Pollux's Star of David Spread

Pollux

Ok, it took me a while cos I was doubtful whether to post it or not. It is (at least I believe and was brought to believe so) a very popular spread, so I didn't want to step on any toes and claim to have changed the positions in a way that instead was openly shown somewhere online - I have searched for versions of it, and it seems there's nothing like that, but caution is never enough. I didn't want to hurt of annoy anyone, claiming i had brought changes that instead also other people had.

This spread is probably the first I really felt drawn to. I picked it up maybe... 5 or 6 years ago? When my interest in tarot cards was still something hidden (often to my very own eyes), and it was not structured yet. I picked it on a book/course I had for a while - now I have no idea what it was and who it was by, sorry. More recently, when my fondness grew, I found myself using it more often, and finding that in readings some positions expressed different values than the one I learnt better, and designed my own reading.

[color=735780]............[/color][color=EE6633]1[/color]
[color=735780]......[/color][color=3366EE]4[/color][color=735780]..........[/color][color=3366EE]5[/color]
[color=735780]............[/color][color=EE33EE]7[/color]
[color=735780]......[/color][color=EE6633]3[/color][color=735780]..........[/color][color=EE6633]2[/color]
[color=735780]............[/color][color=3366EE]6[/color]

1) The Querent (or person involved) in the Past
Basis of the reading, Root cause, origin of the problem as placed in the Past. Often it has some archetypal value (a bit like Kether in the Tree of Life).
2) The Querent in the Present
Conditions for them at the present, as they are now at the moment of the reading. Actual, contingent situation, as consequence and result of the previous card - positive or negative aspects.
3) The Querent in the Future
Most likely outcome as natural development of the previous situation; imminent future for the issue. How things will go if the situation won't be changed in a remarkable/detectable way.
4) Environement - Positive
Outer influences that (will) prove favourable to the consultant - they might be before his eyes already. What gives benefits to the consultant in the present situation.
5) Environement - Negative
Outer influences that (will) prove negative or harmful to the consultant. Oppositions, enemies, bad attitudes or habits that hold them.
6) Environement - Wild
Unexpected forces showing up, with surprise effect. Unforeseen influences or developments that require attention, factors that will prove negative or positive according to how the querent reacts or exploits them.
7) Synthesis/Advice
The latter more than the former. A guide for future choices and behaviours; the overall messages, archetypal at times as well (a combination of 1 and 6 at times)

The Star of David, you might know already, combines active and passive in the two triangles (point up = Fire/male ; point down = Water/female). In the spread, the first assesses how the querent influences the issue himself, with his own powers and choices; the second is the receptive pole of the reading, summing all the outer infuences.

I almost always used it for question-based readings, but I have tried it for general ones as well, and it worked fine (even though of course it's hard to detect the pattern and the issue for the position at times are too specific).
I also like the way the cards combine in meanings, and the relationships they establish among themselves. 1-6-7 was the most frequent for me.

Unluckly I cannot give some more specific examples, since my memory fails to draw one, and I still have not a Tarot Journal (but I spotted a notebook with "The Kiss" from Klimt on the cover, and I think it would be great for it! ;)).
Should you have other questions or else... :)

Keslynn

It looks like a wonderful spread for all sorts of situations, and I think I have just the question for it! Thanks for sharing it with us Pollux (and with such lovely formatting).

:) Kes

PS - The notebook with The Kiss on the cover sounds like a lovely tarot journal. I think you should go for it.

evangelion

Alright!

Check the beauty of this one out! Pollux, you rock. I'm gonna try this one when I get home, I think I have just the right question. Thanks alot!

Pollux

You are all welcome, guyz and gals. :D

Uluckily I could not find that notebook any more :( :( :(

I decided to spend a bit of time formatting it cos often people print the content of the boards, and printing a spread makes more sense than printing normal threads... I only hope that the printable version is good enough.

catlin

Hi Pollux, dear, thanks a lot for this spread but why is the querent's present situated on the right and the future on the left? Changing these 2 positions would make more sense to me so have you already tried out to change the 2 positions?

Pollux

Catlin, I prefer it this way a lot.
I don't know why it did not occur to me, maybe simply cos it works that way for me, and feels natural.
I understand your point in putting present and future on a straight line from left to right... but actually it is not the "line" that interests me, but more the circle sorrounding the triangle (clockwise).
Furthermore the right side feels more practical and rational, so the present view fits better, while the left is so more fuzzy... I prefer it also for this left/right difference in perceptions. The right gives you rationality to objectively analyse the present situation; the left intuively helps you divinate what the future developments will be...
Does this make sense? :confused:

WolfSpirit

Pollux thanks so much for posting this spread :*
Also the explanation for the different positions very deep :*

I drew the star on a peace of paper to get the positions right, I had a very good reading with it, will certainly try it again

must say I automatically switched the 2 and 3 positions could not help it ;)

Sinta

Hey thanks :) I'll try it next once I get the right question in my mind *scribbles in her notebook* A very intersting spread indeed. Thanks for sharing! :)

Frequency

Wow...

I used this spread with my Osho Zen and it worked wonderfuly :)
I'm going to print out your post and save it so I can fold it and stick it in my little Osho book thingy :D