Decisions and Clarifiers

Barleywine

I don't use clarifiers in any general sense, preferring to read only the cards drawn. But I came across an interesting idea in Paul Fenton-Smith's Tarot Masterclass that seems to have some merit. He suggests when drawing the 2 of Swords that we draw two additional cards and place one at each side of the Two, possibly showing what's at stake in the decision and whether one choice seems more appealing or achievable than the other. Thinking about it, I can see doing this for all the Twos, and for any other card that implies a duality or polarity culminating in a decision. It can indicate either equality or inequality on opposite sides of the equation.

With the 2 of Wands it could show whether "standing pat" or "moving forward" is a better strategy.

With the 2 of Cups, it could show whether one party to a relationship of any kind is more dominant or acquiescent than the other.

With the 2 of Pentacles it could show just how unbalanced the "juggling act" really is.

When at the "crossroads" shown by the Lovers, it can show which path might be the better choice. (This plays right into my idea that there can often be a "high road" and a "low road" leading out of the intersection.)

With Justice, it could suggest which participant in any kind of judgment is in a better position, or which way the verdict is likely to go; perhaps the "sword" side will show severity, the "scales" side leniency.

With the Wheel of Fortune, it can show whether an "up" trend or a "down" trend will be delivered by the Wheel.

One consideration is that you would have to decide in each case which side represents what. For example, you could use any obvious "rising or falling" orientation of the figures on the Wheel to show the "good" side or the "bad" side of a possible outcome. In cards where any form of separation or demarcation ("facing" of figures or "moving" landscape features such as roads and rivers) is evident, that could be a determining factor as well.

Any thoughts?

FreeMoon

Hi Barleywine I do like using small clarifying spreads. The ones I have been using is from Around the Tarot in 78 days (Katz. & Goodman) and they suggest in response to a question where there appears to be 'no hope' to shuffle a full deck then carefully sort through the deck and the card on either side of the Star are the vision and hope required to move forward. The same method can be used with the sun when clarity is required the Devil when manifestation is required and the tower when a great change is needed etc.

As a newbie I find these spreads excellent for advice and guidance versus complexity of larger spreads

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

violetdaisy

It may not be the best to *always* do what you suggested with the 2's (or other duality cards) but in some circumstances I think it's a great idea! If one of those cards falls as the last card/outcome card of a spread because, especially with the 2's, it can be an ambiguous outcome. And, people want to know specifics about things usually.

Cases where I don't think it's needed is where it's fairly apparent with the other cards of a spread what the card is referring to, also - sometimes a "Non-decision" is what's needed - maybe the decision lies with another person or you have very little influence over it.

Barleywine

Hi Barleywine I do like using small clarifying spreads. The ones I have been using is from Around the Tarot in 78 days (Katz. & Goodman) and they suggest in response to a question where there appears to be 'no hope' to shuffle a full deck then carefully sort through the deck and the card on either side of the Star are the vision and hope required to move forward. The same method can be used with the sun when clarity is required the Devil when manifestation is required and the tower when a great change is needed etc.

As a newbie I find these spreads excellent for advice and guidance versus complexity of larger spreads

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

This is the sort of creative, structured approach I like since it "opens up" a spread in unexpected ways and offers a more sensible outlook than simply drawing another card or two. I'm assuming that the focus card would be one that appeared in the spread in a significant location like the Outcome position. Thanks for sharing.

Barleywine

It may not be the best to *always* do what you suggested with the 2's (or other duality cards) but in some circumstances I think it's a great idea! If one of those cards falls as the last card/outcome card of a spread because, especially with the 2's, it can be an ambiguous outcome. And, people want to know specifics about things usually.

Cases where I don't think it's needed is where it's fairly apparent with the other cards of a spread what the card is referring to, also - sometimes a "Non-decision" is what's needed - maybe the decision lies with another person or you have very little influence over it.

This is a good point since I don't always read the Twos as a choice required in the matter, although I do usually see them as a polarized situation due to number theory. On the other hand, I almost always treat the Lovers as a choice leading in one of two directions rather than as a "soulmate connection" because I like the Marseille version of the card more than most modern ones, so I could see using it there.

Isobel Gaudie

I can't add much to this thread. But I kept it in mind when I pulled the 2 of pentacles in a feelings position. I read this card as massive moodswings of contradicting feelings in that case. I pulled 2 more cards and it made perfect sense. It brought so much more clarity than a single card.
Did it on mundane shufflings with swords and wands. Again spot on.

FreeMoons idea sounds great too.

Brilliant thread! Thank you very much! It will go into my study journal, before I have to search it again. :)

Sibylline

Hi, Barleywine. I've done that with the twos in in the past when I need an expanded interpretation or extra information. In essence, my extra cards are not clarifiers, per se.

I've also done it with majors that have a binaristic quality (The Lovers and Temperance immediately come to mind) or cards that signify a major shift (The Wheel or The Tower). The extra two cards have symbolized things like: opposing energies, two people, two paths, the past & future, etc.

What I sometimes do is place a card above the main card in the position of "the energy coming into the situation, person, etc." Then I place a card below it as "how the energy is manifesting." Basically, a mini cross with the main card in the middle.

Adding in the "energy" cards has helped me understand which way the wind is blowing, so to speak. Especially useful if I have to make a decision and I need to see what kind of energy is available. If I get the Tower, for example, the card above usually takes on the meaning of "what strikes the tower" and the card below means "what is going to fall." Stuff like that.

mary_leo

Such an interesting thread! I've been wondering about clarifiers lately.
I'm gonna try it on my next spread.
Thank you very much

Enviado de meu MotoG3-TE usando Tapatalk