RWS Clones

Richard

Now I want to get an Albano-Waite deck for comparison because of this thread.......
It's a great deck on it's own. Too bad the Italian printing is a bit sloppy. Even so, it is a very stimulating version of the Rider-Waite!

Freddie

It's a great deck on it's own. Too bad the Italian printing is a bit sloppy. Even so, it is a very stimulating version of the Rider-Waite!

Maybe this one will get a China makeover as well. Albano is a great deck indeed.

Freddie

Richard

Maybe this one will get a China makeover as well. Albano is a great deck indeed.

Freddie
A Chinese makeover would be nice. And while they are at it, a pocket size edition would be nice too.

jackdaw*

Now that would be awesome. The Albano Waite is my favourite deck, but the only one I've found with printing/lamination to my satisfaction has been the miniature. I would love a pocket size, as I prefer smaller decks but not really tiny.

Richard

jackdaw*, there is an original 1968 Albano for sale. It looks to be in very good condition. It was too much $$$ for me, and the seller says No Returns, so I passed.

ETA. Actually it is an auction. It might be interesting to watch the action towards the end. I've seen BIN 1968 Albanos for over $100 USD.

truelighth

I think that Rider decks that are just recoloured are unjustly being called clones e.g. Albano-Waite. In my opinion, a Rider clone is more like Hanson-Roberts or Morgan-Greer.

There are many decks that get the label of being a Rider clone. But in my opinion, there are different categories. A lot of decks have some RWS influence, but would not really immediately be a clone. I personally divide the 'clones' up in:

- re-coloured (using same line art, but different colouring)

- re-drawn (using the exact imagery, but then drawn differently or with animals or sorts, like DeAngelis, Bota, Gummibear)

-RWS-based (meaning very closely based on the RWS, like th MOrgan Greer or the Hanson-Roberts. But yet being different enough to not be just a re-drawing)

There are also a few what I call, half-clones. Where half of the deck is based on the RWS, often just the minors. The Thompson-Leng is one of those too.

The Albano-Waite is most definately a re-colouring.