Deck of 1000 Spreads—New Spreadcrafting Tool

rylla

Sounds like a great and fresh idea and production. I am looking forward to it (and pre-ordering , of course).

Alta

I missed this thread earlier. What a great idea, I'll be getting this pack.

shadowdancer

Looks like it could be a useful tool to use when I am not sure how to break up a spread for a given reading.

Another item added to my pre-order list for this year. :)

schmedrake

I'm glad people here are discovering this!

The product's facebook page is here and from there, you'll find links to my daily blog where I use the deck for daily draws. I don't come on Aeclectic as much as I'm there. So if anyone has any questions, feel free to "like" my page and ask away.

https://www.facebook.com/KTierneySadler

There are so many uses for the deck. Yesterday I gave a reading to someone who had never had a reading before and she felt it made her feel more comfortable. For the querent to see what topic you're addressing with each card you read, it helps make it all make sense. And they can even go through the cards with you and choose the questions they want answered.

Hop over to my public Facebook page and see it in action!

rwcarter

Just got an order update from Amazon that this book is estimated to arrive 3 weeks earlier than originally thought. So I could likely have it by the end of the month!

schmedrake

Hooray! I received all my author copies today, which means all the kits are assembled and shrink wrapped. So I imagine Amazon should have them quite soon, if they don't have them already.

You can start shopping for bags now. They're 6" high, so you'll need a larger bag. :D

magpie9

I've been waiting for this deck for a few months now..it's brilliant! So glad to see it will be here soon!

Alta

The ability to tailor to the question really makes this useful.

schmedrake

You'll see when you get it, Alta. You can quickly thumb through the cards and pull out the spread positions you want, then form a spread. For someone familiar with tarot and spreads it will literally take about the same time as it takes you to shuffle your tarot cards. It makes it very easy to create a new spread for every question.

rwcarter

Impressions as I'm unwrapping and opening the box for the first time.
  1. It's a much bigger box than I was expecting.
  2. Typical Llewellyn misuse of space as the outer box could've been half the thickness it is.
  3. The well in which the cards reside didn't keep its shape. It kinda looks cool, but none of the parts of it are secured in any reasonable way, so it's not going to keep its shape for any duration of time. (I'll be using double-sided tape to secure/stabilize the well.)
  4. The cards are really long, but narrow (6" x 3" or 152mm x 75mm)
  5. They're color-coded:
    • Blue for Influence (22 cards)
    • Green for Topic (16 cards)
    • Maroon for Outcome (5 cards)
    • Purple for Timing (10 cards)
    • Orange for Character (6 cards)
  6. There are two blank cards for Influence and one blank card of the other types, presumably to create your own positions. (Strangely enough my blue blanks were in the middle of the green cards and the other blanks are almost at the back of the deck, just before a lone Topic card titled "Friendship".)
  7. The companion book is 137 pages.
  8. As more of an advanced spreadcrafter, it's doubtful I'll ever use the cards to lay out an existing spread (like the Celtic Cross shown in the book), but "retooling" and "revisioning" classic spreads are both very intriguing ideas and I actually like the revisioned Celtic Cross spread (with a romance focus) shown in the book. (I think I'm much more likely to revision than to retool, cause I currently retool all the time.)
  9. I think randomly picking cards and using them to create a spread will produce rather interesting results! :)

Other than the typical Llewellyn packaging, my only niggle about the set is its name. I think it would have been better named "The Deck of Thousands of Spreads". If you randomly pull 2 cards from the deck of 59, there are 3422 combinations, far more than 1000 as suggested by the title.

Otherwise, great job and congrats schmedrake!