Bohemian Gothic--Four of Cups

Thirteen

There is this thread discussing at length the strange look of our 4/Cups vampire bride (she's in a bridal gown with a bouquet), but I noticed that in that thread is there is little discussion about the card meaning. So here is a thread just for the 4/Cups.

4's are about stability, but when it comes to emotional cups, that translates to restlessness. 4/Cups is often about discontent or boredom, like someone in a good if routine relationship trying to find excitement on the internet--which might not satisfy that restlessness either.

I think we see all this in this card. As mentioned in the other thread, this is vampiric maiden seems to be trapped in-between in every way. Not maiden or wife, but forever a bride, not living nor dead (undead), tightly confined in a coffin. The doors beyond her act, I think, as the "fourth cup" we usually see floating in the RW 4/Cups. She may not be looking toward that exit, but going out might be something she tries if she grows too bored with her current "stable" situation. There is a feeling to 4/Cups and this card of something that wants to move--but hadn't done so yet. Perhaps she's holding off going out and feeding and competing becoming a vampire?

Other thoughts?

moderndayruth

It looks to me as if she had been stood up at the altar, so she buried her dreams and hopes in that coffin... Hmm, i know someone to whom it happened and though the lady later on continued with her life, has a great career, married another man and so on, back than what she felt she described as a feeling of being paralyzed by the silent inner horror and shame, followed by deep sadness ... That's pretty much what i see in this image.

Master_Margarita

I sometimes see the 4 of Cups as representing ennui, stasis, stagnation. If our young miss in the coffin is a full-fledged vampire, then she is stuck forever (if I understand my vampire lore correctly) at her current age. I don't see anything to indicate she hasn't "turned" all the way.

I also see the 4 of Cups as sometimes representing a sort of Proustian homesickness for the past. Maybe she pines for the days past when she was a real, live girl.

:heart: M_M~

Thirteen

Master_Margarita said:
I don't see anything to indicate she hasn't "turned" all the way.
Oh, I think she has "turned" all the way. But that doesn't mean that she's accepted it and gone out to feast on blood yet. 4/Cups is an interesting card because even though the picture often has someone seated and not moving, the feeling is that the seated figure would move if they had the right motivation.

It's interesting that the other thread with 4/Cups compares it to 8/Cups. In 8/Cups the person leaves something behind to go after something that might or might not be really there, but, illusion or not, they need to check it out. In 4/Cups, it's like the "lure" half is missing. That 4th cup is there as a half-dream, not powerful enough to get the person to move and follow, but enough to make them wonder if they're really satisfied with what they have. And, likewise, what they have is enough to keep them from really paying full attention to that 4th cup and being lured away by it. As a "cup" (emotion/water) they want to flow and move, but as a 4 they want to stay.

That's what I feel here. She may be a full vampire, but the "I'm dead" feeling is keeping her in that coffin. She may be aware of the blood-lust, but it's not strong enough yet to lure her out to hunt and recognize all she is. Note as well that both brides and vampires share a "don't cross that threshold" idic. The bride has to be carried over, and the vampire has to be invited over. What is needed to get her to leave the coffin and cross that threshold isn't there yet (invitation or groom?). And so she remains in the coffin--not quite satisfied with it but not enticed enough to leave it.

Master_Margarita

Thirteen said:
Oh, I think she has "turned" all the way. But that doesn't mean that she's accepted it and gone out to feast on blood yet. 4/Cups is an interesting card because even though the picture often has someone seated and not moving, the feeling is that the seated figure would move if they had the right motivation.

It's interesting that the other thread with 4/Cups compares it to 8/Cups. In 8/Cups the person leaves something behind to go after something that might or might not be really there, but, illusion or not, they need to check it out. In 4/Cups, it's like the "lure" half is missing. That 4th cup is there as a half-dream, not powerful enough to get the person to move and follow, but enough to make them wonder if they're really satisfied with what they have. And, likewise, what they have is enough to keep them from really paying full attention to that 4th cup and being lured away by it. As a "cup" (emotion/water) they want to flow and move, but as a 4 they want to stay.

That's what I feel here. She may be a full vampire, but the "I'm dead" feeling is keeping her in that coffin. She may be aware of the blood-lust, but it's not strong enough yet to lure her out to hunt and recognize all she is. Note as well that both brides and vampires share a "don't cross that threshold" idic. The bride has to be carried over, and the vampire has to be invited over. What is needed to get her to leave the coffin and cross that threshold isn't there yet (invitation or groom?). And so she remains in the coffin--not quite satisfied with it but not enticed enough to leave it.

OK, now I get it. Wonderful explanation! Thank you.

:heart: M_M~

DrDave

Lovely insights
Lots of times 4 Cups means
Missing someone or something that is not there anymore
Like an old friend in person or the advice
The person is detached ,thinking of the missed one
DD

Alisa13

Thirteen - once again your perception is enlightening - cups as vampires - blood suckers of the cup of life - very cool!
I got so much out of reading everyone's post on this fascinating card. MRP certainly captured the "despondency" and inertia of the 4 of cups. I like to think of it as the 3 red sides of the coffin are alike to the 3 cups in the traditional RWS deck and the fourth cup - the one that is offered is revealed as the coffin with no lid and the beckoning light in the corridor. She could walk out if she chose, but doesn't seem to realize that there is a way out.
The arm bothers me - I can't quite decide who to believe on that and if I peer closely, I do believe I see a fang!
Alisa13 :)