DruidCraft Tarot - Cernunnos

MysticalMoose

Indeed it would!!! Sadly we hear that reaction too often....

coyoteblack

love sunshine said:
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum so forgive me if I'm not following protocol or doing this correctly. I have been working with my Druidcraft Tarot and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the Cernunnos card. I've read the description in the book about the dangers of material obsession but are there any other interpretations?

Thanks.

This card makes much more since when you hold it next to the lovers card.
Then you can see how the couple could not even stop they went at it and at it until they were oblivious to there surroundings anything could have happened to them they were so oblivious a pretty large god stood next to them and they were still passed out.

elvenstar

coyoteblack said:
...they were oblivious to there surroundings anything could have happened to them they were so oblivious a pretty large god stood next to them and they were still passed out.
ROTFL coyoteblack, this was exactly my first impression of this card, well said :D

blackroseivy

I must say I agree muchly with what has been said here - love that last one! ;)

My own take? Animal urges can be dangerous, must be something you are made aware of, something that can carry you away (like the God could do) if you are not careful - BUT on the other hand, as I have seen written here too, TOO much repression is VERY bad for the system - & if you ask me, the primary evil of our kind in this day & age in our culture. So, balance to be sought - like the male & female figures - perhaps?

coyoteblack

it seems this card is about Passion , That spiritual energy ! but when you go to far with it addiction, obsession, manipulation, and materialistism ca happen.

Finally an easy card for me to " get"

willowfox

Unfortunately, I see this guy only losely resembling the RWS devil. He was called Lord of the animals or Lord of the hunt and was always associated with animals, nothing to do with obsessions and bondage or other evil strangeness, his closest animal counterpart was the stag, and this guy had to do with fertility and sexual love for procreation, he was also a god of material wealth.

The blame for him being another version of the devil lies solely with the christian church, they turned him into something nasty and evil, when in actual fact the Celts saw him as an okay god.

Why the creators of this deck use this god is beyond me, surely they could have used a symbol that was much closer to the christian devil,not a benevolent fertility god. And the creators are supposed to be Druids?

coyoteblack

wilowfox I agree with you sort of

In the book they were trying to say that what the devil represents in tradional decks is not a bad thing.

They are trying to say this is a good card only if we misuse it or go " off the deep end" will it turn out bad.

willowfox

coyoteblack said:
willowfox I agree with you sort of

In the book they were trying to say that what the devil represents in traditional decks is not a bad thing.

They are trying to say this is a good card only if we misuse it or go " off the deep end" will it turn out bad.

I see the devil in traditional decks as a real nasty guy when the mood strikes him or you find yourself involved with him/her. As for going off the deep end, I think that the christians made sure that their devil certainly achieved that goal and more.

I cannot see Cernnunos ever going off the deep end, and I find it hard to believe this benevolent god of yore can be evil. Like I said before, it was the christians who made this jolly green giant into the enemy of humanity. Therefore, I can never see him as replacing the devil at all. So, I totally disagree with the creators of this deck that this guy is a representation of evil.

coyoteblack

willowfox said:
. Therefore, I can never see him as replacing the devil at all. So, I totally disagree with the creators of this deck that this guy is a representation of evil.

That's the point I am trying to make willowfox

in this deck there is no incarnation of evil the thought/concept is not in this deck.

That is why i have this deck i do not believe in a devil or hell I needed a deck that went along with my beliefs.

The position of devil has changed to something of the strength card just more so and to an extreme.

I really like this card a lot and am very glad they took the CONCEPT of evil away.

Dancing Bear

I have never feared the Devil Card, And I feel Cernunnos is pretty much the same in meaning as the Devil card, But with the druidcraft as SC says, we need to embrace our animal desires as the Druids did, but not get obsessed nor consumed by them..
Within some relationships it can be based on just pure lust , obsession and possession..I think the lovers is just one example, we can expand on these Obssessions in every aspect of life.. The Presence Of Cernunnos warns us of how human and vunerable we can be, and how it is so easy to fall into the trap..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cernunnos

http://altreligion.about.com/library/glossary/symbols/bldefscernunnos.htm