Yes or No meanings when pulling a single card?

Akitablue

So I've been researching and it seems that everyone has a different response about what each card means. Going through forums I'm reading that it depends on the exact question you ask not just the card alone so I'm a little bit confused. I asked the deck "Does so and so miss me" I pulled the devil. I know the devil stands for obsession so I thought maybe it means yes, but then I also think the devil is a bit of a negative card so then I wonder if it is telling me something else. What is everyones insight on pulling the devil when asking if someone misses you. I just am having a hard time with this card.

Barleywine

Hmm . . . either that person misses you sexually in a big way, or just misses the opportunity to manipulate or dominate you.

Thirteen

Barleywine's answer is a good example of why yes/no questions aren't really suited for Tarot. The answer to your question might be BOTH yes and no. Which is to say, maybe he misses you sexually (Yes), but doesn't miss you romantically (no). Tarot is much better for how? where? when? and why? questions. Like, in this case "In what way does he miss me?" The cards could offer you an answer indicating that he doesn't miss you much or at all (a recent example on these forums of a similar question was the 10/Swords which many agreed seem to say the ex wasn't thinking at all of their former love). But clearly he does miss you...just not, perhaps, in the way you mean or hope or would like. You really don't want someone to miss manipulating you, or holding you chained, or being in power over you, or, as you suggest, being obsessed with you. It's not a "no" but it's not a good "yes" either.

A "yes" answer isn't always positive. And a "no" answer isn't always negative. ;)

Barleywine

I would add that single-card pulls are even less reliable. Even three cards will give you a sense of "story" that will provide some of the "how" and "why" even if you don't change the nature of the question. It becomes more situational than strictly unconditional. I think it also depends on what YOU expect. If you only want a sexual relationship with no romantic commitment, then you would be well-aligned with a "yes." If you want something more, then "no" would be the more honest answer.

Akitablue

Hmm . . . either that person misses you sexually in a big way, or just misses the opportunity to manipulate or dominate you.

That makes a lot of sense...thank you...actually seems right on point

Akitablue

Barleywine's answer is a good example of why yes/no questions aren't really suited for Tarot. The answer to your question might be BOTH yes and no. Which is to say, maybe he misses you sexually (Yes), but doesn't miss you romantically (no). Tarot is much better for how? where? when? and why? questions. Like, in this case "In what way does he miss me?" The cards could offer you an answer indicating that he doesn't miss you much or at all (a recent example on these forums of a similar question was the 10/Swords which many agreed seem to say the ex wasn't thinking at all of their former love). But clearly he does miss you...just not, perhaps, in the way you mean or hope or would like. You really don't want someone to miss manipulating you, or holding you chained, or being in power over you, or, as you suggest, being obsessed with you. It's not a "no" but it's not a good "yes" either.

A "yes" answer isn't always positive. And a "no" answer isn't always negative. ;)

I'll def try again with questions asking how, where, when, and why. I'm sure I'll get much better insight that way and I'm glad he misses me, I def wish it was in the romantic sense, Ill try and stay positive in the fact he misses me even tho its a sucky way to miss me. :( lol

JudgeExia

I have been doing a couple of yes/no readings myself.

Perhaps you can try other yes/no spreads rather than just drawing a single card since it becomes ambiguous on interpreting just one.

This is a spread I use for such cases:
Aces method: Draw a total of 39 cards, the number of Aces in it will indicate a yes/no/maybe. I also go one step further and look at the overall cards I've drawn and see what attracts me (because a lot of times I draw the same few cards) and what Aces appear.