RWS Magician - table edge

tarotbear

Without my Tarot books to reference I thought it would be easier to ask my AT Family ~

What are the symbols on the edge of the Magician's table? (attached) It looks like 3 out of 4 elemental symbols - probably mountains for Earth, flames for Fire, and a bird for Air?

Currently I am working on the Magician in cross-stitch:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=187017

and although I am not yet stitching the table the symbols on the chart are just blobs - so if I can fit something in that tiny space I figure it might as well relate back to Pixie's design (or create something better than the chart shows). If they are the elements, it's too bad she didn't try to get the fourth one in there somewhere.

Suggestions? Clues? I will only have a space @ 15 stiches long by 5 or 6 stitches high-roughly 1 inch x 1/2 inch to put these in. {I can make the table edge deeper than the chart - it will not throw off the design.}

Attachments

• detail table edge.jpeg
    detail table edge.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 303

celticnoodle

for some reason, TB, when I opened the picture attached it only completed about 1/3 of the picture. So, I couldn't see the full card. not sure if anyone else is having the same issue--but maybe you can re-do the attachment?

tarotbear

It's just the detail of the table edge - not the full card.

Should also clarify - I have a 1" x 1/2" space for EACH design.

tarotbear

So this got moved to a thread I don't go to.{I followed Rod's link - thank you Rod.}

If someone has the actual Hebrew letters for 'DIN' available - please pm them to me and maybe I can fit them onto the top of the table leg. There is not a single element of the design that I haven't changed yet to simplify or clarify it.

Thank you.

TB

Zephyros

I think the symbols are alchemical, in essence, the three "prime movers": the eagle for salt, what looks like a lion for sulphur and the waves for mercury. Salt symbolizes inert matter, sulphur is the catalyst and mercury is the interaction between them (The Empress, Emperor and Magician).

You could stitch their alchemical symbols on the edge, and it would be a lot simpler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alchemical_symbol

Richard

As closrapexa said, from right to left: eagle, lion, waves. These represent the fixed signs Scorpio, Leo, Aquarius, and the corresponding elements, Water, Fire, Air. Waite (the Magician), being a good Qabalist, doesn't need the Earth symbol (bull/Taurus) because the element Earth is implicit in Water, Fire, and Air, according to Sefer Yetzirah.

Of course, this is just conjecture. They might just be random scribblings by Pixie.

Richard

Of course, closrapexa's interpretation works too. Also, don't forget the Tzaddi [size=+1]צ [/size] (Star) and Kaph [size=+1]כ [/size] (Wheel of Fortune) on the Wand.

Attachments

• tzaddi.jpg
    tzaddi.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 232

Richard

TB, here's DIN in Hebrew in two styles.

Streamlined: [size=+2]דין[/size]

Traditional:

Attachments

• din.jpg
    din.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 219

tarotbear

'Hebrew for Christians'

I found this: http://hebrew4christians.com/ which is interesting, altho I do admit the classical alchemical symbols would work nicely - I could just divide the space into 4 to use them.

Thank you, LRichard for Tzaddi and Kaph - which are also just blobs on the chart.