Why You're Here (4 Cards)

dangerdork

I recently had another "first" as a reader. In the last few years I've passed the landmarks of reading for strangers, reading in public for LOTS of strangers, reading for money... but now I've had my first client who specifically was seeking a tarot reading and found me through a mutual friend: a stranger who sought me out (as opposed to having a reading on a lark 'cuz I was already present and set up).

I wanted a quick "Icebreaker" spread rather than saying, "OK, What's the problem? Why did you need to have a reading?"

This is the 4-card spread I came up with.

-- 2 --
1 --- 4
-- 3 --

1. What's been happening in your life
2. How you feel about it
3. What you didn't know
4. Why You're Here

This spread worked really well in helping me get a handle on what my client was like and what was on her mind, a good intro to a long, multiple spread session.

I'd love to hear if any of you happen to use it, how it works for you.

Kiama

I like this idea very much, and am considering trying it out on the next person who comes to me for a reading. One question though: Could you clarify card 3: What you didn't know, for me please? I'm not entirely sure what it entails.

Kiama

dangerdork

Kiama said:
I like this idea very much, and am considering trying it out on the next person who comes to me for a reading. One question though: Could you clarify card 3: What you didn't know, for me please? I'm not entirely sure what it entails.

Kiama

Hi Kiama:

What I had in mind was that the entire spread was about the events or circumstances in the client's life that had caused her to seek a reading...

I guess the first two were self explanatory, but I was thinking of the third card as something like the hidden motivations of other people involved in those events, things that had already happened which affected her situation, but which she did not know about... I suppose it could be "you didn't know that this was going to happen" relating to a future event, but I was thinking of it more as past events or attitudes of others which were hidden from her.

Astraea

Great Idea!

dangerdork, I really like this spread -- it's crisp, clear and to-the-point, and it seems to me that it would lead beautifully into other spreads. Thank you for sharing it. Congratulations on being specifically sought for a reading, too -- that is truly an honor.

Ruby Red Slippers

Thankl You - Thank You

Dangerdork:
Thank you for sharing this spread.
I have used it a couple of times and found it to be most helpful. It was truly an Icebreaker, as you suggest.
I have credited you with the spread to my friends and your name became an ice braker also....LOL :laugh:
Again...thanks
Ruby

dangerdork

oh no, thank YOU

Ruby:

I am SO flattered to hear that someone tried my spread, glad you liked it well enough to use it. & I'm also glad that somebody got a chuckle out of my name ;)

azuremariposa

nicely done!!

i will definitely try this spread next time i have a new client...seems very useful, quick and to the point...i like it alot!! :D

NeXoRiouS

err, what does position 4 means? Could you elaborate on this point. thanks.

dangerdork

NeXoRiouS said:
err, what does position 4 means? Could you elaborate on this point. thanks.

NeXoRiouS:

I wanted to have several possible meanings, here are some possible interpretations for Position 4:

a) Why did you choose to consult Tarot for your problem?

b) What is the decision you must make?

c) What is the REAL problem or situation (sometimes the client has a question about work and the cards are about romance, etc)

d) Is there something special about this day or this place or this reader that brought the client?

I hope this is helpful to you.

Sobeknofret

Great!

Fantastic spread! I used it on myself about an hour ago and I'm still reeling. Great stuff came out of it for me, and it's so easy to do. This one is a keeper. Thanks for posting this, and I loooove your name! :D

Sorry, I meant this one to go under dangerdork and his four card spread! :| Darn buttons moving around again lol!

--S