Madame Endora's (Secret Circle) Study Group: The Spirit

Alissa

THE SPIRIT: Unseen Forces Watch Over You

From The Book: The spirit is a watchful protector. You are influenced and guided by higher powers. Apparent setbacks may have long-term benefits. All things happen for a reason.

A blonde fairy, or perhaps angel, in a flowing crimson robe stands holding a skull, contemplating it. The look on her face is serene. There is a slight glow around the skull, as if it radiates energy. A gilded frame provides the background some filigree to the navy blue behind it. This card *particularly* reminds me of Mucha's famous Job poster.

This card is Serendipity's twin sister. The wings are different, the hands holding items are of course different.

The colors are bold and yet not aggressive. Primary colors, but done in a way that is lush, is what I see... a rich crimson, a burnished gold, and a midnight blue.

I am going to work very very hard at banishing the Hamlet "Alas- poor-Yorrick" reference I get every single time I see a figure holding a skull. Talk about theatre gone bad.

Instead, I see a blessed figure who gently cradles in her hand "that which came before." It has passed... whomever this was is no longer. All things pass. I sense no grief or loss in this card, despite the evidence of the past that she continues to carry with her.

Also, I get a different feeling, like looking at the card and letting it refract a little different light. It feels also like a guardian angel, or a Spirit Guide, one whom watches over you in life, during mortal corporeality, as referenced here by the skull.

September Pixie

I will scan a photo of this card in the next post :) I also wanted to *bump* and add this to the index sheet :D

September Pixie

Perhaps the skull is her way of divination? Is she smiling watching the Quester or because she knows what lay ahead? The red of her dress speaks to me of loving guidance...

Attachment is of this card! Everyone can participate!

Attachments

• thespirit.jpg
    thespirit.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 305

sagitarian

I just got this deck (after ordering off of ebay) the other day. This was one of the cards that i was automatically drawn to stare it for a bit. I looked up the meaning in the lwb, and yes, that seems to fit, what it says on the card, how it defines this card a bit further in the book, but there's "more", it goes deeper then that.

I have yet to fully understand the deeper aspect of this card, but it feels like she's an angel to me, looking down upon the skull with total unconditional love. As if to say "you're perfect just the way you are". I do feel that the skull is representing that which is mortal and alive on earth, and she (the angel) representing that which is waiting for us in the afterlife. And the symbolism is that your guide has moved in close to you during your time of need right now. I would think about encouraging myself or the querent with thinking about what prayers or guidance have they asked for as of late, and that their guardian/guide/angel has crept in a bit closer to your soul in order to help guide you in the right path.

Sagitarian

Chronata

The idea of divine protection comes up a lot for me, in regards to this card.

Also...this card proceeds the comming of miracles, coincidences and sychronicity...especially if I...or the person I am reading for...has recently prayed or asked for guidence.

Deidrui

The Spirit

Hidden forces, but what hidden forces are watching over you? As we can see she is holding a skull. This could represent our ancistories watching over us or if we are dark, it could be dark forces.

Reversed:

Unprotected.

Chronata

I got this card yesterday.
Which made me feel much much better about my current situation and finances!

But as I was looking at the card...I got a strange reaction to it...
I had never noticed just how skinny the figure on this card is...a kind of thin that looks seriously unhealthy!

And that...coupled with the skull..made me think of someone who is dying.

What an odd reaction! I can't imagine why I thought this way!

But then a voice in my head reminded me...that this is Spirit...and the idea of physical bodies is really just an illusion.

But I know that angels and spirits can sometimes take a physical form for a time.

I believe that is why she looks in contemplation at the skull...the shell, that does not, in the long run, really matter when it comes to the strength and immortality of the Spirit.

But I also got the idea that I should not only look to guides and angels...but I should also look to and appreciate those angels on earth...who currently reside in physical bodies...and maybe those who are dying.

I recently met a few wonderful men. Each one was HIV positive. I hope I will get the chance to meet with them again, next month...and do readings as I had promised.

I really don't know why the physical form of Spirit would cause me to rethink this card. But that is the absolute wonder of this deck...and why I love it so much.

Lillie

I got this deck yesterday, and am begining to get to know the cards.
opefuly I will be able to participate in these discussions.

The Spirit card is very beautiful (as is the whole deck).

And, in reference to Chronatas comments on how thin she is, I would like to mention something I noticed today when I drew the card.
And I mean this seriously, although it's hard to think how to say it without sounding like I'm having a laugh.

She's got large breasts. Or at least she appears too, from the one side of her we can see.
To me this would speak against her being 'over thin' in an unhealthy way.
Most people who loose serious weight from illness, loose it from the bust as well.
'So I would tend to see her as one of those lucky people who are only thing in the right places.
But of course this is only my reaction to her, I would not wish to tell anyone else how they should see/interpret her.

Anyhow, that is a minor point.I looked at this card for a long while earlier today, wonderig about the skull she was holding, and the words about unseen forces watching over you'.
What I though, seeing he skull in conjunction with the words,was that se brought messages from the dead, and from the 'other world'.
She has wings, which is reminiscent of a fairy.
He rname is 'The Spirit'.
She holds a skull and looks down at it with so much tenderness.
To me this seems to say that she, a being from another realm, gaurds and guides the dead, she brings messages from them to us, she facilitates their will.
The unseen forces mentioned are both she herself, and the dead, represented by the skull.
I would also think that when it is my turn to die she will guide me there, and, if it is not my turn yet, she will keep me and protect me from the greatest harm.

She is the gateway between the realms, Between the seen and unseen, life and death.

I don't know, just my thoughts.

Chronata

Lillie said:
She is the gateway between the realms, Between the seen and unseen, life and death.

What a lovely interpretation, Lillie!

I continue to see this figure in a new light, everytime I read with this deck!

Congratulations, BTW...on getting these cards...they are really astounding and beautiful, aren't they?

Check out some of the other threads about Endora in the study group's archive...

I love to see personal interpretations...and I am curious what else you might see in other cards too!

Lillie

Oh yes! They are really beautiful!

They are a mixture of all the art styles I love the most. Egyptian, Art nouveau, gothic. Perfect.

And because they are totally original, and because the booklet meanings are so brief, I find it frees my mind to really explore the cards and see what they mean to me with out being constrained by the long tradition of the tarot, or long explanations in accompanying books.

Not that I mind that. I love the tradition of the tarot, and although I do use intuition when reading, this is always guided by the traditional meanings. But it is nice to have a deck where my mind has almost total free rein!

I will certainly be checking out the other threads,thank you.