Tarot Basics: "Least Favorite Card" Question/Assignment

westsidegirlygirl

The one card that doesn't really click for me is the 9 of pentacles. Its all very appealing, nice garden, nice robes she's wearing (RWS deck), nice control over "nature," - cultivated garden, and over her own nature (the falcon) but my problem with this card is that I don't buy it. The look on her face is one of dissapointment, almost like she's lost. Like she wants to say "is this all there is to life?" but she's too busy posing for her portrait in the center of all of her abundance to put this question to herself honestly.

Something positive? She's tried to do what she thinks is "right," and become the person she was told she was "supposed" to be, which is a mixed positive, I guess.

westside

Mimers

My least favorite card is the 5 of Swords. I always get the same impression when I see it. One of arrogant defeat. Rubbing someone's nose in something. These are not nice things. How do you convey this tactfully when you are doing a reading for someone? Also when I get it in a reading for myself, I actually get offended by the card! "that's not me!" or something to that effect.

Ok, so something positive about this card? Um, well, it makes me take a good look at myself at the very least. Am I treating other people fairly in a certain situation? Am I listening to them or cutting them off and saying my way or the highway? It is a wake up call for self evaluation.

Mimi

cyclamen

Hm... I was going to try and be creative, but I really don't like the devil card. He usually seems like, gross sexual, not like, sexy sexual. I think of child molesters when I see the devil. Realistically, I know that the devil can represent a need to cut loose and be real and acknowledge hidden desires, and also that he can represent the dark side of life and the things we don't want to see. But I also see it as a card representing things that some people might think of as "crude" but arent... and I guess I just don't like that a card representing... sex, among other things, has to be so damn ugly all the time, and linked with addiction, and with a whole "sodomite" subtext as if *that's* dirty. I really hate that.

Hm... if my positive didn't stand out enough, I guess the positive is the negative. Most of the other cards are easy to see in a good light, but I guess I see this card as the dark truths we sometimes dont want to hear, or tell.

PisceanRedhead

Okay, so I'm not following the proper order of assignments, but this one stuck out to me as one I wanted to answer right away.

I've been pondering my cards since I bought my RW deck and the one that I've come to fear the most is the three of swords.

Perhaps I fear it because the outcome I would like for the current situation I frequently base my readings upon is not at all what the three of swords represents. The three of swords is exactly what I do not want from this situation.

What I do find interesting though, is that when I do tarot readings online and can get an objective analysis of the cards selected, so rarely does this card signify exactly what I perceive it's meaning to be. That's one reason why I'm here... to find out how to read a spread more cohesively and objectively; to discover how each card truly influences the others in the spread.

But alone, the three of swords is the card I dread seeing the most.

Shelma_Star

Hello! It's the first day I'm posting here and I thought I should take part in the thread (even though it looks a bit old) as a way of introducing myself here ))

Well, my least favourite tarot card is the Emperor!
I strongly dislike this card and all that it represents (strict structures, leadership, control etc). Whenever I get it as an advice card, I know it's impossible for me to follow its advice! Even though I can understand its value of strong will and courage, I have always had issues with authority figures in my life, so maybe that's why i dislike this card...

Dogmother

Shelma I'm glad you found this thread and posted. I haven't been at AT very long myself and never saw this thread before.

My least favorite card has always been the Hierophant. For me it always screamed xtianity rules, and I find the church to be extremely oppressive and out of touch with my spiritual path. When it would show up in one of my readings I just thought, "This is one of THEIR messages. Nothing for me here except to avoid and ignore".

About a year ago I started working with the Victorian Romantic deck and in that Hierophant depiction I'm not put off at all. In it the jewish elder is teaching and sharing with kids. Since I don't feel any negatives, I'm able to finally see some positives in "traditional teachings".

It amazes me what different decks can bring out for me.

Shelma_Star

Dogmother said:
Shelma I'm glad you found this thread and posted. I haven't been at AT very long myself and never saw this thread before.

My least favorite card has always been the Hierophant. For me it always screamed xtianity rules, and I find the church to be extremely oppressive and out of touch with my spiritual path. When it would show up in one of my readings I just thought, "This is one of THEIR messages. Nothing for me here except to avoid and ignore".

About a year ago I started working with the Victorian Romantic deck and in that Hierophant depiction I'm not put off at all. In it the jewish elder is teaching and sharing with kids. Since I don't feel any negatives, I'm able to finally see some positives in "traditional teachings".

It amazes me what different decks can bring out for me.
Oh, THIS card! The Hierophant is my second least favourable. In fact, I never feel confident enough that I do get his message right in a reading...

chickeypie

The Heriophant/Pope is also my least favourite, he seems to be unfreindly, rigid andvery structured. For some reason when these traditional structures remind me of when I was a child and a teenager and I was constantly told by my peers and adults that I was weird and "abnormal" and constantly comapred to those who fitted in. "the good children" the ones who fitted the terms to qualify for something.

The positive side. Sometimes he can stand for the traditional route when a choice has been made of which path to take. The "path less traveled" can be risky and it can lead to failure. Safer doesn't have to mean less exciting. I also seen this card represent in a reading for a friend of mine that he would suceed in his university exams and that he was advised to go on to do a masters if that was what he wanted. The reading made perfect sense to him and it came to pass.

On an aside I like this tread as it shows the postive and negative that can be seen in every card. I used to be afraid of the Tower but one day I did a reading and it's alternative meaning as a sudden irrestistable explosion of force came to me and now I see in a different light.

Dogmother

Chickey I know exactly what you mean about the not fitting in! I always felt so odd. I called it, "not the middle of the bell shaped curve" from my work/studies in psychology. That was why I never really liked the 10 Cups image either - that picture wasn't me or what I wanted. As I've aged I've seen the value of "family"; just not the "traditional" one pictured.

NamasteIndia

i never really thought about my least favourite card
But yes there would be two cards first one would be 9 of swords

well i had troubled thinking always and when added with insomnia it could be more of pain. I can understand how difficult it would be to get sleeplessness and insomnia and 9 of swords is all about that restlessness

Next least favourite is 10 of swords its a card which shows about ends whether end of job, end of relationship, end of something which one likes. Its quite a sad card and very painful.