"Petit Etteilla" cartomancy deck - Keywords

Rusty Neon

As you may know, the "Grand Etteilla" deck has two keywords for each card: one for upright, and one for reverse side. The "Petit Etteilla" has _8_ keywords for each card: 4 for upright, and 4 for reverse side (but for some cards, only 6 keywords, 3 for each direction). I would like to know how and when to harness _all_ 8 of those keywords! The LWB doesn't help very much. Unless I'm reading the LWB wrong, the reading examples in the LWB only seem to use the first upright keyword and the first reversal keyword.

Does anyone who has the Petit Etteilla deck know an/the _official_ way as to how to determine, in the case of an upright card, which one of the 4 upright keywords is applicable in a reading and how to determine, in the case of a reversed card, which one of the 4 reversal keywords is applicable?

Thanks in advance!

Rusty Neon

By the way, I found a internet location where you can see scans of some of the cards from this deck.

http://membres.lycos.fr/tarobat/mesjeux/Jeux.htm
(At the bottom of the page, click on Petit Etteilla. Then click on the individual card scans to make them enlarged.)

Logiatrix

OOPS!
Nevermind!
:D

Logiatrix

....HOWEVER....

On second thought, perhaps my suggestion is still useful (though I don't have this deck--see my post in the Marseille thread)....
I still would like to suggest that ALL the keywords need not be used.
Perhaps they are utilized more 'buffet' style: that is, you choose the appropriate word or phrase according to the cards neighboring the card in question.
I'm thinking a story can be construed from these multiple options, kind of like fitting the pieces of a puzzle together.
:)

Rusty Neon

Hi Tauna ... Alas, we may never know an/the "official" way of harnessing the various keywords of the Petit Etteilla deck. However, I agree with you. The way you mention is, coincidentally, along the lines of how I was thinking too. The various keywords pertaining to a given upright card (say, the King of Hearts) can be viewed as alternative keywords, the one to be used depending on the context, i.e., the question, the spread, the background facts, and, of course, our intuition. It's much the same thing with our RWS decks. We generally have more than one keyword in our repertoire; the one to use depends on the context. In this way, the Petit Etteilla is more interesting than the Grand Etteilla, which gives only one keyword (rather than multiple keywords) per upright card.

P.S. As you may know, the Grand Etteilla keywords were expanded on by the Etteilla School so that, for each keyword, there was a whole string of word-associated and concept-associated "synonyms" to the keyword. The same could be done for each one of the various keywords listed on the given Petit Etteilla card.

MatPoint

Hi everyone,

I have also this deck, it's a misterious one, isn't it?

Well, If haven't understood it wrong, we have to use always the first keyword. The exception is when the the number of the card to the left-hand side of the card that we are reading matches with the number of one of the keywords, in this case I would read the keyword for the matching number instead of the first keyword.

Does that makes sense? I promess I thoght it was like that when I read the demo readings in the LWB.

Mat

MatPoint

Hi Eric, I'm sure you have many things to say about this. A study group would a great idea.

RoseBud29

PETIT ETTEILLA B.P. GRIMAUD EDITION ONLY

Hello,

I am new to Aeclectic Tarot and have been reading Tarot for thirty (30) years. Just recently I purchased PETIT ETTEILLA B.P. GRIMAUD which I have been drawn to for some time. I love the deck but an totally baffled on how to read the cards as everyone knows they have messages on all four sides. I have searched on and off the web for books that give an explanation on how to read them in either French or Italian or English or German but so far have found nothing. If anyone knows of anything would appreciate knowing.

Thank you, RoseBud29