Tarot on Torchwood - Wow

obeygravity

Torchwood Tarot

I don't know if anyone watched the show, it was a spin-off series to Doctor Who that focused on the secret agency of Torchwood that the British Government had made centuries ago to deal with Alien Matters. I'm actually watching it right now (because I need a fix until the new doctor who series comes out!) and I was kind of delighted to see that there's an episode where they bring in the use of Tarot! The main character, Captain Jack Harckness, goes to see a young girl who's a fortune teller, and the card they used to symbolize him was the Knight of Swords. I thought that was really interesting, and incredibly appropriate for the character as well. He's all about blazing into situations, swords in hand, trying to deal with things rather objectively. Not really sure how many other people are familiar with the series, but it's really nice to see a show use it, and it also seeming like they put a bit of thought into the use of the cards being presented instead of veering towards the stereotypical cards (Death, the Devil, etc. Well, they did use Death in this episode, but it's definitely a bit of a different use for it here).

obeygravity

The first season of Torchwood, I'll admit, was pretty rough. It wasn't nearly as good as I was expecting it to be (I only started watching it because they were airing the 3rd series on BBC, and that's what got me hooked. Bloody amazing ending, sad though). But the 2nd series is way better, it feels a lot less forced and like there's a drive to the story they're actually working towards. It's still no match for doctor who though.

card_shark

I loved the "Children of Earth" miniseries. The ending (actually, the last two parts) was absolutely devastating. But a price had to be paid.

The good news: series 4 is a go!