I'd liek to find a place that will rent me a paper cutter for an hour or so so I can do it up right, but I'm afraid this probably isn't something that I will be able to find.

FraterGrant

I trimmed a small thoth by hand. I loved it for like 2 weeks, and then I hated it. It was annoying. The size, the feel of the cards, everything changed. I wouldn't trim them. I hated my trimmed deck and I ended up trading it away and getting a new one.

thinbuddha

well- the flip side of that would be that you started with the small deck- you ended up with a deck that is way too small to be of use. But I am worried about the feel of the cards- if they aren't even, it would suck and make shuffling a chore... That's why I'm looking at the possibility of doing it in a print shop. They would feel right if I did.

Blue Fury

Well, I have been suffering from a similar dilemma. I blame Yaboot. If he hadn't done such a good job on his cards I wouldn't even be considering this :)

I still can't bring myself to cut up my big Thoth. I have had it since early teens (over the hill now;) ) and just can't face butchering it. But I was given a small version of Thoth as a carry round deck. Trouble is it would definitely be too small for me once chopped :(

I need a spare big deck I think, on which to experiment.

If you explain to the print shop what you need, and your concerns, they may be willing for you to use their cutter yourself, or maybe they can allay your fears.

Let us know how you get on

yours nervously ;)

Fury x

Dwaas

I trimmed my pocket Thoth and yes it is very small. But that's a good thing because I have small hands. It is my favorite mini, most used deck as I carry it with me all the time and I just LOVE it!

And what's more, it's cut even! How did I do that? I took out my scissors. Just nice sharp big kitchenscissors. To make sure they are sharp someone here learned us to cut a few times through aluminiumfolie, and that makes them sharp indeed!

The borders of the pocket Thoth (so I presume of all Thoth decks) do not vary in size. The length and width is for all cards the same. So if you would bring the deck away to professionals I am sure it will be cut even. I did it with scissors and it was not difficult at all. But now comes the interesting part. The cutting went fine, but I was not so satisfied with my corners, I used a toenail clipper and first I was happy with the results. But then, after some time, I was not happy anymore because the corners were not exactly the same and it started to annoy me.
Then I bought the finest sandpaper and wrapped it around a small quadrant piece of wood. And I sanded the corners (all cards together in one time) carefully and now you would think the deck came out like this from the factory. After the sanding I rubbed the corners with a cotton cloth to make sure they are smooth. If, for some reason the sides of the deck would not be perfectly even I think the sandpaper is a resolution as well. Only make sure it is the absolute finest sandpaper you can find and the wood thing is long enough to make nice soft strokes.
Just wanted to share this, maybe you find it useful as well.
Happy trimming!
Blessings

Rosanne

I trimmed my green edged Thoth with a photo trimmer and a slide rule and used a card corner trimmer to round the four corners. I trimmed any larger trims with scissors. I would never have used the deck otherwise. The only thing that is wierd is the back design it is now off centre with the cross points, but that is still ok by me. I felt decidedly sinful doing it, and have not done it to any other decks, but the artwork is improved without the borders. ~Rosanne

Dwaas

Thanks Rosanne for reminding me of the backs. When you trim the Swiss editions, with the ugly white border on the backs as well, you will have no center-problems with the backs. The cross is perfectly centered on my mini Thoth :)

Kissa

how funny you should bring the subject, thinbuddha because guess what i've been doing for the last two hours...

TRIMMING my brand new big Thoth i received yesterday from Tarot Garden (i was doing it with Jeannette's silent and resignated agreement...)

Yep, two hours and the deck is done.

I went shopping this morning and got good quality tools. The option A didn't come to my mind because i doubt some printer would do it here anyway and i love the physical work of trimming my decks myself. it creates a special relationship.

So my deck is handmade which means that all cards are not exactly the same size but there is no big difference that would make it look super ugly.

[size=+2]Some useful info[/size]

-> Tools used for the borderectomy:
**** Fiskars trimmer: http://www.fiskarscrafts.com/tools/...22cm-euro-personal-paper-trimmer/default.aspx
**** Fiskars corner edger: http://www.fiskarscrafts.com/tools/...edgers/scallop-paper-edgers-wide/default.aspx

Took everything from the American Fiskars website so if you are interested, these articles must be available easily for you, US trimmers!

-> Size DOES matter
Original size on Dec. 28th, as received shrinkwrapped from West Des Moines: 9 x 14.5 cm or 3-3/4 in. x 5-1/2 in.
Tuned size on Dec. 29th after a two-hour surgery with only one surgeon: the trimmed big Thoth is just a bit larger than the not-trimmed small Thoth (7 x 11 cm or 2.76 in. x 4.33 in.) : 2.99 in. x 4.45 in. is the new size. Not a big difference, physically (the handling and shuffling is possible while it was impossible with the big size) but visually it's stunning!

-> BEWARE!
the only problem maker card is the OTO card as the text is wider than the images on other cards... but then again, who uses the OTO card in readings eh??? ;)

-> Cardbacks
they are perfect too or almost, which was my purpose. The cross is centered or if it's not, there is only a 1-2 mm difference from left to right.

i am too lazy to take pics of my new deck now but i will if someone wants close-ups for example.

and i can always give my two cents if someone is asking...

[size=+2]Conclusion: a real piece of cake considering the annoyance those ugly borders brought me...
[/size]

kissa

thinbuddha

sanding?

Ohhh- sanding the edges to bring to perfection...... interesting idea. This didn't "fray" the paper or leave the corners ratty?

What size sandpaper did you use (how coarse was the grit?)

Kissa

Pierrick Pinot (Tarot d'Argolance, Tarot de la Félicité) is pictured on his website sanding his deck. It is a traditional technique for handmade decks, but i am unable to give you further details about the "roughness" of the sandpaper used. I guess one used for modelling and sanding the very soft wood used in (plane) modelling would be ok.

Here are some pics of my new deck but some are really unfocused, i'm sorry, i tried the zoom function in my underexposed kitchen and it didn't come too well.

Attachments

• 29.12.2005 034.jpg
    29.12.2005 034.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 1,618
  • 29.12.2005 036.jpg
    29.12.2005 036.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 1,368
  • 29.12.2005 037.jpg
    29.12.2005 037.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 716
  • 29.12.2005 042.jpg
    29.12.2005 042.jpg