Tarot of the Hidden Realm

ZKEI

Nice!
Do you know how big are the cards?

I don't know for sure.
However, from the look of it, I guess it would be the standard Llewellyn card size (e.g. Legacy of the Divine, Steampunk, etc.), which is about 2-3/4" x 4-5/8" (or 7 x 12 cm)

Owl Song

I am so looking forward to this deck. I love the portrait feel and find the faces very well rendered and expressive. This is one of the few new decks on my wish list this year. I can't wait.

lalalibra

I've had my eye on this deck for a while now. I think I'm definitely going to get it, especially now having seen more of the images. It's so gorgeous!

I love the portrait feel and find the faces very well rendered and expressive.

And I also really like how each card is more portrait-like, kind of like a lot of oracle decks. That's something I like about oracles, so I think I'll appreciate that in this tarot. I find the images to seem very evocative, and it seems like it will be a very intuitive deck. :)

Le Fanu

Very well executed, gentle deck. I have enormous respect for the artist's technique and I suspect that since it has a sort of *Froud's Faery* feel to it, people are going to view it as being sort of oracle-y.

I have to confess, just looking at the Majors and those three Minors I would find this deck mind-bendingly impossible to read with. Only the Blasted Birch feels readable (love that card). I'm just imagining these cards all laid out on the reading table and sort of merging. I have intuition but I'm not sure it could stretch to distinguishing differences between cards. It feels very head-and-shoulders / busts plus hardly any symbolism to grab onto...

But I'm sure that a deck this good in terms of artwork will be a success. Was it definitely created as tarot?

lalalibra

I have to confess, just looking at the Majors and those three Minors I would find this deck mind-bendingly impossible to read with. Only the Blasted Birch feels readable (love that card). I'm just imagining these cards all laid out on the reading table and sort of merging. I have intuition but I'm not sure it could stretch to distinguishing differences between cards. It feels very head-and-shoulders / busts plus hardly any symbolism to grab onto...

But I'm sure that a deck this good in terms of artwork will be a success. Was it definitely created as tarot?

It's surely meant to be a tarot deck, from what I can see. But it does remind of an oracle deck, and it does have that sort of Froud's Faeries feel to it (which I like, as that's one of my favorite decks of all time)

As far as reading goes, I guess it's all about what you find works for you personally...

I see a lot of emotion within the cards which is something I enjoy. And I do see symbolism, although I would agree that it is more subtle... But sometimes a lot of symbolism can actually become distracting, at least in my experience. So sometimes it's nice to have that simplicity. I can understand the cards might seem to merge together in a spread, but I suppose one can get around that by either honing in on one card at a time, or by at least working with the deck more and getting to know the cards better...

When I look at the "Fortune Faery" card (10 Wheel of Fortune), for example, my attention landed on the way she is about to blow the seeds from the dandelion. I think that symbol connotes a lot about the idea of chance/fate (the way the seeds scatter, where they land, and whether or not they will grow), and even something like making a wish, or taking the coming and going of things from a more accepting, child-like perspective (as it is usually a child who is so carefree as to pick a dandelion)... So many different ways of looking at it, depending on who you are I suppose :)

I think this deck seems delightful!