Good quality RWS deck?

Siochanai

Hello everyone my RWS deck I have is really growing on me but it has some issues. First the card sock is rather thin and they are super glossy to the point where they slide like they are on ice. I have the Universal Waite coloring of the deck. I don't care if it is the universal or the standard coloring. I just want something sturdier and less glossy any pointers?

zan_chan

The deck you want is the Pamela Coleman Smith Commemorative Set. Hands-down best readily-available edition of the RWS. $22 on Amazon. Everyone needs one :)

Siochanai

Thanks for the quick reply will order one now

gregory

A wise choice :)

Le Fanu

Yes (even though I don't really like the backs or tea-staining, but yes...)

zan_chan

Really? I love the tea-stained look. The backs I can go either way on. Does any RWS edition have a really stand-out back?

But oh the cardstock on the PCS! That glorious, waxy cardstock!

Siochanai

Yea with my universal Waite the card stock feels so thin that I swear they will rip when I shuffle. That and the paint thinner like oder they have. The backs are pretty tho navy blue with stars.

Barleywine

Thanks for the heads-up. I assume the tea-staining is supposed to be some kind of artificial aging, but that would put me right off it. Back on topic, I have the Radiant RWS. The beefy card-stock and vibrant coloring are impressive, although the finish (which I didn't like at first but do - somewhat - now) is VERY slick and slippery. Now if I could just get the chemical stink out of them . . .

Le Fanu

Does any RWS edition have a really stand-out back?
Yes, The Original; Rose & Lilies backs.

Now if we could have the details and colouring of the Commemorative set deck and the backs of The Original it would almost, almost look like an authentic, real RWS deck from 1909. Oh hang on, that's the point. It can't...

Richard

I wouldn't call it exactly tea-stained, just sort of creamy white (depending on the lighting), not at all unnatural looking. I wasn't sure that I was going to like it, but it's easily my all time favorite. (The attachment is an unretouched scan.)

Attachments

• smithwaite.jpg
    smithwaite.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 291