Bohemian Gothic ~ Bone Chapel

Ambrosia

Yes, the deck is amazing.
It draws on some awesome archetecture with a really dark feeling. I think the use of pictures from the bone chapel was a really enlightened addition to this deck.

MoonGypsy

Ambrosia said:
Its flippin macabre, but really interesting.
Apparently there are between 40 000 and 70 000 skeletons used in the decorations. All victims of the plague.

The chandelier is composed of at least one of every bone in the human body.

i am truly speechless! i am thrilled to the "bone"...pardon the pun:D Incredibly magnificent!

Ambrosia

HeavensVault said:
Yes, Wow! I agree. Thank you for sharing. I looked around at the other sites in Prague. It's beautiful.

You are most welcome. :)

those panoramic photos are cool the way they spin 360 degrees.

next best thing to being there.

baba-prague

Soothsayer said:
The atmosphere in a place like that must be chilling. I recently spent some time in the supposedly haunted crypt of Oxford Castle in England and it was quite creepy.

You know, funnily enough I find it quite beautiful. But I know others are quite repulsed by it. I suppose it may vary a lot depending on your attitude to something as macabre as this.

By the way, I think Ambrosia has mentioned most of the cards that show scenes from the Bone Chapel, except the Ace of Pentacles (which shows the weather vane from the top of the church - hard to recognise if you don't know the place).

Ambrosia

baba-prague said:
Ace of Pentacles (which shows the weather vane from the top of the church - hard to recognise if you don't know the place).

Cool. I wondered how that card related to earth. Its like a beacon, reminding us we are all returned to the earth, we are all just flesh and bone.
Very cool concept.

Thanks for sharing Karen.

Thirteen

Ambrosia said:
Cool. I wondered how that card related to earth. Its like a beacon, reminding us we are all returned to the earth, we are all just flesh and bone.
Ah. That makes a great deal of sense now. I did wonder how something relating to air currents could be the Ace/Pents, but as the top of that chapel, yes. It doesn't matter which way the wind blows, the part that spins stays right where it is. Right atop that chapel of bones. This is the part that is unmovable and unalterable.

Ambrosia

Thirteen said:
This is the part that is unmovable and unalterable.

Woooo! Its exhilirating. Freeing.

MsRubyRain

Wow! My first reaction was like omg...how morbid and then....looking at the detail and thinking how amazing the human form is....it took on a beauty of it's own.

I can't imagine being there in person to see it. Wow!

Alisa13

Way cool

When I first looked at the BG deck I was impressed by their beauty and it gave me the feeling that the images were real and now to find out some are . . .
mind boggling.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the book that goes with the cards - does it say anything about the how/where the images were created?
The Bone Chapel is like eternity - to see the bones of people created long ago, imagine if all the skulls could talk.
This just reinforces my belief that Karen and Alex are truly gifted artists, weaving the past, present and future together . . .