Animal Wise Tarot by Ted Andrews

ithilgil

I was browsing for an oracle deck when I came across the Animal Wise Tarot. The imagery is very non-traditional, and it seems like it could be suited as an oracle deck, since animals often have meanings in many different societies. I was wondering if anyone else had this thought and used this deck as an oracle.

If you have the deck and used it as tarot only, how did you usually read the cards? I looked at the pictures online and I can't really connect all the animals to their specific card name. Some, like the Wolf and the Moon worked. Whenever I think of an imagery with a wolf, a full moon usually pops up in my head. But I can't really connect Toad with 7 of Wands. How did you do it?

Also, is this deck good? How accurate do you find it?

BodhiSeed

I've had this deck twice - the first edition and the second - and gave it away both times. I love the idea of using animals in the tarot, but I found the deck just didn't have enough substance/depth to adapt to tarot (not enough "meat" to work with). Had I chosen to use it only as an oracle, I think I might have kept it. :)

Emily

I bought the Animal Wise Tarot after using the Animal Speak Runes by Ted Andrews. I must admit I have more luck with the Runes.

The Animal Wise looked like the kind of animal deck I was looking for but it does seem more like an oracle. I didn't find reading it came easy and always had to keep the book close. I still like the idea of the deck and the images used are nice, I had the second edition, but for the time being it is on the backburner until I have the time to really study it.

ithilgil

I'm definitely going to take a look at the Animal Speak Runes. Thanks, Emily.

How do you usually use them? Could they be used to supplement tarot readings?

I know that oracles could. That's one of the reasons why I'm interested in getting an oracle deck. As I've heard before, tarot cards are more psychological, Lenormand decks are more physical, and oracle decks are more intuitive simply because they aren't as structured as the other two.

I am also interested in runes, but I just can't get the hang of memorizing all those runes and their meanings. Tarot and oracle cards are easier since they are imagery to help.

Emily

Hi ithilgil,

These are the Animal Speak Runes

http://dragonhawkpublishing.com/animal-speak_runes.htm

They come with a small book and are very easy to use. I never tried using them with the Animal Wise Tarot but it would be interesting. You could also use them with other decks too. :)

ithilgil

Animal Speak Runes

Emily,

I don't really get it. How do you read the runes?

As mentioned earlier (or at least, implied), I prefer cards because of their imagery. I tried learning runes before, but their meanings just keep slipping my mind. (Memorization isn't my strong point.)Even now, I don't really recall all the tarot cards' traditional meanings. I simply use the imagery and my intuition.

There are some pictures on the Animal Speak Runes, but when I looked at them, I instantly connect the words at the top with the animal. For instance, Frog. It says Fertility. I instantly remembered all the eggs frog lay. But, I can't really get much out of it besides reproduction.

How would you read it if you picked Frog in your one-rune readings?

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Please remember that this is the Tarot Decks forum and all discussion should revolve around tarot decks. Runes should be discussed over in the Divination forum.

ETA: Discussion of the Animal Speaks Runes used together with the Animal Speaks Tarot can happen in the Experimental Techniques forum.

Emily

Hi ithilgil,

I'll post more about the Animal Speak Runes in the Divination thread. :)

karen0205

Hi ithilgil,

These are the Animal Speak Runes

http://dragonhawkpublishing.com/animal-speak_runes.htm

They come with a small book and are very easy to use. I never tried using them with the Animal Wise Tarot but it would be interesting. You could also use them with other decks too. :)
I love the Animal Wise deck because of the images but they really don't connect
as a tarot deck for me. I use it more for an intuitive deck.

You know they still have all his information up on that website as if he was still alive?
He passed away in Oct 2009. He's still discussed in the Appearances section
and in the section about the Authors. good grief, who takes care of that site?
Such a shame. He was very involved in the community with his Animal Speak
books and the deck/runes etc.

Emily

I didn't realise he was gone either - His picture is on the front of the Animal Speak Runes book.

I did go and get the Animal Wise out again and am going to do dailies with it. I still like the images used, and also the fact that it does have keywords and although the suit names have changed, he also put what traditional suit they are like Shapeshifters are Cups/water, Winged-Ones are Swords/Air - the Majors have stopped the same. I think this deck deserves to be took off the backburner. :)