Pros and Cons Thread #3 - Enabling and De-Enabling

CrystalSeas

Excerpted: "donde estan la simbologia arquetipica en estas cartas,donde estan los milenios de sabiduria oculta en este tarot.sin duda no hay ni una verdad aqui,solo un gran negocio en el cual mucha gente cae y compra las cartas.".

Yes, the site where that quote comes from seems to believe that only the Marseille tarot is the "true" tarot. They are also selling their own tarot course for 1300 Mexican pesos.

es mejor que estudien de verdad todo el tarot que tiene milenios de antiguedad como el tarot EGIPCIO TAROT RAIDER, TAROT MARSELLES,,eso ayudara a dar una buena consejeria espiritual.

Translation:

it is better to study the real tarot that is millennia old, such as the Raider tarot, EGYPTIAN TAROT, TAROT of MARSELLES, that give a good spiritual counseling.

I think the "RAIDER" tarot refers to the Rider deck, but as we all know, that's not millennia old, nor is the "Egyptian" tarot millennia old.

The conceit may or may not be well executed, but the site you're quoting seems to believe that the deck is 'fake' because it isn't the Marseilles tarot. I suspect they'd be equivalently outraged by other decks that aren't "millennia old". Whatever the artistic value of that deck, that site doesn't seem to be a particularly unbiased judge of its validity as a tarot deck.

Dee Ell

Yes, the site where that quote comes from seems to believe that only the Marseille tarot is the "true" tarot

es mejor que estudien de verdad todo el tarot que tiene milenios de antiguedad como el tarot EGIPCIO TAROT RAIDER, TAROT MARSELLES,,eso ayudara a dar una buena consejeria espiritual.

Translation:

it is better to study the real tarot that is millennia old, such as the Raider tarot, EGYPTIAN TAROT, TAROT of MARSELLES, that give a good spiritual counseling.

I think the "RAIDER" tarot refers to the Rider deck, but as we all know, that's not millennia old, nor is the "Egyptian" tarot millennia old.

The conceit may or may not be well executed, but the site you're quoting seems to believe that the deck is 'fake' because it isn't the Marseilles tarot. I suspect they'd be equivalently outraged by other decks that aren't "millennia old"

I didn't read the entire page so I can't say what I think the author's global intent/opinion is on tarot but I don't take the quote you copied in that way, especially taken with the quote I copied which I'll translate for the benefit of non - Spanish readers here:
"donde estan la simbologia arquetipica en estas cartas,donde estan los milenios de sabiduria oculta en este tarot.sin duda no hay ni una verdad aqui,solo un gran negocio en el cual mucha gente cae y compra las cartas.".

Translation: Where is the archetypal symbolism in these cards? Where are the millenia of occult knowledge in this tarot? Without a doubt there is not a single truth here, just a big business into which a lot of people fall and buy the cards.

So I see it as the reviewer saying to find cards that utilize the wealth of esoteric knowledge of the past (like the RWS, Marseille, etc) rather than a deck with superficial similarities to tarot but which contains no avenues toward deeper truths...

Regardless, as I said before, if someone can use that deck in such a way, great. My intention wasn't to say they're absolutely useless, just to alert people to what they'd be buying: a deck of 78 multicolored clones.

prudence

Dee Ell, I had seen that deck a few years ago, I was very disappointed by the repeated use of the same image in such a noncreative way.

Laura Borealis

Future Vision Gem Tarot

Not to change the subject but. This has been bubbling in my mind all day.

Future Vision Gem Tarot - It's a Steven Universe fanart deck. So freaking cute. I ADORE Steven Universe but do I want to drop $40 on a deck that I probably won't read with? It would make me smile but is that really enough?

Help me, enablers and de-enablers!

I do have a birthday coming up.

*sings* We are the Crystal Gems
We'll always save the day!

RiverRunsDeep

Invisible Light Tarot

Interested in your thoughts about the Invisible Light Tarot. I recently saw the deck on Etsy, and it seems very lovely. But, is it a lovely collection of cards with no readability? Wondering how well it reads, and what you love about the deck.

Michellehihi

Not to change the subject but. This has been bubbling in my mind all day.

Future Vision Gem Tarot - It's a Steven Universe fanart deck. So freaking cute. I ADORE Steven Universe but do I want to drop $40 on a deck that I probably won't read with? It would make me smile but is that really enough?

Help me, enablers and de-enablers!

I do have a birthday coming up.

*sings* We are the Crystal Gems
We'll always save the day!
I don't see much tarot in these cards....just cartoons. My personal opinion.

Modal Soul

I completely disagree with Michelle. I know SU well, and in the context of the show, all the tarot symbolism they paired the characters with works pretty well. It's the price for the deck itself that gives me pause - I think my limit would be $30, especially if I felt like it's not something I'll really read with.

Sit with it for a while, Laura. If there's other decks in the price range you've been jumping to read with, I'd get one of them instead.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Laura Borealis

That's what I'm thinking, Modal Soul. It costs too much for what it is. Although I do appreciate the effort of making 78 individual drawings and the extra work of putting the deck together, I think $40 is a lot for a Gamecrafter deck. I did see on her blog that she plans a poker-sized edition so I'll wait and see how she prices it.

I was surprised how well she matched tarot archetypes to the SU characters. I love Connie for the Star, and Sadie for the Sun. Cookie Cat for Death and Onion for the Devil cracked me up. The only quibble I have is I wish she'd used Stevonnie for Temperance. Personally I think that would be perfect.

Michellehihi, I do see your point, but I'm seeing it as sort of like the Hello Kitty tarot. Cute and collectable, fun to read with now and then but not a deep deck. The big difference being I'm a SU fan. Whereas I know very little about the Sanrio universe.

Laura Borealis

Interested in your thoughts about the Invisible Light Tarot. I recently saw the deck on Etsy, and it seems very lovely. But, is it a lovely collection of cards with no readability? Wondering how well it reads, and what you love about the deck.

It looks quite beautiful from the pics there. I'm intrigued by the "expired and rare infrared film" thing, too. Pity you can't see a few more cards though. I hope someone here has it and can tell us more.

Oh wait - here you go. http://www.invisiblelighttarot.com/images/

Some nice images and I can see the archetypes in some of them, others aren't saying much to me. The palette is very Starchild, but without the trippiness.

Sphynx131

Anyone care to enable or de-enable me on the singing serpent tarot? It's sitting in my etsy cart, I'm just waiting on news of the postal strike, figured I'd see if I can be swayed either way while I wait [emoji1]

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk