Source of minors meanings?

Teheuti

If the GD system influences RW and Thoth then we should use the GD astro system and that is a sidereal system. If one says Mars in Aries most unconsiously convert to western tropical astrology. No problem yet. But if you are going to pick a court based on someones astrology and are going off their natal western tropical astrology then you will be making a peanut butter sandwich with vegamite.
While Mathers seemed to be heading in the direction of sidereal astrology that is not true of the records left by other GD members who still used the tropical system as their own charts and notations show. Also, Crowley's commentary on the Minors closely matches the material he wrote for Evangeline Adams describing a planet in a sidereal sign. Theory is great, but I tried to examine closely what Golden Dawn members actually did in their own practices. I agree that the Court Card correspondences come closest to an actual sidereal alignment - but not the decans. Do the Picatrix and Agrippa work with a tropical system? I don't believe so (what date is given for 0° Aries?).

ravenest

While Mathers seemed to be heading in the direction of sidereal astrology that is not true of the records left by other GD members who still used the tropical system as their own charts and notations show.

One wonders then what they made of ... say Knight of Wands Rules .... including part of Hercules, or Knight of Cups Rules ... including most of Pegasus?

Also, Crowley's commentary on the Minors closely matches the material he wrote for Evangeline Adams describing a planet in a sidereal sign. Theory is great, but I tried to examine closely what Golden Dawn members actually did in their own practices.

Their system is set on the position of Regulus as 0 deg Leo - that aint tropical!

I agree that the Court Card correspondences come closest to an actual sidereal alignment - but not the decans.

But the whole concept of decans came from sidereal astrology. probably got corrupted when people relied on charts and ephemeris instead of the actual sky?

Do the Picatrix and Agrippa work with a tropical system? I don't believe so (what date is given for 0° Aries?).

Cant remember ... around 300 ad. I think .

ravenest

Also the system uses the 'Chaldean' order of planets to annote the decans ... if the other rulership etc, method is used that might be closer to the modern concept of astrology and the modern usage of dividing the sign into thirds?

I guess its just the intrusion of this modern popular type of astology with that 'Leo' fellow.

Richard

There is another important layer of significance for the RWS Minors which was discovered by Mary K. Greer. Each suit illustrates a narrative about the Holy Grail or Solomon's Temple. There is an explanation of this in an article by her in Llewellyn's 2006 Tarot Reader.

BSwett

Interesting! Is this llewellyn reader a book? A magazine? A web page? Could I find it online?

BSwett

Woah, Awesome! Thanks for that info. Just saw it on amazon for a quarter! Deal!