Sorcerers Tarots, tell me about it?

Aerin

Le Fanu said:
One niggling pedantic grammatical thing here r.e punctuation. It is officially called "The Sorcerers Tarot" but shouldn't it be The Sorcerer's Tarot (i.e the tarot of a sorcerer?) OR is it The Sorcerers' Tarot (i.e the tarot of sorcerers = plural, more than one)???

Actually, come to think of it, is The Mermaid's Tarot or the Mermaids' Tarot??

With no apostrophe it looks like it is an adjective don't you think? Lots of people seem to miss them out now, I suppose that's better than putting them in wrongly (she said grudgingly).

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vivian.c/Punctuation/ApostMissing.htm

I would personally go for apostrophe after the s in both cases, so lots of mermaids and sorcerers not just one chief one in each deck :D But is there an Top-Sorecerer/ Top-Mermaid bossing everyone???? In which case before the s.

Myrrha

RiccardoLS said:
I like to see decks as paths in the wood. Or maybe they are the journey themselves, or simply travelling companions.
However the way I like to see them, there is always some travel metaphorically involved.

Many "standard" LS decks works mostly when you let them free. They maybe resonates more with questions than with answers. If you are in a moment of a path where you need to control the deck you work with... decks like the Sorcerors will never work.

What I remember about the deck is that it started with almost a childish bent.
5 and 6 of Cups had been among the first cards done. Then I could see the deck moving, evolving, growing to much more adult, harsher moods, and slowly regain balance in a mature way.

I love that the deck has images of childhood magic as well as adult emotion. Maybe I could use this deck the same way I do my Secret Forest deck, which is just letting the pictures speak.

Thanks oak_woman for the information about Waterhouse. I will bring a Waterhouse book home from the library and soak myself in an atmosphere of romantic mystical sorceressness while waiting for my deck to arrive.

Le Fanu

Aerin said:
I would personally go for apostrophe after the s in both cases, so lots of mermaids and sorcerers not just one chief one in each deck :D But is there an Top-Sorecerer/ Top-Mermaid bossing everyone???? In which case before the s.
I'd go for the apostrophe after the S, i.e this is the tarot of ALL Mermaids and Sorcerers in the world.

If it is before the S, it seems to say; if you're a mermaid or a sorcerer, then this deck is for YOU ;)

I've tried to make it *sound* like an adjective with no apostrophe either before or after, but it just doesn't seem to sound right.

nisaba

Aerin said:
With no apostrophe it looks like it is an adjective don't you think?
Nope, I think it just sounds uneducated.

Aerin said:
Lots of people seem to miss them out now, I suppose that's better than putting them in wrongly (she said grudgingly).
I blame the school system, myself.

A couple of years ago, my daughter's school sent home a newsletter (I notice I haven't received one since. I couldn't believe my eyes: it was *full* of mistakes. So's my writing - but that's all typos, not idiocy. In a four-page newsletter there were 26 errors of spelling and punctuation, and in the PRINCIPAL's message, there were four! I was horrified. These are the people we trust to teach our kids to write? I didn't own a red pen, but I bought one specially for the occasion, marked the newsletter, gave it a (low) score out of twenty-five, put suggested corrections in the margins, and went to the effort of formally addressing it to the principal and posting it back at my expense.

That was years ago, and it's funny, but I don't seem to have received a newsletter since.

For Tarot decks in particular, I think if it is designed by a self-styled sorcerer or mermaid the apostrophe should be in the singular position: if it is designed for the use of such people, it should be in the plural position. My Showground Rd house used to have a sign over the door saying "The Witch's Hovel" because a witch lived there; the BBS I ran at the time was called "The Witches' Hovel" because more than one witch who used it.

metal_romantic

nisaba said:
A couple of years ago, my daughter's school sent home a newsletter (I notice I haven't received one since. I couldn't believe my eyes: it was *full* of mistakes. So's my writing - but that's all typos, not idiocy. In a four-page newsletter there were 26 errors of spelling and punctuation, and in the PRINCIPAL's message, there were four! I was horrified. These are the people we trust to teach our kids to write? I didn't own a red pen, but I bought one specially for the occasion, marked the newsletter, gave it a (low) score out of twenty-five, put suggested corrections in the margins, and went to the effort of formally addressing it to the principal and posting it back at my expense.

That was years ago, and it's funny, but I don't seem to have received a newsletter since.

That's hilarious :D

I am yet to REALLY work with this deck. When I have the time I want to use the "21 Ways" book with it. For now, I am delighted just to look at it! The artwork is stunning and also very clever, with many insights to share :)