Borderless Rider-Waite coming from US Games...

Nepenthes

I figured I'd ask the question about borderless decks, gilding, etc. directly to US games, mostly with Thoth in mind. I received an answer today from them:

"We are coming out shortly with a Borderless Rider-Waite and have asked the question about Crowley. One never knows."

Hopefully such changes occur along with others such as card stock. In cases of having copyright, etc. over somethings there is definitely a business model to follow that can take advantage of those seeking "upgraded" decks.

Alan

EmpyreanKnight

A borderless Rider-Waite means that the pesky (for some) copyright won't appear in the front part of the cards, right? I mean they would hardly put it in the image itself?

I wonder which RWS they would use - the Centennial (I hope!), Original, the plaid-backed Rider Deck, etc.

Gaston D.

As someone who has long looked at his Centennial and Universal RWS decks with a critical gaze and visions of paper shears dancing around his head, this is great news.

My money would be on US Games somehow incorporating their copyright notice into the images themselves, though. I somehow doubt they would choose to scuttle it entirely.

rwcarter

Hopefully the copyrights will be in the border on the BACK of the cards. I'll definitely snag a copy!

staticfuzz

Ooooh I hope they do it with the Centennial. A copy of it has been hovering in my cart for like two years but there are already so many decks I want a don't have, and I have two versions of the RWS already, but if they do a Centennial borderless? SO THERE. Try and ruin with with your stupid copyright logo, JUST TRY. I will still be undeterred! (Please put it on the back though. Seriously.)

Charlie Brown

Seems wrong to me.

Well, I guess it's good that there's something for everybody, but I just don't think a borderless RWS feels right. The borders are part of the cards for me and I think maybe some of the title blocks, especially in the court will look silly without the formality of the border. I appreciate how a borderless deck like the Morgan Greer can seem to just leap off of the cards, but, to me, the RWS should stay the RWS. That said, it seems like people want this, so I guess I'm glad it will be available to them.

Le Fanu

As for the RWS staying the RWS, none of the RWS decks you have been using your entire life have been the RWS as the RWS! Unless you're using a Pam A or something. Remember that every single edition has changed something from the original as we would like it.

Of all the modifications not to give us the RWS as was perhaps originally intended, borderlessness is the least of the evils. Better than plaid, better than font, better than anything. For me at any rate.

So odd, I was having my coffee yesterday afternoon thinking "now is the time for US Games to seize the borderless trend and give us another RWS which isn't as originally intended." But like I say, I'm happier with this modification than any other. I think I'd rather like it without titles, but that won't happen. Maybe that's the next edition?

reall

bow to the messenger!:))
A borderless Rider-Waite means that the pesky (for some) copyright won't appear in the front part of the cards, right? I mean they would hardly put it in the image itself?

I wonder which RWS they would use - the Centennial (I hope!), Original, the plaid-backed Rider Deck, etc.
exactly my point!:) have a *dreadful feeling they'll be on the back!x,x
god forbid USG publicly admit they have no copyright on original RW and open eldorado road for all selfpublishers interested in *modifications!XD LOLZ :))

p.s now I'm waiting for borderless crowley next!xD lolz :))

teomat

Well, I guess it's good that there's something for everybody, but I just don't think a borderless RWS feels right. The borders are part of the cards for me and I think maybe some of the title blocks, especially in the court will look silly without the formality of the border. I appreciate how a borderless deck like the Morgan Greer can seem to just leap off of the cards, but, to me, the RWS should stay the RWS. That said, it seems like people want this, so I guess I'm glad it will be available to them.

I agree too. And I don't understand the problem some people have with the copyright text. If it was on the image itself, then yes thats wrong, but as its not (on the existing versions) whats the big deal?

I guess a borderless deck would have to retain the title bars, otherwise the image proportions wouldn't be correct.

greatdane

I agree with Charlie Brown and Teomat

For those who would like a borderless RWS, I hope you get it.

I am a BIG fan of borderless...most of the time. For any of the "standard" type RWS decks, it just doesn't look right FOR me. The USG Pamela Commemorative deck is my all time favorite.

But here's to all getting what they want :).