Gilded Tarot - Courts

Emeraldgirl

I was looking through my Gilded deck and I noticed a few things on the court cards that I thought I’d share.

Pages:
All are wearing hats or caps of come sort. They appear to be the only really individuals of the courts not really tied in by similarities between them between the suits as the others are. The queens seem to be most similar.

Knights:
All have their visors down so that you can’t see their faces. All the horses except the Knight of Wands are grey. Also all the knights except the Knight of Wands have an animal on their card aside from their horse. The Knight of Pentacles has a rabbit. The Knight of Swords and owl and the Knight of Cups a mouse. Why is the Knight of Wands singled out? Different horse and no other animal.

Queens:
None are enthroned. They are all standing to their left of the collum that appears in every queen card. Also all the cards have clouds in the background. No sunny and clear skies for these queens yet you can feel as though they are really the power behind the throne. Let the Kings float around on their thrones the queens can rule things quite capably from the ground.

Kings:
None of the thrones touch the ground they all sort of float in mid air. Perhaps they are loosing control of their kingdoms? They have the symbol or part of it for each suit on the back of their throne. The end bit of the wand for the King of Wands. The pentacle for the King of Pentacles and The scroll work on the King of cups seems to match the pattern on cup of the Ace of Cups. The King of Swords however doesn’t. He has a star pattern on his throne instead.

Any thoughts or other observations?

StellarMyst

Knight of Wands

The thing about the missing second animal in this picture seems to coincide with the meaning of the card: That "Fools (and the Knight of Wands) rush in where angels fear to tread".

This might be why the card lacks a second animal. The Knight of Wands rushes into things when others tend to look first...in light of this, the card seems to be a warning against careless endeavors.

StellarMyst

Ryver

I can't yet overcome how cold I feel about the court cards in this deck. I really enjoy the deck overall and hope to make a breakthrough. I have been trying to connect but so far they all remain two dimensional. I'm not a novice and have connected well with courts in other decks so it's not about needing to learn more about the court cards in general. I appreciate the observations about thrones possibly not touching and animals/knights and I have been looking carefully at what different postures and symbols can say. There are things there but I still feel like I'm really stretching to convince myself that such and such court card feels like what it's supposed to or even to anything of their own. Anyone else having this experience?

tarotdub

I do find the court cards the most difficult and the hardest of the Gilded Tarot to fully connect with.

PAMUYA

Very nice read on the courts.

ThtDancerGuy

I can't yet overcome how cold I feel about the court cards in this deck. I really enjoy the deck overall and hope to make a breakthrough. I have been trying to connect but so far they all remain two dimensional. I'm not a novice and have connected well with courts in other decks so it's not about needing to learn more about the court cards in general. I appreciate the observations about thrones possibly not touching and animals/knights and I have been looking carefully at what different postures and symbols can say. There are things there but I still feel like I'm really stretching to convince myself that such and such court card feels like what it's supposed to or even to anything of their own. Anyone else having this experience?

YES! Court cards have always been my downfall. I will breeze through a reading with the Major and Minor Arcana because I feel and understand them completely, but it almost kills my reading high when I see a court card, with the occasional exception of the Knights. I've only ever really stuck with the Gilded Tarot as a solid, stable Tarot deck for myself (using the Osho Zen Tarot on the side, but that's besides the point), so it's not even that it's the deck; I've never connected with the Court cards in any deck I've used. But, as unfortunate as it may seem, it serves as a revelation in disguise, revealing something about myself that I was not aware of before... All is a lesson to be learned somehow.

ThtDancerGuy

The thing about the missing second animal in this picture seems to coincide with the meaning of the card: That "Fools (and the Knight of Wands) rush in where angels fear to tread".

This might be why the card lacks a second animal. The Knight of Wands rushes into things when others tend to look first...in light of this, the card seems to be a warning against careless endeavors.

StellarMyst

You'd be correct. In Josephine Ellershaw's "Easy Tarot Handbook" that comes with the deck in a kit, she does indeed shed light on the (almost always evident) need to rush into whatever energy phase the Knight of Wands is addressing, but she advises against it; that one should slow down and look before they choose hastily.

Lili Fleur De Lune

Bonjour ! :cool2:

Knights:
...Why is the Knight of Wands singled out? Different horse and no other animal.

Queens:
...you can feel as though they are really the power behind the throne.

It remind me the game of chess. If you take the king, you win the game. But on the other hand, The Queen is the most dangerous one. She's capable to move at any direction, as far she want. The king can only move on case, one by one.

For the Knights of Wands, maybe THE animal is the horse ? Instead of drawing 2 horses, you have one with a different color.

But i have to admit, StellarMyst suggestion is very good about this card.