"Violating" the original meaning. Is it o.k.?

Deana

Violating the meanings? How is that possible? How can the cards mean anything at all unless they mean something to me personally? And how can anyone tell me what they mean to me personally except...me?

Example: a lot of people go on and on about how the Five of Cups means that the person is looking at the bad but ignoring the good. Just cheer up, right? I was at a funeral one time, and a woman had lost three of her kids in a car accident. One was a twin. The other twin lived. Someone actually said to her, at the funeral, "Well, at least you still have two [of your five kids]. At least one of the twins is still here." I'm sorry, but that doesn't really ease the grief of losing the other three kids. And to me the Five of Cups means the person needs to grieve and if someone tries to rush the grieving process or tells them to look on the "bright side" that person needs kicked in the shins.

zannamarie

I have the Archeon tarot and find them very intuitive. Sometimes I pick up the 'book' meaning but other times I pick up something totally unrelated to it. That's what I love about this deck; it really lets my intuition go to work. :)

Sheri

Absolutely. A book is someone else's interpretation of the cards. Sometimes the books are great to read to get insight into where the creator was coming from or for reference - but not necessarily to read with. I used to use a bunch of books to determine what the cards meant...and it was exhausting. Finally I took the plunge and joined an intuitive reading exchange and never looked back.

I now have the freedom of buying any deck I wish and being able to read with it, even if it doesn't have a LWB or if it is in another language. It is very exciting and very freeing, and I am seeing more in the cards because I am spending more time looking at the card than reading about the card.

valeria

Nevada

You've only violated a misconception, a false, arbitrary limitation.

You're using your intuition. That's supposed to happen, it's not a violation at all, and how can anyone violate an original meaning if no one even knows what the original meanings of the Tarot were? Deck creators provide meanings as a way to get people started. But the reason the cards have images instead of set meanings printed on them, is that we use the images to help us tune in to the message -- whatever it needs to be.

It's a sign you've reached a new level. Congratulations!

Nevada

SunChariot

ana luisa said:
I was wondering if any of you have experienced getting a new deck, falling in love with it but reading the cards in a completely different way? I mean, looking at a "classic" 2 of cups and seeing a trip, or some other meaning that has no direct relationship with it? Is it o.k.? How far can intuition go? Is it trangressing and reading poorly?I´d love to hear your experienced comments on this.

By the way, the deck that is causing such mental "havoc" is the Archeon...

I do this all the time, that's how I read. I've always read that way. I don't use the books to look up the meanings. For the few cards that I even do know the basic meanings for (the Majors), these basis meanings make up a very very small part of the reading. Like maybe one sentence in 1 1/2 pp typed per card.

That means as well for me that the exact same card in the exact same deck rarely, if ever has the same meaning. And that means that each deck is very very different in meaning to me, as the artwork in each is so different.

No it is not reading poorly. It works wonderfully for me. Me readings are always quite accurate. That's why I have been reading this way for the whole 2 1/2 years I have been reading, because it has always worked well for me.

Maybe it's not "mental havoc". Maybe the deck just has something to teach you about reading intuitively. :grin:

Some people read mainly intuitively (I do), some read mainly using the book meanings... Then there are all kinds of ways to combine the two. No one can tell you what you should do, but basically whatever works for you is alright to do. WHat works well for one person, may not for another.

If you're not sure how far to take your intuition: the just experiment/try. Try new ways of reading, new ways of using your intuition to do so, try to see how far you can take it and still be accurate...then keep the readings and look back after and see what worked and what didn't. Anything that worked well for you is somethign you can consider keeping as part of you reading skills if you feel comfortable with it.

Babs

Alta

I try and stay relatively close to the card. But staying close to the card in fact gives you a huge field to play on. The range of applications of the cards basic ideas to various situations and positional meanings can be amazing.

ana luisa

Back on the thread. Sorry, it has been a crazy week. First of all thank you for your replies and encouragement !!! You guys are simply the best! I know it may have sounded like a stupid question, something like, should I trust my intuition or not? Duh... However, I have a "past" that still influences my readings. I started reading when I was 10 but I used the Lenormand oracle. So to me, it was all about the images and the ideas that they invoked or that simply came to me out of nowhere. I once saw chronic constipation while looking at the wedding ring card (for some weird reason, it reminded be of the "rings" in the intestines). Anyway, when I decided to shift to Tarot, things looked so neat and organized, and it was in a way, comforting to have something to base my readings upon. Nevertheless, whenever I come up with strong imagery (Archeon, Baphomet,Tarot of the Secret Forest, Ananda), all the learning I´ve done so far about suits and numbers goes away. The call of intuition is much much stronger. I guess I should get used to it and embrace it. I´m relieved to know that that´s not poor reading, even though I´ve left the oracle world and entered the Tarot one. Thank you again! It has been great to learn your experiences and reasssuring to see how much of a "family" we all are here at AT!

Bad_Calvin

I think you should go by your thoughts all the way. The Archeon tarot has so many things to discover in it with the artwork. I have never seen the two of cups as a trip, but that is great if you saw that because that means you are seeing the cards from a different angle and having fun with them.. and really bonding with them.

good stuff! :)

ana luisa said:
I was wondering if any of you have experienced getting a new deck, falling in love with it but reading the cards in a completely different way? I mean, looking at a "classic" 2 of cups and seeing a trip, or some other meaning that has no direct relationship with it? Is it o.k.? How far can intuition go? Is it trangressing and reading poorly?I´d love to hear your experienced comments on this.

By the way, the deck that is causing such mental "havoc" is the Archeon...

SunChariot

ana luisa said:
The call of intuition is much much stronger. I guess I should get used to it and embrace it.

I say when something calls to you, usually that voice is either your soul or your higher self, follow it. That means it's part of your path.

Babs