Thoth Tarot Deck: Should it stay or go?

Zephyros

How does that single quote say anything about either Aleister Crowley or the Thoth Tarot?

Haven't read the book, but I have read of others who misconstrued "Do What Thou Wilt," understanding it as "do what you want," and used a shallow understanding of the maxim to justify terrible deeds. This isn't different from people saying "the Devil made me do it" or a thousand other ways people shirk responsibility for their actions. But, as you say, it has little to do with the source.

ravenest

I'm confused! Taylor Stevens' book "The Innocent: A Vanessa Michael Munroe Novel" is a work of fiction, the only reference to Aleister Crowley in the book is this:

'The Prophet's doctrine was Saint Augustine saying, "Love, and do as you will"; It was Aleister Crowley's dictum, "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law"; It was Saint Paul's, "All things are lawful unto me" ' --- and a description of how "The Prophet" (not Crowley) justified pedophilia as long as the motivation was love.

How does that single quote say anything about either Aleister Crowley or the Thoth Tarot?

Well Zezina has yet to return here to justify her confused and mixed up comments.

Typical. People who are into Crowley's system are often accused of being biased and banding together to squash any criticism of that system. It usually centres around the above issues. But most of the time (here anyway) its not the associated targets of that criticism that are the ones that can not hold up a debate.

They purport righteousness and white light new wonderful awareness yet spread slander and gossip and issue challenges but wont answer the questions, lay red herrings on the path and usually cant contextualise their comments in a reasonable and logical manner ... then disappear when they are asked to justify things in a reasonable and sensible way.

This rather pathetic and amateur attempt was not planned well at all.

Thanks for debunking the reference Panpiper

ravenest

Haven't read the book, but I have read of others who misconstrued "Do What Thou Wilt," understanding it as "do what you want," and used a shallow understanding of the maxim to justify terrible deeds. This isn't different from people saying "the Devil made me do it" or a thousand other ways people shirk responsibility for their actions. But, as you say, it has little to do with the source.

Exactly! Here is a great way to shirk your responsibilities; Some Russian Christian sect (cant remember their name) had a strict religious code, it stated that all of the creatures who walked upon the surface of God's earth were to obey God's laws.

Thing was there were networks of caves in their area (which are not upon the surface of the earth - technically). Guess what went on down there? })

Always Wondering

I have met with challenges to my perceptions and biases, some of which have kicked me soundly in the behind. Overcoming those mental and spiritual challenges is not only a constant effort, but they also don't bring me any closer to becoming "like Crowley," but more like me, myself.

Well said!
And kind of beautiful.

AW