The Tarot Playbook - HIGHLY recommended

firefrost

Hmmm...is it a better idea to have a book bulging with scribbled bits of notations or specially inserted blank pages for said notes?

I think I'd want the book with blank pages to be spiral bound though, so when info is no longer needed it can be torn out.

jema

Oh cool idea, i even used to work at a printers, i bet they do it for me for just the cost of the spiral.
and to throw in some blank pages would be a piece of cake too then.

firefrost

Okay, now I'm getting jealous! :laugh:

shadowdancer

so am I. Mine was apparently sent by Barnes & Noble 3 weeks ago - still no sign. I had to go via them as at the time, BD had cancelled my order due to it not actually being in stock. The wait is starting to niggle me.

And to top it all, we now have had a) no post Monday due to Public Holiday b) no post yesterday due to heavy snow c) no post today due to unmelted snow now being an icerink and the liklihood of the same tomorrow.

I will only wait one more week before hassling them for tracking info.

And yes, I want the book NOW. :D :D I am usually very laid back about waiting for stuff to arrive. I don't get all girly and squealy if that makes sense. But after 3 weeks? Patience starts to wear off.

If it arrives at the same time as the Zombie tarot I will be in for a couple of weeks of sheer fun I reckon. Hopefully the two compliment each other. :D

caz241

Got mine- yay. Haven't had a chance to read it yet :(
Hopefully won't be long until I do :)

shadowdancer

Mine has arrived, and I have to say so far I am impressed. Still reading through the majors, but already there are a few exercises I will have a go with. May choose two decks, one being the Illuminated and the other.... not decided yet.

This is a refreshing addition to any library IMO. And I were to run classes, I think I would have this as a recommended course book. If you can learn and have fun at the same time, you are more likely to be enthused to keep learning with further exercises.

The writing style is straight forward, no frills and it is as if the author has got into my head with regards what I hate, what I attempt and usually give up at around the fifth hurdle. No preaching, no intense or long drawn out slog of exercises. Just fun and real potential to learn one heck of a lot from a deck.

If the minors follow suit, this book will potentially give me hours of fun. And as I am still zombieing, fun is the way to go for now. :)

shadowdancer

Well, I have ploughed through it and I have to say -it is a little gem of a book.

I think if you were to work through many of the exercises regarding the court cards, you would probably know them better than you know your own family. They really do have the potential to open up so much by way of a better understanding. Yet the exercises are fun and not bogged down with symboloy or psychology.

It is refreshing to see a work book on the market that brings fun back to learning. A big thumbs up from me to the author :) :)

Oh as an aside, there are 18 exercises that have caught my eye. I may well be trying one this week, to see how the storylines for Eastenders pan out. :D

firefrost

It is fun, isn't it?

I've got a few other things going on just now so not had time to be with it, but I do so enjoy the fact that you go into this book with an attitude for fun rather than study (which can become tedious) and end up learning so much with no pressure!

Definitely hats off to Pipistrelle. By rights, this book should make her rich. If it doesn't, there's no justice!

marimorimo

Just curious: as The Tarot Playbook is an exercise book as the Greer's 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card is also ultimately an exercise book, what are the differences between the two? Is the Playbook recommended even if I already own 21 Ways?

gregory

The two are VERY different. The Playbook you don't actually READ - you get to know your cards. Hard to explain - but for instance - piling and sorting all 78 cards to decide who did a murder - well, Mary Greer doesn't do anything like that !

I have both and Mary Greer is VERY interesting - Pipistrelle is more "fun" and gets you right into your deck almost by accident.

Mary has actually commented on it in this very thread !

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=3145994&postcount=6