first reading for someone else... any spread suggestions?

*Cecilia*

Hi everyone,

So I've only just started out learning about tarot, haven't even read any book about it (apart from the small 130-paged book that came with my deck), I kind of "know" the meanings of my major arcana cards, but the minors are killing me....

For those of you interested in the whole story, simply read on. For those of you who only want to know what the actual question is... skip the next block =)

When I helped out a friend of mine correcting his master thesis on spelling (in Dutch), he asked me if there was any book or something like that I had on my wish list, so he could buy it to say thank you. I had been watching some tarot-youtubers and had become quite interested, so I asked him: buy me a tarot deck that you think suits me.

Now... he bought me the Visconti-Sforza deck (edition: The golden tarot by Mary Packard). And although I love the history behind it and I love the pictures of the major arcana.... bonding with the minor arcana is fairly difficult because it lacks specific pictures for every card. In other words: not that much a beginners deck.

My instinct tells me to buy a deck that's more suitable for beginners, get myself a good book about tarot and only return to the Visconti-Sforza when I feel ready. But... I promised this friend of mine he would be the first person I would try my tarot deck on. I don't want to offend him by telling him I need a different deck to work with...

So, despite the fact that I don't really feel ready for it, I do want to try out a small reading with my tarot deck for my friend and I've asked him what question he would like to ask the cards.

His question: will I ever make a good profession out of writing?
Or, also possible: if I decide to make writing my profession, what do I need to know about that?

Specific cards might indicate
- his fears / negative influence coming from himself
- his strengths / positive influence coming from himself
- what will the outcome be?
- what negative outside influences will there be?
- what positive outside influences will there be?
- something he needs to focus on right now
- .... ?

Which of the two major questions posted above would be the best to ask the cards?

Is there anyone who could design or who knows a simple and suitable spread for this topic?

I would be truly grateful =)

C'

nisaba

A better question would have been "what can I do to make the most of my writing", as asking "will I' begs a yes/no answer, and Tarot is much better at talking volumes than giving one-word answers.

If he changed his question I'd just pull three cards.

The first: where he and his writing are now. The second, what steps he needs to do soon to move forwards with it. And the third, what steps he needs to do later to move forward with it.

If he insists on just a yes/no to his original question, I'd pull out a pendulum and look to see if it gave me a yes-swing or a no-swing.

Oh, if you're having problems with the Minors and this is a reading for someone else, you can't very well set yourself up to stumble - work with a stripped-down deck consisting of just the Majors, the Courts and the Aces. They can usually tell you everything you need to know.

Apollonia

My favorite spread for this type of question is a horseshoe shape with the following positions:
1) What you want
2) What you need
3) What you already have
4) What you need to let go of
5) Who will help you (external)
6) What will help you (internal)
7) Advice
8) Outcome if advice is followed

annabel398

Or, if you want something smaller:

---------4---------
----3 sideways---
1-----------------2

The bridge spread

1 is querent, 2 is the other (person/thing) .. In this case, writing/a writing career
3 is the bridge between 1 and 2
4 is how to cross the bridge

From Lo Scarabeo's Tarot of the Master LWB

Chimera Dust

I'd do something simple, maybe ask something about advice on how the direction he's taking in his reading. I'd do a reading with 5 cards at most.

Now here's some more general advice: don't be afraid of telling your friend that you haven't become a pro at it yet and that you may get things wrong in your reading. You're only just starting out, so no matter which deck you're using, it's normal that you're not an expert on the Tarot yet. This is a more general explanation that won't make it feel like it's the deck he's given you that's the problem and I think it's understandable.

Don't be afraid of getting a new deck, either. If you need to pick up something that's more beginner-friendly, there are decently-priced decks you can buy online and which may make it easier for you. If your friend asks you about this, you can always explain that you felt like you weren't quite ready for the deck he gave you and that you're trying to learn the basics with another deck first. There's nothing wrong with that and I think he'll understand if you explain it in those terms. :)

I hope your reading goes well!

MissNine

Celtic Cross.
I think it's a good one to learn with because you have all the extra cards to guide you on what the future/outcome cards are telling you.

*Cecilia*

thank you all so much =)

I think I'm going to ask him how exactly he wants to state his question and then decide which of your suggestions suits his question most. In any case a maximum of 5 cards is all I dare to handle, hihi.

Working with a stripped-down deck sounds like a very good idea, thanks nisaba.

@annabel398 (or anyone, really): I'm not a native speaker of English and the internet won't give me any translations for the word "querent" (in your tarot spread number 1)... are there any synonyms for the word?

And yes, Chimera, I think he would understand my beginner status, and thanks for the advice around that. =) but I'll wait a while to tell him about any new deck so he knows that I at least started with his and gave it a proper chance before moving on to something else.

annabel398

The querent is the person asking the question (root word QUERY, to ask). Sorry! =)

*Cecilia*

The querent is the person asking the question (root word QUERY, to ask). Sorry! =)

I kind of figured it out from the context but wanted to be certain =)
thanks!