Haindl Study - Sir Percival Son of Cups

caridwen

I've been doing some digging into this card because it's been coming up representing me or aspects of myself recently.

The key elements I associate with him are:

Naivety
High Morals
Purity of intention
A calling
Romanticism

From the research I've been doing he was one of the knights (along with Sir Galahad and Bors) who achieved the Holy Grail because of the purity of his heart. The stories differ but one myth gives an account of how he saw and fell in love with a beautiful maiden and was about to consumate their relationship when his eyes fell on the hilt of his sword and its red cross - the sign of the crucifixion - which reminded him of his knightly duties and his holy quest. He left the lady there and then and she turned into a hideous old hag who had been attempting to thwart him. In other stories he dies a virgin and still others he is married to the Holy Grail maiden, Lady Blancefleur and had a son who became the local king and Black Knight.

It is also said that he went to the castle of the Fisher King and observed the Holy Grail ceremony but because he had been warned not to ask too many questions, he failed to realise what he was witnessing and missed his chance. However, when he realises his mistake, he vows to find the Holy Grail and subsequently does.

Although Sir Percival was brought up by his mother in a forest, it is also told that he came from good family. Before he becomes a knight he had to prove himself because he was totally naive as to the ways of the world and knew nothing of courtly etiquette. Yet it is also said that this was the virtue that won him the Holy Grail.

Anyone else got anything to add?