Fairy Lights Card Pairs: The Hanged Man and xxx

Hemera

I think the Hanged Man is one of the scariest cards in this whole deck. There is a man who is about to die and fall down to the ditch below. All those bones and skeletons show what his destiny will be and that he is not the first one. The evil fairy who devours men is the Spider Woman Fairy who has weaved the man into the tight cocoon. He is totally helpless and I´m not sure anyone can help him. The LWB says we have to” surrender “and” learn” which usually fits the Hanged Man card but I´m not sure about this particular Hanged Man. It looks like it is too late for him to learn anything since he is about to fall and perish.

Not even those people in its card pair look like they could help him. They are mostly what looks like small fairy children and they are all too busy picking berries in that Nine of Pentacles.
Somehow I feel that these two adult fairies know each other very well. They could be sisters or maybe just sides of the same entity in some way? They make up a pair that looks like a good fairy and a bad fairy but maybe both are different sides of the same thing - the inexorable forces of nature, perhaps, where everybody is somebody´s dinner? The good fairy is vegetarian and eats berries and the Spider fairy looks evil to us because she can´t live on berries and has to eat meat. Hm.. :bugeyed: So is she really evil at all? Interesting, isn´t it? (ETA: I´m thinking of wolves who are often seen as evil -although I bet they´d eat carrots if they could since those are much easier to catch! )

Attachments

• The Hanged Man and 9 Pentacles.jpg
    The Hanged Man and 9 Pentacles.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 269

Gulliver

I think it is not clear, whether the hanged man has to die or the fairy. Maybe (why not?) the fairies who are evil, drop from the tree...and the man is a surrender. Only one thought.

Or better: It's the same fairy, on the left side you can see the situation a few minutes before the situation on the right side. The Fairy is rich, she is stable and rich of emotional feelings. She has the potential to rescue the man, who is caught in his own net of fears and impossibilities. He looks in his own spirituell abyss and can't see a way out. The confrontation with the abyss is important for him to change something in his life. But rescue is near.

Could you go with this interpretation?

Hemera

Could you go with this interpretation?
But of course! :) I like your interpretation and I think there are so many possible ways to see these cards. Yes, it could be the same fairy. On the right she would be in her PMS mood or something :D

Kimber

How do you know what the card pairs are? There's no list in the lwb....

Gulliver

@Kimber: You have to puzzle a little bit and to compare, than you will find out the cards belonging together. In the study group I've seen a list with all pairs, if you are too impatient to puzzle so you can look at this list.

@Hemera: What could be the most probable interpretation, or would you say, it is not the same at every time, the meaning will change?

Hemera

@Kimber: Here is a link to the post where all cards are listed http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=196489
Several people have said they want to pair the cards up themselves so that is why we avoud naming the pairs in the titles.

You can find all Fairy Lights threads in the list above (in the opening page of this sub forum) called Index of Study Groups. Click that and you´ll find Fairy Lights Tarot.

@Gulliver: I think many interpretations are possible.
I have notebooks for some of my favorite decks where I list all possible meanings that I can think of and that are suggested by others. In a reading I try to pick the one that resonates best and that my intuition says is the right one.

Aeon.of.Horus

9 Pentacles = Earth - Virgo
Hanged man = Water - Water
Earth & water are friendly but passive.

So here we see that the elements are coming together in this pair. Here we see just one Zodiacal entity coupled with a double element which would suggest that the balance is slightly offset. Water water is the Hanging Man's elemental charge while in the 9 Pentacles we have zodiacal Virgo which is of Earth element. We all know what happens when water touches earth, it quenches our mother and life can flourish, but add more water to this equation and what do we get? Deep gorges and erosion that's what. See 'Grand Canyon' for details on this...

So let us see what each of these cards are trying to say.

Card 1 - 9 Pentacles:~ Here we see a beautiful faerie mother with her children out picking Blackthorn berries, which is renowned to have many magickal properties. The wood of the Blackthorn tree was traditionally used by witches as staffs and also wands. It represents the (negative) influences of forces outside your power, especially those that are opposed to your success, and it has been used to try to gain malevolent control of other peoples minds. Keeping with this magickal tree Blackthorn for the moment because it is depicted in many fairy tales throughout Europe, such as Sleeping Beauty as a tree of ill omen. Called Straif in the Ogham, this tree has the most sinister reputation in Celtic tree lore. The English word ‘strife’ is said to derive from this Celtic word. A long hard winter is referred to as a Blackthorn Winter.

Card 2 - Hanged man:~ Here we see the faerie mother's husband bound up in a web of his own doing. He is there being taught a firm albeit scary lesson from the spider faerie. I just don't get the feeling that she is preparing him for lunch, she has something much more sinister in mind than simply death. This guy has to learn a lesson! Again we see the Blackthorn tree and traditionally, Blackthorn is used in protection against evil, creating boundaries, purifying and confronting our own darker side. Blackthorn has been used extensively to dispel negativity, toxins, old wounds, and impurities from within. I has also added this little Druidic poem which sprang to mind when I first put these two cards together as a pair.

With Blackthorn staff,
I draw the bound.
All malice and bane,
I thus confound.

Which led me to the conclusion that "This guy has to learn a lesson!" :)

Now let us put these two cards together and see what story emerges from within their art work.

So there was once a fae lady, a very well to do kind of fae lady who found out a secret. One of her faerie friends saw her husband with another woman and as you can well imagine she wasn't the best pleased with him. As you well know you never get caught on your first time and she had long suspected him of having a string of affairs in the past. So she spoke with her friend the spider faerie and between them they decided upon a punishment fit for such a cad. She then went home and asked her husband to go into their garden as she had a surprise waiting for him under the blackthorn tree, so off he went happy in the thought of his surprise, but little did he know what was really in store for him. When he got to the tree he noticed many skeletal remains under the tree and at first a feeling of fear and panic struck him but just as he was about to run he heard a gentle whisper of a very feminine voice. He stopped and answered "hello, who is there"? He heard the whisper again but this time it seemed closer, and it was whispering some very erotic and naughty but playful things, telling him what she would like to do with him if he was willing. Forgetting himself for a minute and where he was, as he was totally overcome with passion and lust, he answered "show yourself to me" and quick as a flash something grabbed him from above span him around so fast that all he could see was a blind white blur, the G-force was such that he passed out. A few minutes later he came too and he was suspended not so high off the ground and was bound so tight in a silken thread that he could hardly breathe let alone move his hands to even attempt to free himself. He could however move his neck to see the spider faerie looking down on him and taunting him about his past indiscriminate promiscuity and wrong doing to his wife and young family. And that he was to stay there until they (his wife, children and the spider faerie) were convinced of his remorse.
This is what we see....
What happens next is that the berries his wife and children have picked, they throw at him in a similar manner to when someone was put in the stocks and shamed publicly for minor crimes.

Like I said this guy has a lesson to learn and the only way he will learn it is if he looks at life from a different angle and sees just what he has and can lose if not careful. = The Hanging Man yes :)

She on the other hand is a self made woman who has everything she needs in abundance, in this instance is a good friend spider faerie so friendship, love from her children, and all the berries she need to chuck at her husband lol = 9 Pentacles yes :)

Just my thoughts :livelong:
Let me know what you think...

Aeon