Holistic Tarot - Benebell Wen

Alpha-Omega

There is an amazing new book coming out in January. I received an advance copy from the publisher to do a review. I recommend you consider looking into it. It is extensive I posted the review on my blog link to blog removed by Moderator

The book is over 800 pages. It is a masterpiece.

Zephyros

Looks interesting, although probably not the sort of thing I would go for. I was pleased your review mentioned the absence of Kabbalah, that's the thing I base my Tarot studies on. Hat does the author say about the Thoth (in general terms)?

Citrin

I was really looking forward to getting this book, since I love her blog, but I'm not sure I will actually... I've just realized we don't really share approach to the tarot. I'm with you on the fortune telling aspect, I don't think it should be talked down, as long as it has a positive purpose that isn't deterministic. It can be very helpful in life and get us thinking.

I've also realized that Benebell really does approach the tarot as a science, and is very much like an intellectual thirsty student when it comes to all the different aspects that can be applied to the cards (astrology etc). I also love learning about symbols, colors, the history of the cards, the "traditional meanings" and such... BUT... To me intuition comes first. I'm one of those people telling beginners that they don't have to memorize hundreds of keywords if that's not "their thing". they can start by looking at the cards and getting a gut feeling. So I'm really not sure I'd appreciate the book seeing I don't seem to share her tarot basis so to speak... I don't doubt the book isn't well done though! She's done one hell of a job I can see. :)

I'm gonna continue enjoying her blog either way. Great review btw Alpha-Omega!

Alpha-Omega

To be honest after speaking with her and getting some personal insight I think she is more in line with the rest of the community. What she is against is deterministic fortune telling, ie "this WILL happen". The community generally preforms non-determinsitic fortune telling ie "this could happen, but...." which is what Benebell is about, the "this could happen but.."

tarotbear

To be honest after speaking with her and getting some personal insight I think she is more in line with the rest of the community. What she is against is deterministic fortune telling, ie "this WILL happen". The community generally preforms non-determinsitic fortune telling ie "this could happen, but...." which is what Benebell is about, the "this could happen but.."

I am glad they gave her more pages on Amazon because the list of 'Praise' was so long...

Anyway - I disagree with one thing she said in her intro - and it's how I interpreted or mis-interpreted her comment about 'what happens when you stick your hand in fire - you'll get burned' about being 'prediction'... it isn't. That is 'cause-effect.' If someone asks you what happens if you stick your hand in fire and you say you'll get burned isn't 'predicting' they are going to get burned ... anyone who sticks their hand into fire will probably get burned. The statement struck me as odd.

Just my two cents trying to justify paying $30 for this 800-page book ...

Alpha-Omega

I am glad they gave her more pages on Amazon because the list of 'Praise' was so long...

Anyway - I disagree with one thing she said in her intro - and it's how I interpreted or mis-interpreted her comment about 'what happens when you stick your hand in fire - you'll get burned' about being 'prediction'... it isn't. That is 'cause-effect.' If someone asks you what happens if you stick your hand in fire and you say you'll get burned isn't 'predicting' they are going to get burned ... anyone who sticks their hand into fire will probably get burned. The statement struck me as odd.

Just my two cents trying to justify paying $30 for this 800-page book ...

Same here, little odd. However it is well worth the $30. it is like getting 3-4 standard books

Citrin

That makes sense Alpha-Omega. :)

I hope more people will post their opinions on the book in this thread when they've started reading it. I still feel kind of drawn to it, I really like the way she expresses herself.

Bonnie

Agree or Disagree

I liked Ms Wen's approach to the Tarot. That doesn't mean that I have to agree with all of it - I don't think we have to agree with all of anything. IMHO, the book is well worth the price. :thumbsup:

Citrin

I found a great review on YouTube by a woman called Christiana Gaudet (is it okay I write that out?) that totally won me over, I'm getting this book asap haha... It really seems like a book that can teach most of us something. I'm very curious about the parts on the opening of the key and spreads...

Le Fanu

I'm wondering about this book. To say it's a "masterpiece" arouses my interest. But I have to be realistic. Will I read a new tarot book that's 800 pages long when I've still not finished the new Anthony Louis book? I need to be very realistic on this!

The title and cover jar horribly for me. The image is that Remaissance image of a group playing cards (not, not divination) - a sort of flakey fresco (think erudition, classical learning, courtliness, the riches of the scholarly Renaissance) with this sort of woo woo subheading of personal growth and "holistics" which turns me right off. There's a real clash there. The image screams "Medici", the title screams Doreen Virtue. You can really see the heavy hand of the publisher in some of these publications.