Finding news ways to make money from Tarot

gregory

I must say - I do think it's a shame to be looking for ways to make money out of everything.

That said - I know a lot of people who read for money and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Drop business cards around the place and see what happens. I've not known anyone who found themselves unacceptable. My hairdresser reads....and as I say. I am hardly in Brighton, or London, for that matter. There are at least two shops in Carlisle which just say "tarot readings" on the door. I know of places in Manchester, Edinburgh, Newcastle. Get out there and pound the streets. Ask a few coffee shops. Read your own cards in a PUB. I know a number of people who had sat there shuffling their cards and been asked for readings. I was at a coffee shop myself where that happened when I was showing a mate some cards. (No. I don't read for money.)

prudence

The thought of people charging money for tarot readings is as sad to me as people charging for Reiki, acupuncture, massage etc. (Not sad at all)

Darkmage

Aha, missed the sarcasm there. ;)

For people who really *do* think it's sad to charge, I ask why? Tarot readers are selling a skill. It's no different than any other trade or service industry. Anyone can study to be an plumber, for example, and individuals will have varying degrees of talent at it. Your toilet overflows at 4 am the morning the inlaws are supposed to arrive for Thanksgiving? Expect to shell out big time. No one criticizes them for charging for their time and skill.

Frankly, if I'm going to listen to someone whine about their ex-spouse for 15 minutes for the third time this month, I'd damn well get something out of it for myself. They're paying for my time and my skill with the cards. I've spent literally thousands of hours studying the cards and indeed, the occult in general. My pay scale reflects that.

chaosbloom

Isn't writing a book and then putting up a site so people can reach you the best advertisement for this sort of thing?

Lucas Prince of Cats

I usausally go out to do tarot readings in the park in SF city.

Ruby Jewel

The Bohemian

I have a small private reading booth in a local emporium....very cozy and dim and mysterious...people love the ambiance. I have a lamp for lighting and a couple of crystals, and a big teddy bear-shaped jar with a "thank you" taped to it that sits on the table. I seed the jar with a few bucks and proceed to invite people for a free four-card introductory reading. Ninety percent of the people leave a tip...some leave big tips....up to $20 and $30. I also have developed several reading of my own that I charge anywhere from $10 to $65 (28 cards Karmic Path spread). I also do the great Celtic spread for $25. The point I'm making is that you can let the querent decide to tip or not. Most will tip around $5 for a 4-card 10-minute reading. I live in a small town on a 2-lane highway that runs through....in the Bible belt. Don't get a lot of business, but I make more with the tip jar than I did when I charged for every reading. I feel good about this because the person can decide if they want to pay or not. Most people are generous and appreciative. I also get a lot more reading experience, and I'm now expanding into a full-time profession. I plan to incorporate astrology and meditation into my business....teaching how to caste an astrology chart, Zen meditation, and am considering a painting class where students do paintings of the major arcana. I am a painter by profession and also finishing up a novel. I recently bought a small vintage trailer that I'm going to paint as a "gypsy vardo" and plan to go on the road with my four cats at some point.....just part of my retirement plan. I'm 72. Don't fuss. Have fun. Life is short.

nisaba

At the moment we:

Read from home = risky letting strangers into our homes

Take part in psychic fairs = involves a lot of travelling and sitting on a broomstick is much to cold in winter months

Become online readers = isolated, boring and person who runs the service is making a fortune from other people's misfortune

We also read in cafes, pubs and new age shops, paying the owners a small percentage as "rent" for a table in their business premises. This is the most common way the readers I know personally read, and it doesn't seem to be a problem for us. :)

zhadee

I am a nurse, I take care of demented old persons. I make a living out of other people's misery. At least I am poorly paid and have to work on week-ends, holidays and in shifts. My work also is poorly respected, every body knows 10times better than me how I should do my job right. There are all sorts of christians, counsellors and advisors willing to watch and critise me.

When my back, my bones and my joints won't allow me to work anymore, I might like to become a professional reader. At least I imagine this is my dream job. Nicer work coats. Greater range of communication.

Reading Tarot cards for money is far better than reading Tarot cards in exchange for love, friendship or any other kind of personal relationship. The reader takes time to study and develop skills, not only the fine art of cartomancy, but also professional communication. Reading takes time, and the 'aftercare' takes time, too.

Money settles the reading as something limited in time and relationship. We don't have to become friends, this would be abusive on both sides. I certainly do not wish to read my cards in order to make friends, as empathic and understanding I may be, as relaxing a reading can be. We all know how really close a reading can make us feel.
Also we all know that reading cards can be emotionally addictive, so asking for money sets up necessary boundaries.

My 2 cents.

Saskia

how about all the other healing/personal development trades?

The thought of people charging money for tarot readings is as sad to me as people charging for Reiki, acupuncture, massage etc. (Not sad at all)

Fully agreed. If charging for tarot is sad, why is charging for any (other) type of healing not sad? How about dentists, doctors, nurses, caretakers - why can they charge the normal wage for their skills and time? Why is it not_sad to charge for any (other) personal development service? How about teaching yoga, being a personal trainer, dietician, life coach, sports coach, beautician, massage giver...? Or any occupation or profession for that matter, why is it ok to charge in everywhere else for the skills, experience and effort you're putting in?

Sorry if this came off as a bit of a rant but at least I'd hope to see a bit more justification for singling out tarot as the 'if you charge you're a cruel human being' occupation/trade.

avalonian

I do readings in restaurants/pubs etc but only for fun. I had thought about doing readings in in my friends restaurants but then word would quickly get around and I would never have any peace :(

I'm a bit confused here. If you want to make money from reading Tarot then surely you want word to get around? You would just need to define the times when you would be available for readings.

:)