Tarot in Movies

muteswan

I love the cards used in the Hellboy director's cut. If only they'd publish them like they did with that Hellboy Ouija board!

lunalafey

I just watched "Ocean's 12"....During the character introductions, one of the original 11 is sitting in Vegas getting his palm read- one card; RWS 5 of Wands sits on the table.
With that I watched the movie with the card in mind.
Props department did thier research.

Knight_of_Swords

Back in the 1980s, an episode of the UK TV series Robin of Sherwood featured a reading with a Marseille deck - a tad anachronistic for the turn of the 13th century perhaps, and even more anachronistic in that the cards seemed to have Qabalistic names.

For those that never saw the series, it had definite Pagan themes, with Robin regularly communing with the spirit of Herne the Hunter, and encountering assorted witches and sorcerers.

Sechat

Beauty Shop

About 2/3 through the movie, one of the stylists--the one portrayed as most culturally and intellectually inclined is giving a reading to someone.

I could not quite recognize the cards but they seemed to be the Thoth deck.

peace,sechat

wellspring

'Moon & Son' series years ago (UK), and last Friday on Jonathon Ross he showed a clip from Baywatch where some people were doing a Reading on the beach, and looking for a leader .... breeze blew cards up in air, and High Priestess landed on Pammie's chest, which made them think she should be their leader! (Bet the guys secretly knew that one!)

Cat

Sechat

Without A Trace did an episode on the disappearance of a reader 2 recently. It was interesting that the reader did not claim to have any extra sensory or psychic ability and worked with a partner who did claim psychic ability.

The deck used seemed to be the classic RWS.

peace,
sechat

Nydia

I want to add another tv show. It is a cartoon on Cartoon Network called The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy. Sometimes during the end credits, tarot cards depicting the three main characters are shown going by one at a time.

The first card, "Billy", shows him as The Fool. The second card, "Mandy", shows her as The High Priestess. The third card, "Death", shows Grim, who is The Grim Reaper.

I checked The Internet Movie Database and it lists the tarot cards in the crazy credits section. It lists Mandy as The Pope, but I think the card looks like The High Priestess.

WolfyJames

How about tarot in videogames? I'm playing Gabriel Knight 2 - The Beast Within and a psychic at some point did two tarot readings. I didn't recognize the deck but the back was black with a white or silver pentacle. The two readings were accurate and going well with the tarot cards. I want to mention that the game is like a movie with real people and places in it (some places in Germany) so they used a real deck.

SphinYote

WolfyJames said:
How about tarot in videogames? I'm playing Gabriel Knight 2 - The Beast Within and a psychic at some point did two tarot readings. I didn't recognize the deck but the back was black with a white or silver pentacle. ...

Witches Tarot?

Not the 007 Tarot of the Witches but the other one by I think Ellen Cannon Reed? I believe it has a back like that and you can find it here to se the pictures...

Marindahl

Nightmare Alley (1947) is another film with tarot in it. As I recall, Joan Blondell does a reading in the middle of her scheming with Tyrone Power. The Hanged Man turns up--the card for her drunken husband Pete. The Hanged Man falls on the floor, so apparently that means Pete is about to die.

There's all performers at the carnival, so maybe it's not so much of a surprise.