The Jungian Tarot

rwcarter

I went right to my Urania version of the deck, but (grumble, grumble, grumble) do you think I can find my Aurelius printing of the deck? :mad:

My Urania printing is in a clamshell case. I guess I can see your "fine coat of varnish" comment about the cards. They're smooth, but they're not silky smooth. The stack of cards is ~25mm or ~1 inch high. Until I can find my other deck, that's all the info I have.

Rodney
A-hem! 8 months later I find my Marcus Aurelius deck. I only had to move (a month ago) and be in the last phase of getting the tarot bookshelves in order to find that I put the Marcus Aurelius version in with my duplicate decks. (Note to self - Different printings and publishers are NOT duplicates!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:)

Anyhow, the MA deck is 7/8" high where the Urania deck is 1" high. The MA deck is slightly bigger than the Urania deck in both length and height. I believe the images are the same size, it's just that the border on the MA deck is slightly bigger. (I'm talking about 1 mm here.) Interestingly enough, the fronts of the MA version are just slightly lighter in color than the Urania version while the backs of the MA version are just slightly darker than the Urania version.

Now that I know where BOTH copies of the deck are, I can answer any other questions..... grumble, grumble, grumble

Rodney

Le Fanu

I have seen new copies of this deck in the last three occult book stores I have been in. Maybe it is making a comeback.

Freddie
funny, I have gone back to using this deck. I think it has something. These are among the most evocative pip cards ever for me. Can't quite put my finger on why. I just got a 2nd copy. Its in the clamshell box with book, dated 1990. Does the Marcus Aurelius printing come as deck only? What's the box like? How would I know if I saw one?

But this deck is surprisingly powerful in its imagery,

Stark Raven

A-hem! 8 months later I find my Marcus Aurelius deck. I only had to move (a month ago) and be in the last phase of getting the tarot bookshelves in order to find that I put the Marcus Aurelius version in with my duplicate decks. (Note to self - Different printings and publishers are NOT duplicates!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:)

Anyhow, the MA deck is 7/8" high where the Urania deck is 1" high. The MA deck is slightly bigger than the Urania deck in both length and height. I believe the images are the same size, it's just that the border on the MA deck is slightly bigger. (I'm talking about 1 mm here.) Interestingly enough, the fronts of the MA version are just slightly lighter in color than the Urania version while the backs of the MA version are just slightly darker than the Urania version.

Now that I know where BOTH copies of the deck are, I can answer any other questions..... grumble, grumble, grumble

Rodney

I was hoping to have opportunity to ask this question! Great you found your deck Rodney. Good for you.

Does the Marcus Aurelius printing have a different finish? In my mind I already hear 'of course it does'; and that's what I am hoping for. I want to use this deck, but I have retired the Urania one after a considerably small amount of uses, as it's so scuffy.

Stark Raven

funny, I have gone back to using this deck. I think it has something. These are among the most evocative pip cards ever for me. Can't quite put my finger on why. I just got a 2nd copy. Its in the clamshell box with book, dated 1990. Does the Marcus Aurelius printing come as deck only? What's the box like? How would I know if I saw one?

But this deck is surprisingly powerful in its imagery,

I totally agree with you on this point Le Fanu. I too cannot put my finger on it, and as a matter of fact can't fully appreciate the artwork, but am strongly drawn to it just the same.

Recently I have done a deeper yet study of color symbolism; and think I shall feel even closer to the Jungian deck, now that I have a more profound understanding of color in Tarot. One thing is for sure, it is very richly colorful.

rwcarter

I was hoping to have opportunity to ask this question! Great you found your deck Rodney. Good for you.

Does the Marcus Aurelius printing have a different finish? In my mind I already hear 'of course it does'; and that's what I am hoping for. I want to use this deck, but I have retired the Urania one after a considerably small amount of uses, as it's so scuffy.

Not quite sure how to answer this question. The MA deck has a glossier finish. Can't tell if it's thicker than the Urania finish or if that's the cardstock I'm feeling. Gently scraping my thumbnail over the Fool from both decks, there seems to be more resistance from the MA deck.

rwcarter

Does the Marcus Aurelius printing come as deck only? What's the box like? How would I know if I saw one?
I've only seen it as deck only with the MA version of the book available separately. (I may have bought them together, but they arrived as two separate items, not as a kit.) The MA version has ISBN of 0-9715591-2-0 and is printed in China. The image on the front of the clamshell case is the same image on the front of the MA deck. MA Press appears on the bottom and back of the box. Attached image borrowed from Amazon. The box comes up as a purplish blue, but the box is actually black. Amazon lists the deck as published in 2001, but the box says copyright 2002.

Oh, and both decks have copyrights on the backs of the cards. The Urania version is "1988 by Robert Wang" and the MA version is "Robert Wang 2002".

Attachments

• MA Jungian Tarot Box.jpg
    MA Jungian Tarot Box.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 80

Le Fanu

Thank you Rodney. I think I can safely say that my two versions are the older Urania versions. I thought the deck might be a more recent edition but its still dated 1990. That's recent enough, right?

Stark Raven

Not quite sure how to answer this question. The MA deck has a glossier finish. Can't tell if it's thicker than the Urania finish or if that's the cardstock I'm feeling. Gently scraping my thumbnail over the Fool from both decks, there seems to be more resistance from the MA deck.

Thanks Rodney, I appreciate you looking at this. Yes, I must get my hands on the Marcus Aurelius version.

Stark Raven

Well this is a long time after the thread began, but I wanted to point something out. What appeared to be a rougher finish on the front of the card, in fact was not. I brought it out yesterday, and whatever the previous owner had applied to the card faces completely rubbed off as I shuffled them. I now see why they did that (attempted to refinish them), as the card faces are very scuffed now it's gone... and here I thought I had ruined them with fanning powder...

But that solved the mystery as to why the fronts were so different than the backs... someone had sprayed something on them. That said, I wonder why there are no scratches at all on the backs...