German OTO 'Thoth' deck

Zephyros

Does anyone know if this is "it?" I mean, the way this deck looks, is it the way the original paintings look, and the way the deck is supposed to be?

ravenest

Beats me? Any views I have had of the paintings are though the internet or a computer screen, so I cant tell. I think some here may have been to an exhibit - Aeon maybe?

gregory

Beats me? Any views I have had of the paintings are though the internet or a computer screen, so I cant tell. I think some here may have been to an exhibit - Aeon maybe?

As far as I know no-one here has made it. I know several who have tried (including me) - but you have to produce COMPELLING evidence that you are involved in EVER SUCH SERIOUS study and so on... Sad.

Richard

Does anyone know if this is "it?" I mean, the way this deck looks, is it the way the original paintings look, and the way the deck is supposed to be?
I'm something of a photographer and painter myself. I should think that Harris would have been a much better artist than to leave such a disparity in contrast and color saturation from one painting to another. If some of the images for these cards were newly photographed from the original paintings, then it looks as if they may have been underexposed. They apparently used an expensive camera, but the final image depends more on the skill of the photographer than the quality of the camera lens. OTO may have hired the wrong photographer for the job.

ravenest

As far as I know no-one here has made it. I know several who have tried (including me) - but you have to produce COMPELLING evidence that you are involved in EVER SUCH SERIOUS study and so on... Sad.

What? To get into an exhibit of paintings ... I am sure there have been public exhibits.

What, they wanted to examine your magical diary before they sell you a ticket ... whatever do you mean G?

ravenest

A friend turned up last night, just back from the city ... with a new Thoth (this woman is soooo funny - she needed a new deck as the last one lost some cards ages ago .... then a few more ... then some more .... over a period of time ... and she has been using it like that :laugh: - anyway) I quiet liked the level of saturation on these but it was a little too much, the dark very dark and basically an orange red tinge to a lot of cards ... which is probably better than greenish tinge.

It was a medium 1962 imprint OTO international/A.G. Muller Switzerland and cost $A35 (close to $USA35) is that a good price? She got it from a market stall full of pixies, fairies and affirmation snake oil ... but the woman had a Thoth under the counter.

About to contact this woman, she might have a stash of old Thoth decks she doesnt think will sell anymore?

Freddie said:
I am shocked at how much the Agmuller Blue Swiss Medium deck is going for...ouch...

How much?

Laura Borealis

What? To get into an exhibit of paintings ... I am sure there have been public exhibits.

What, they wanted to examine your magical diary before they sell you a ticket ... whatever do you mean G?

Aren't they locked away at the Warburg Institute or something? So you'd probably have to be an academic and show credentials etc.

Aeon418

The Thoth paintings are part of the Yorke collection housed at the Warburg Institute of the University of London. To gain access you probably need to be an accademic or have a reference from an accademic.

Cross posted with above

Aeon418

Also it might be harder to get access now than in the past. Rumour has it that several items have gone missing from the Yorke collection over the years. I guess the temptation to own a real bit of Crowleyana was just too much for some sticky fingered individuals. :rolleyes:

Zephyros

It's a pity you can't just say you're initiated or enlightened or whatnot. Bring a note from your HGA saying it's cool.