"what is good training, and its requirements"

HOLMES

what kind of good training are we supposed to be seeking, should be striving for, ?.
split from the idea of "good training " from the steps a beginner can take.

are we counselors using the tarot as a tool, or tarot readers trying to incorpate therapy techiques to help a person with an issue.

it is for this reason that this concept really needs to be worked on for how many tarot beginners, intermediates feel the need to go for "good training" and the idea that we start preaching "good training " starts leading to the dreaded tarot standards and tarot degree, and tarot certification.

in other words if we start spreading the idea that all tarot readers should have good training in therapy techiques then some govenment person might take the notion and say "all tarot readers who are professional need to have this and that in order to pratice".

this is what happened with reiki, someone spread the idea that a reiki master should be trained in massage techiques in order to pratice and that took fire in many place as requirement for reiki professionals.

i imagine that years down the line if this study group leads to a state of standards for therapeutic tarot , and thus what good training is needed .
then the idea of standards will begin to be spread is the only thing i am getting at.

this isnt' about the steps a beginner can take,, but the idea of what a tarot readers needs or should have in order to even attempt to pratice what we are studying here.

Teheuti

HOLMES said:
if we start spreading the idea that all tarot readers should have good training in therapy techiques
Whoever said that? This discussion board is not about what all tarot readers should do. It's not even about *shoulds* or requirements. I'd say it's about possibilities.

i imagine that years down the line if this study group leads to a state of standards for therapeutic tarot , and thus what good training is needed .
then the idea of standards will begin to be spread is the only thing i am getting at.
I think you are being overly alarmist.

If someone says to me "What should I do to become a better tarot reader," then I'll give them suggestions (after first finding out what they mean by tarot reader). Hopefully, other people will give other suggestions. The person will probably try out what is most available and interesting to him or her.

this isnt' about the steps a beginner can take,, but the idea of what a tarot readers needs or should have in order to even attempt to pratice what we are studying here.
For one thing, we don't even know yet what we are studying here. And, there's no one set of things that a reader needs to study and definitely not what they *should* study - which will be different for each person and circumstance. Try taking the word *should* out of the discussion altogether. Good training can come in many guises (even bad training can be good based on what you actually learn from the experience) and is a life-time process.

But this is just my opinion.

HOLMES

indeed

that is why I only have good training in quotations marks as no one said that.

soon as I saw the mention of good training that is all the things that came up. and this is just in one tarotist. :). other tarot readers ears might of perked up at that phrase or not as I am just one person and that is just my opnion.

but i do agree with you with bad training being good due to the experience.

Alison Cross

Holmes said: are we counselors using the tarot as a tool, or tarot readers trying to incorpate therapy techiques to help a person with an issue.

Well I think that you can be

a) a Tarotist who provides a therapeutic reading
b) a counselor or a therapist who opts to use Tarot in your clinical work

If you wanted to, you could find a counselling training course, perhaps one backed by a national assocation (eg in the UK it is BACP) which would give you a formal counselling foundation from which to work.

However, as Mary says, you don't *need* to do that. Just as you don't need to have any formal training to be a Tarotist in the first place.

I reckon that a) and b) are just two sides of the same fence ;-)

AX

HOLMES

ah

but the two are related, but are not two sides of the same fence.

they could be like two fences made of the same wood, facing the same direction but one is painted green and one is painted purple .

as therapist who uses the tarot in my work, i would probaly be using the techique described in a differnt thread steps a beginner can take.
and not reading the tarot.

however as a tarot reader who for example one who feels like a doctor and must be disattached to the outcome of the reading.
may not be able listen to what the sitter is trying to say and just hear and see what we want to see as try to perform the "role " as i call it instead of actually performing the "job".

see the differnt and nunces ,, enough to say they are two extreme sides of multifaceted coin.

Alison Cross

HOLMES said:
as therapist who uses the tarot in my work, i would probaly be using the techique described in a differnt thread steps a beginner can take.
and not reading the tarot.

Not every person working as a therapist has a qualification. I suppose it depends on what country you live in, but in the UK you CAN call yourself a therapist without any formal qualification.

This is something that causes concern and that many people want to tighten up and regulate more heavily. Like everything else in life, that has its advantages and disadvantages!

Personally, if I wanted to set myself up as a therapist who offered Tarot as a therapeutic tool (as opposed to being a Tarotist who offered therapeutic readings), I'd want to have proper training (in psychology etc - as mentioned on the other thread).

AX

Teheuti

HOLMES said:
however as a tarot reader who for example one who feels like a doctor and must be disattached to the outcome of the reading.
may not be able listen to what the sitter is trying to say and just hear and see what we want to see as try to perform the "role " as i call it instead of actually performing the "job".
I'm not sure what you are saying about the tarot reader, but it sounds as if the reader just "reads the cards," and that having the querent interact directly with the cards is not allowed. Is there any rule somewhere that says that? Since it's an unlegislated profession why any rules? Where do they come from?

Many tarot readers have also become Life Coaches - precisely because it is possible to get excellent training in interactive tools to help a person in their choices and direction, and because it gives them legitimate professional standing in a field where using a tool such as tarot is not entirely frowned upon.

IMHO, regarding the title of this thread, there are no "requirements," only suggestions and possibilities.

Mary

HOLMES

no

what I am saying is don't take the reading out of the tarot reading, but by all means keep up the interaction as the client should feel like they have the right to speak and give their own interpations from what we are saying, and if they want to add anything.

with therapy , we shouldn't disregard the reading part.

even therapists after a while of listening , tell the clients what they think, or give some work for the person to work on.

it isn't just an one way street either way.