Tarot de Trieste; the forgotten deck

SolSionnach

Great catch, niclas! I'd forgotten about the articles in the index on the different types of early tarots.

Le Fanu, you'll have to make sure to look at what Huson says about the TdParis, when you get your book.

I just had a look at my LS Ancient Tarots of Bologna with the Lombardy changes in mind; the devil has the furry pants, and the moon is full-face. I'm wondering if Huson means *2* of *Coins* or *2* of Cups rather than *Ace* of either - as neither ace has type. On the ATB the type on the 2/cups is not gothic, and the 2/coins has no type on the ribbon.

I see that Huson definitely lists the LS deck (seen here: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/ancient-bologna/) as a Lombardy deck.

Niclas

SolSionnach said:
(...) I'm wondering if Huson means *2* of *Coins* or *2* of Cups rather than *Ace* of either - as neither ace has type. On the ATB the type on the 2/cups is not gothic, and the 2/coins has no type on the ribbon.
(..)

I am so glad that sometimes native speakers of English think similar to me :p

I thought it was font=typeface as well, first, and wondered, but then I thought again...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Font_(disambiguation)

SolSionnach

Niclas said:
I am so glad that sometimes native speakers of English think similar to me :p

I thought it was font=typeface as well, first, and wondered, but then I thought again...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Font_(disambiguation)
So you're thinking a Gothic *baptismal* font, as in a cathedral?

Hmmm

Looking at the ace/cups in the ATBologna, it looks just like the ace/cups in the Dodal, Noblet, Vieville, and Payen - perhaps a bit exaggerated, but certainly no big difference in the general shape. Why would that be mentioned as something important to tell the difference with the TdM, when they basically look the same?

I still think he wasn't referring to the ace/cups - perhaps you can persuade me that that is the case? ;)

Le Fanu

I'll have to get my Huson and read properly with my Ancient Tarot of Bologna and my Tarot de Trieste side by side to try and get at what he is saying...

(I'm paying attention to this, I just don't have the Huson text! Is it a huge paragraph Niclaus? Could you type it out here so I can read exactly what he says?)

By the way, the Ancient Tarot de Bologna looks much better trimmed...

SolSionnach

Le Fanu said:
By the way, the Ancient Tarot de Bologna looks much better trimmed...
No *way*. I love the backs, and cannot see ruining them.

Of course, my copy is vintage 1995 when they were making thinner decks, so it doesn't have those annoying blue dots along the sides... :)

Le Fanu

SolSionnach said:
No *way*. I love the backs, and cannot see ruining them.

Of course, my copy is vintage 1995 when they were making thinner decks, so it doesn't have those annoying blue dots along the sides... :)
Ahh that makes a difference. I couldn't concentrate with those 5 blue dots down each side. But trimmed they immediately look like seriously antique cards, the images come right up to the edge and they look longer and thinner. It doesn't affect the backs at all. Just takes off the white border...

Niclas

SolSionnach said:
(...)
I still think he wasn't referring to the ace/cups - perhaps you can persuade me that that is the case? ;)
Well, I am convinced he was not referring to font=typeface, as you noted, this makes no sense.
Font ="some kind of greater, man-made structure with architectural features" does make sense - but, as I implied above, when I went through his checklist, I am not sure that I would have called that a distinguishing feature, looking at the TdT. Perhaps its just not that typical for the Lombardy pattern concerning this particular feature.
Le Fanu said:
(...)
(I'm paying attention to this, I just don't have the Huson text! Is it a huge paragraph Niclaus? Could you type it out here so I can read exactly what he says?)
(...)
Nope. :p

But look here, page 281:

http://books.google.com/books?id=dVne-RK9UVYC

:D

Le Fanu

I can't get to page 281. Only page 201 then page 297, and nothing in between. next week I should have my book.

Silly guess; but I wonder if gothic font means gothic fountain; I always thought that Ace of Cups looked like a fountain rather than a chalice...

Greg Stanton

Well, to be perfectly proper, "font" NEVER = "typeface".

The word "typeface", like "Goudy Oldstyle", designates a type, and even a family of types. "Font" is more specific, refering to a size and style of a particular typeface, as in "12pt Goudy Oldstyle italic".

Of course, this distinction was more true when type was made of lead. Nowadays, people throw the words "typeface" and "font" around like they are interchangeable. They're not, at least not to an old typesetter like myself...

Well, not THAT old.

Niclas

Le Fanu said:
I can't get to page 281. Only page 201 then page 297, and nothing in between. next week I should have my book.
(...)

Strange. Sorry 'bout that, I get the page, otherwise I wouldn't have sent you there. There are other pages I don't see, though.

I'd never thought that different people get different pages left out...