shuffling

iceclone

I mix it too... but i'm more of a rifler. It's hard for me to lace though, it feels like something will always jump out. I know that a jumping card would mean something, but I'd rather them not... lol.

Katherynne

I have never, ever, ever mastered the art of riffling. Ever. I can't even do it with playing cards, much less tarot cards which are often various sizes. I do the lacing style of shuffling, though I didn't know there was a name for it -- I just do it because it's embarrassing I can't riffle at all! and it seemed the easiest way otherwise.

jantigercat

I prefer doing the riffle shuffling but recently I realized that my Universal Waite Tarot had started to have some extensive wear at the back. This made me distraught a bit... :-(

Alan Ross

As for how to pronounce "riffle," the Miriam-Webster online dictionary has it with a short i, rhyming with "if." rather than the long i of the firearm "rifle." That agrees with how I've always pronounced it.

I've always used a combination of riffling and lacing. I can't seem to get a thorough shuffle with lacing alone. I have a Hanson-Roberts that I've owned and used regularly for at least 20 years, and I've always riffled it, including doing the "bridge" thing. It's still in excellent shape. When it comes to shuffling, everyone's mileage will vary.

Alan

jantigercat

Alan Ross said:
As for how to pronounce "riffle," the Miriam-Webster online dictionary has it with a short i, rhyming with "if." rather than the long i of the firearm "rifle." That agrees with how I've always pronounced it.

I always though that "riffle" is pronounced like "rifle" (aka gun). I cannot separate the thought of associating the cards to bullets, when they [the cards] are shuffled in the "riffle" fashion.

:))

starrystarrynight

Yeah, it's a short "i" sound (rhymes with "wiffle", as in Wiffle Ball.)

I riffle and then I lace. Always have, likely always will. :)

dimwem

I've always called Riffling "bridging" because I don't think of it as complete unless you get the cool bridge at the end.

I do all three, including 78 card pick-up. I don't literally throw my cards in the air but I do bounce them around in a bag or close my eyes and spread them around on my bed spread.

About not mastering the Lacing- I never thought of it as effective until I met my husband and its about all his family does. I had to admit that when a nimble hand is doing it, it gets the job done. But his cousin is the WORST ever lacer. Just to test his skills I set up a deck in order and asked him to shuffle. I examined the results and found only 15 or so cards out of their original order and most of those in the right order, only in the wrong spot. Lacing takes a little bit of dexterity before it is effective.

rwcarter

dimwem said:
I've always called Riffling "bridging" because I don't think of it as complete unless you get the cool bridge at the end.
I agree that the shuffle doesn't feel complete without the bridging at the end.

Rodney

WonderGuy

i lace 3 times and then riffle.... and then repeat 2 more times. :)

suedally

When I have a new deck I tend to swirl them all around until they are well mixed. After that then I usually lace them, because I don't want them to get damaged.