Tarot for Ancestor Work

conurelover

I am. :)

Actually, I came across another interesting spread, so I gave it a try this Halloween night. It's getting late here, so I'll be posting the details sometime tomorrow. It was so synchronous to see your post here, as I was thinking about reviving this thread tomorrow!

Great! I also saw that people use a Lenormand spread for this as well yesterday when I was posting about this.

RiverRunsDeep

Ok, so....for Halloween, I wanted to use the tarot to contact my youngest sister, who passed over five years ago. I used to dream about her fairly often, but it has been a long time since her last "visit". I felt that the spread I used earlier in this thread would be too general, asking for any ancestor to communicate. I was looking for something more precise that would answer specific questions for the ancestor I chose.

I ended up using the Spirit Speak Spread posted by Akatala. The spread begins by drawing the following four cards: The Moon (to represent the spirit world), "S" to signify the spirit (I chose the Queen of Cups for my sister), "Q" to signify the querent (I chose the Queen of Swords for myself), and The Sun (to represent the physical/living world).

The cards are laid in a straight line with the Moon/Spirit cards to the left and the Querent/Sun cards to the right, with a large space between the two sets of cards like this:

Moon**Spirit*******************************Querent**Sun

The middle space is for the "message" cards. There are no rules for how to draw them; you simply continue to lay down cards until you feel the message is complete. I had three questions I wanted to ask, so I only drew three cards to place in the middle. Because the questions were specific, I didn't cut the deck and draw all three cards in a row. Instead, I shuffled, asked the question, drew a card, then repeated that process twice more.

I really love how the spread is set up. It is a wonderful visual for how the message is the connector between spirits/ancestors on the "other" side and ourselves in the physical world.

Also, I suppose if you prefer to have all 78 cards available for the "message", you could draw the Moon, S, Q, and Sun from a different deck. I decided to draw them from the same deck though (my Ghost Tarot).

My three message cards:

1. Which card will show me that it is definitely my sister with whom I am communicating?

Two of Wands: Well, I was hoping for a card that would strike like a lightning bolt and I'd say "Yep, that's her!" This card depicts a ghostly male figure looking down upon and reaching towards a globe of the world. When I look at it, I envision my sister looking down upon my world from wherever she is, and that the distance is great and difficult to bridge (hence, the reason I have fewer dreams about her).

2. If you had to choose only one thing to tell me, what would it be?

Four of wands: The ghostly woman in this card is happy, dancing, celebrating. My sister was one of the most spirited, live-in-the-moment people I've ever known. I think she is not only reassuring me that she is okay, but is also reminding me to seize the moment, to never take the blessings or the people in my life for granted, and to remember to celebrate all the things for which I am grateful each and every day.

3. Is it okay to continue communicating with you using the tarot?

Three of Coins: This card shows a living woman kneeling on the ground and watering a plant. There is a ghostly figure behind the woman, chiseling a marble column. The figures have their backs to each other. I believe I will continue to receive the occasional dream or synchronous message from my sister, but ongoing communication is either not advised or will be difficult. When I look at this card, I feel that we, as spirits, are given our own "work" to do, and not all of us are meant to stay near.

I hope all of this has made some sense. It was much easier to do than it was to explain! My goal was to make contact with one specific ancestor, using a spread that would result in answers easily correlated to the ancestor. I'm not entirely happy with my results. I'd like to work more with this spread in the future and experiment with the message cards and the type of questions I want to ask. Not with my sister, though. :love:

Comments and feedback are welcome, so I know I'm not the lone nutter who uses the tarot this way. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1328.jpg
    IMG_1328.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_1329.jpg
    IMG_1329.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_1330.jpg
    IMG_1330.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_1331.jpg
    IMG_1331.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 212

conurelover

Ok, so....for Halloween, I wanted to use the tarot to contact my youngest sister, who passed over five years ago. I used to dream about her fairly often, but it has been a long time since her last "visit". I felt that the spread I used earlier in this thread would be too general, asking for any ancestor to communicate. I was looking for something more precise that would answer specific questions for the ancestor I chose.

