What one book helped you the most?

BlueLotus

Today I received my 'used' but clean copy of Tarot, Plain and Simple.
It's THE book I have been waiting for. Clear, concise, and very user friendly.

It is a gem of a book .

mnemosyne7

Tarot for Yourself, Tarot Reflections, Tarot Constellations - Mary Greer (Reflections and Constellations are a little harder to find, but definitely worth the hunt)

Tarot of the Spirit - Pamela Eakins (the deck is amazing, the book stands alone)

Spiritual Study Of The Tarot: Including The Kabalah, Numerology & Astrology - Louise Fimlaid

A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking

Flatland - Edwin A. Abbott

Because when you've read what everyone else thinks about Tarot, it's time to start putting things into perspective for yourself - so read about everything else!!

Mnemosyne

Sulis

The books I like best are:

'Tarot your everyday guide' - Janina Renee - tarot from an advice point of view - excellent book.
'Tarot reversals' - Mary K Greer - Good upright and reversed meanings
'Tarot Tells the tale' - James Rycleff - 3 card spreads with fictional readings - a very good read.
'Pictures from the heart - a tarot dictionary' - Sandra A Thomson - Dictionary of symbols and imagery.

Love

Sulis xx

tarobones

Rachel etc.

For my money Rachel Pollack's "78 Degrees of Wisdom", followed by her book on the Shining Tribe Tarot are the best. I also benefited greatly from Joan Bunnings "Learn Tarot" website as a beginner. There are so very many others that are wonderful. I am now learning a lot from The Fey Tarot and Book. Peace and blessings to all..........Michael

circlewalker

So far I think the most influential book I've used is "Tarot Shadow Work" by Christine Jette.

There's a review here http://www.tarotpassages.com/tarotshadwk.htm if you're interested.

In places the associations with what she is saying and tarot are a little tenuous, however they make you think and that's what it's all about :)

in light

cw

souljourney

I've read a couple reviews on Tarot Shadow Work and it looks very appealing. Has anyone used this book? Are the exercises helpful, boring, what?
I will say that the Tarot For Your Self has a LOT of exercises that are to me boring. It's very hard for me to meditate...so I don't like books that have a lot of that.
Thanks, SJ

psychic sue

For me, Rachel Pollock's 78 degrees of wisdom is the Tarot bible (if you are using the Rider-Waite deck). She goes into great detail on the origins of the cards, the actual illustration and the meanings within and of course various interpretations. I wouldn't say it was a book for beginners, but once you know your way around a deck, this book is an excellent companion.

Lewen

78 Degrees of Wisdom

I just got this book and like what I've read so far. Taking some cues from all that many recommended on this site, the other books that I seem to enjoy are
Tarot, plain and simple

and Mary Greer's "Tarot reversals"

I can't seem to get into Joan Bunning's book whatsoever nor the Tarot for yourself by Mary Greer, but I haven't exactly sat down and concentrated much lately as it were in regards to studying. I shall try again later. I love this forum and am always on the lookout for a great book to add to my collection!

April

mnemosyne7 said:
Tarot of the Spirit - Pamela Eakins (the deck is amazing, the book stands alone)

Second! THE best companion book EVER. One of the things that sets it apart, I think, is that it not only tells you what the cards mean but HOW to use them. But beware, it's gigantic. The Minors actually get a decent amount of attention compared to some other books that shall remain nameless.

I also recommend Art and Arcana by Ronald Decker for the same reasons.

Peace,
April

Eulypian

I'll third that - Pamela Eakins speaks directly to you in her book Tarot of the Spirit. Hers is my favorite Tarot book, but it needs to be combined with others. Rachel Pollack, Mary Greer, and Jana Riley are good, but you need to also see the viewpoints of Juliette Sharman-Burke, Gail Fairchild and Aleister Crowley. And anything written by Barbara Walker is a blessing.

I also agree that the best book you will find is your journal. Set up a notebook with two pages for each card and fill them up. Put in keywords from all the authors and meditate on them. Use a thesaurus and expand them. You'll have a better book than any out there inside of a year.