My First Blushing Fool!!

dadsnook2000

Centennial edition

The Centennial edition recently released in a box with Waite's Pictorial Key to the Tarot and Kaplan's The Artwork and Times of Pamela Coleman Smith, along with a few other goodies, has a new backing --- and the Fool has the same red-tinged facial tones as was depicted in the "blushing fool."

Since I had given my earlier deck, 1970's, to my daughter, I thought it would be nice to pick up the Centennial edition, especially for the book on Pixie's artwork. The new edition is supposed to replicate the coloring and sharpness of the original deck. It appears to do so. I am quite pleased with this package from US Games. Dave

canid

Damn. I gave mine away years ago.

missy

dadsnook2000 said:
The Centennial edition recently released in a box with Waite's Pictorial Key to the Tarot and Kaplan's The Artwork and Times of Pamela Coleman Smith, along with a few other goodies, has a new backing --- and the Fool has the same red-tinged facial tones as was depicted in the "blushing fool."

Since I had given my earlier deck, 1970's, to my daughter, I thought it would be nice to pick up the Centennial edition, especially for the book on Pixie's artwork. The new edition is supposed to replicate the coloring and sharpness of the original deck. It appears to do so. I am quite pleased with this package from US Games. Dave

Thank you, Dave, I will definitely consider it. :)

But this would have the typical U.S. Games lamination, no?

I really was looking for a true vintage, erm, older? whatever the term is :D deck. A vintage deck instead of a modern deck, in other words. But it is very interesting that they chose to replicate the Blushing Fool on the Centennial edition!

missy

canid said:
Damn. I gave mine away years ago.

I know how this must feel! I have done that with certain things, only to want them back later. :eek:

It is one reason that I am still holding onto decks that I think I *may* want to sell one day. :D

Celice

I think the lamination is really nice on the Centennial deck you would probably like it. The cards are thick and have a nice soft matte finish. I'm really happy with the deck. The only thing I would have wished for is the copyright to not be on there.

dadsnook2000

Copyright

The copyright that US Games has on the Waite-Smitch deck applies to the card back design, not the tarot images side. Tarot L had, at one time, a link from which I downloaded an extensive report on their copyright. This design is now 100 years old, patents don't exist in perpetuity. Dave

Celice

Yeah well that doesn't stop them from posting the copyright on the front of the card... It's small and on the border but it's still there. :(

But that shouldn't stop someone from enjoying that deck. I just notice it occasionally.

missy

How ironic that Kaplan would copy the original deck, yet make it less authentic by adding his own copyright. :D

Getting back to these vintage decks, it is precisely why I looked for one without the U.S. Games copyright. I really dislike that ugly thing on the card faces. :rolleyes: I know it doesn't bother everyone, but I'd rather not have it! ;)

meghandawson`

I'm using my grandmothers Rider deck. it's super old but I have no idea how old.. maybe I should ask next time I see her..

photokat

meghandawson` said:
I'm using my grandmothers Rider deck. it's super old but I have no idea how old.. maybe I should ask next time I see her..

Maybe you can take a photo and post it here?