I ended up using the Spirit Speak Spread posted by Akatala. The spread begins by drawing the following four cards: The Moon (to represent the spirit world), "S" to signify the spirit (I chose the Queen of Cups for my sister), "Q" to signify the querent (I chose the Queen of Swords for myself), and The Sun (to represent the physical/living world).

The cards are laid in a straight line with the Moon/Spirit cards to the left and the Querent/Sun cards to the right, with a large space between the two sets of cards like this:

Moon**Spirit*******************************Querent**Sun

The middle space is for the "message" cards. There are no rules for how to draw them; you simply continue to lay down cards until you feel the message is complete. I had three questions I wanted to ask, so I only drew three cards to place in the middle. Because the questions were specific, I didn't cut the deck and draw all three cards in a row. Instead, I shuffled, asked the question, drew a card, then repeated that process twice more.

I really love how the spread is set up. It is a wonderful visual for how the message is the connector between spirits/ancestors on the "other" side and ourselves in the physical world.

Also, I suppose if you prefer to have all 78 cards available for the "message", you could draw the Moon, S, Q, and Sun from a different deck. I decided to draw them from the same deck though (my Ghost Tarot).

My three message cards:

1. Which card will show me that it is definitely my sister with whom I am communicating?

Two of Wands: Well, I was hoping for a card that would strike like a lightning bolt and I'd say "Yep, that's her!" This card depicts a ghostly male figure looking down upon and reaching towards a globe of the world. When I look at it, I envision my sister looking down upon my world from wherever she is, and that the distance is great and difficult to bridge (hence, the reason I have fewer dreams about her).

2. If you had to choose only one thing to tell me, what would it be?

Four of wands: The ghostly woman in this card is happy, dancing, celebrating. My sister was one of the most spirited, live-in-the-moment people I've ever known. I think she is not only reassuring me that she is okay, but is also reminding me to seize the moment, to never take the blessings or the people in my life for granted, and to remember to celebrate all the things for which I am grateful each and every day.

3. Is it okay to continue communicating with you using the tarot?

Three of Coins: This card shows a living woman kneeling on the ground and watering a plant. There is a ghostly figure behind the woman, chiseling a marble column. The figures have their backs to each other. I believe I will continue to receive the occasional dream or synchronous message from my sister, but ongoing communication is either not advised or will be difficult. When I look at this card, I feel that we, as spirits, are given our own "work" to do, and not all of us are meant to stay near.

I hope all of this has made some sense. It was much easier to do than it was to explain! My goal was to make contact with one specific ancestor, using a spread that would result in answers easily correlated to the ancestor. I'm not entirely happy with my results. I'd like to work more with this spread in the future and experiment with the message cards and the type of questions I want to ask. Not with my sister, though. :love:

Comments and feedback are welcome, so I know I'm not the lone nutter who uses the tarot this way. :)
Thanks for sharing this. I love your interpretation. Btw, what deck is that in your photos?

celticnoodle

On this eve, who is still using the spreads discussed here?

I haven't. In fact, I've even forgotten about it. :eek: I have a HORRIBLE memory--(fibrofog). But, Sweetcherise13 mentioned it to me in a PM and I found it! :thumbsup: and thanks, SweetCherise.

After re-reading through this, I am up to doing this again. It was fun. reading through it again, I remember doing this reading and being thrilled to figure out it was my dad. Lets see if its him again or if it is someone new on the other side of the family!

I may not get to it for awhile though--as the next few days are going to be busy ones. But I'll try to remember and do it soon. thanks again, conurelover for refreshing this thread! I also want to try it with the Lennies too.

Samweiss

I got a sudden inspiration to get back to this. Only this time I decided to try Barleywine's spread so I could perhaps get better results than my earlier rather muddled attempt. First, I used the court card method to see who was answering me and I got King of Swords from my mother's side of the family. I have no idea who this could be, one name did pop up, but I see King of Swords as responsible, no-nonsense type of man. He could've been head of the household at his time. And here's the rest of the spread:

Card 1 - Way: Page of Pentacles - He may be inexperienced, but he is careful and attentive, his studies now come in handy and he is grounded. (Page of Pentacles being Earth of Earth)

Card 2 - Intent: 9 of Cups - This relative has my well-being in mind. Now I was reminded how in playing cards suit of hearts is related to home and family matters. That is also the case here, I think this relative wants me to do well in my everyday life.

Card 3 - Encouraging Words: 9 of Swords - The picture here (I'm using the RWS) makes me think that when you're awake at night lying in your bed, problems always seem much more worse and how it all can make you feel very lonely. Here I get the message is "don't worry, you are not alone".

Card 4 - Warning Message: Page of Wands - I think this could be warning against acting overly rash? My life is a bit instable at the moment, and this might be advice to not add to it with irresponsibility.

Card 5 - Other's Advice: The Empress - This is funny, all I could think of is my mother. My mother used to take great care of my when I was growing up, but the tables have turned somewhat when I reached adult age. Fortunately things have improved for her, but I think the message here could be to continue to look after her.

Card 6 - Honor: 3 of Cups - Now that holiday season is approaching, this card's message is quite clear, spend time with the family. That is a good way to honor your ancestors to stick together with your family.

I'd be happy to hear your thoughts. I think this was a really straightforward reading and none of the cards felt really strange or out of place, kind of "by the book" meanings, too.

Of course, thanks to Barleywine for the spread! I liked especially the card at the beginning to see if the coast is clear of any negativity. Good stuff.

RiverRunsDeep

I got a sudden inspiration to get back to this. Only this time I decided to try Barleywine's spread so I could perhaps get better results than my earlier rather muddled attempt. First, I used the court card method to see who was answering me and I got King of Swords from my mother's side of the family. I have no idea who this could be, one name did pop up, but I see King of Swords as responsible, no-nonsense type of man. He could've been head of the household at his time. And here's the rest of the spread:

Card 1 - Way: Page of Pentacles - He may be inexperienced, but he is careful and attentive, his studies now come in handy and he is grounded. (Page of Pentacles being Earth of Earth)

Card 2 - Intent: 9 of Cups - This relative has my well-being in mind. Now I was reminded how in playing cards suit of hearts is related to home and family matters. That is also the case here, I think this relative wants me to do well in my everyday life.

Card 3 - Encouraging Words: 9 of Swords - The picture here (I'm using the RWS) makes me think that when you're awake at night lying in your bed, problems always seem much more worse and how it all can make you feel very lonely. Here I get the message is "don't worry, you are not alone".

Card 4 - Warning Message: Page of Wands - I think this could be warning against acting overly rash? My life is a bit instable at the moment, and this might be advice to not add to it with irresponsibility.

Card 5 - Other's Advice: The Empress - This is funny, all I could think of is my mother. My mother used to take great care of my when I was growing up, but the tables have turned somewhat when I reached adult age. Fortunately things have improved for her, but I think the message here could be to continue to look after her.

Card 6 - Honor: 3 of Cups - Now that holiday season is approaching, this card's message is quite clear, spend time with the family. That is a good way to honor your ancestors to stick together with your family.

I'd be happy to hear your thoughts. I think this was a really straightforward reading and none of the cards felt really strange or out of place, kind of "by the book" meanings, too.

Of course, thanks to Barleywine for the spread! I liked especially the card at the beginning to see if the coast is clear of any negativity. Good stuff.

Samweiss, I like this spread, too. I like your interpretations and agree that the meanings are very straightforward. Thank you for sharing!

RiverRunsDeep

Thanks. I will probably use the Mary-El. I want to try your spread and the way it is this week I probably can't get to it until Thursday at the earliest. :(

Hey, conurelover, did you ever get a chance to try the spread I used with your Mary El?

conurelover

Hey, conurelover, did you ever get a chance to try the spread I used with your Mary El?

Yes I did and it gave me a lot to think about. :)

I need to stop asking the same ancestor the same thing over and over though.