The Thoth tarot and Astrology

ravenest

MY brain just exploded.

An apt description. That's the way I am seeing astrology; like an exploded version, all the bits separated, some astrologers see all the bits as an holistic interconnected picture, at a glance they can retrace the trajectories. get it at virtually a snapshot look.

I can do that with tarot ... some are still seeing all the tarot connections as exploded bits.

It works with Qabbalah too; some at a glance seem to be able to realise the whole ... here I have to work a bit to see the connections.

I wish I could somehow do a Vulcan mind meld with ya !

WE could try, but I have very out there view of what/where Vulcan is ; the 2nd planet out from the Sun ;)

Chiska

I myself have very little knowledge of astrology, and base myself on Qabalah. When considering the astrological attributions, I mostly read their stories, and it does work. The attributions on the cards serve less to give astrological information, but more semantic connections, and they do this very well. For example, Sun in Ares could refer to someone born in February/April, but it works better if you consider the Sun energizing (as it does with all signs, astrologically) the Ram, phallic, single minded, strong, willful yet in balance, because it isn't at war with anyone. This gives us Virtue, the Three of Wands, appreciation of one's inherent power, etc.

Once you get into the spirit of looking at things from that perspective, you begin to pick up connections between cards where they were not apparent before. For example, Taurus attributed to the Hierophant is ruled by Venus, but the Moon is exalted in it. Cancer attributed to the Chariot is ruled by the Moon, and the Priestess is attributed to the Moon. So there is a connection between the ideas these cards put forward. What those connections are is probably up to you to decypher. It may seem confusing, especially the way I'm explaining it, but it gets easier. You can find connections between the Majors and the Minors (the Three of Wands could be thought of as the Sun card shining on the Emperor card)... the possibilities are endless, really. Just jump in, it'll all be clearer in time.

Wow. Something just "clicked" for me. Thank you. :) Wasn't confusing the way you explained it all! Now, i am going to go work on my correspondence charts some more.

treedog

The Cube of Space offers even more relations between the Planets (double letters) and the astrological signs and elements...

Every time I'd come across references to that crazy cube my eyes would gloss over and I'd move on. Then one day it caught my attention. Interesting! I'm not fully checked out on the Cube of Space, but I'm no longer afraid of it. I didn't realize that the astrological signs were directly related. Thanks. I'll pay more attention next time.

Richard

Every time I'd come across references to that crazy cube my eyes would gloss over and I'd move on. Then one day it caught my attention. Interesting! I'm not fully checked out on the Cube of Space, but I'm no longer afraid of it. I didn't realize that the astrological signs were directly related. Thanks. I'll pay more attention next time.
I'm a mathematician, so I'm attracted to structures like the cube, but most people don't think that way, which is understandable. It's just another way to organize the 22 Tarot Keys (or Hebrew letters and their astrological and elemental attributions). It's not complicated in the least, but trying to explain in words where everything goes makes it seem a lot harder than it really is.

treedog

I'm a mathematician, so I'm attracted to structures like the cube...

I have and image of the cube in some P.F. Case books, but if you have a nice diagram with astrological attributions that you'd like to post that would be grand.

(I like the new avatar. Reminds me of the Fool in the Golden Dawn Tarot.)

Richard

I have and image of the cube in some P.F. Case books, but if you have a nice diagram with astrological attributions that you'd like to post that would be grand.

(I like the new avatar. Reminds me of the Fool in the Golden Dawn Tarot.)
Here is what I use. To keep it uncluttered, it is just labeled with the numbers of the Keys. There is one diagram for the interior axes, another for the faces and center, and another for the edges. The astrological and elemental attributions are part of the memory work. })

Attachments

• cos.jpg
    cos.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 131

ravenest

Okay, that's great! Seeing the three aspects of the cube divided like that (I am used to contemplating them all in one) has led me to a totally new idea ... still forming.

I love it when that happens! Thanks :)

Off to contemplate some more.

DaisyDragonfly

I lurk round Thoth - feel hopelessly qualified to make the shortest comment - but this:

You can find connections between the Majors and the Minors (the Three of Wands could be thought of as the Sun card shining on the Emperor card)... the possibilities are endless, really. Just jump in, it'll all be clearer in time.

is awesome. I'm going to read through the whole post and thread again and try to internalize this. :thumbsup: I think you've just handed over the key to this tarot business...

Thank you!

Zephyros

I lurk round Thoth - feel hopelessly qualified to make the shortest comment - but this:

is awesome. I'm going to read through the whole post and thread again and try to internalize this. :thumbsup: I think you've just handed over the key to this tarot business...

Thank you!

Well, the Qabalistic attributions have a lot to say as well, perhaps even more, so while I'm happy my astrology hack pleases you, it really isn't the end-all :)

DaisyDragonfly

Well, the Qabalistic attributions have a lot to say as well, perhaps even more, so while I'm happy my astrology hack pleases you, it really isn't the end-all :)

Perhaps not, but it is a new way to consider the minors for me - therefore, immensely useful! It honestly made me look at those cards differently and was a true 'aha!' moment for me. A significant response, given that I started reading about tarot twenty years ago. (What can I say? I'm not the quickest kid on the block).

Qabala I'm saving until I have time to really sit down with it. Can't do it when I'm at work - it needs some kind of study routine, not just five minutes whenever I get the chance. No doubt, there's another 'aha' moment awaiting me there, too... ;)

So, in the meantime, your comment has given me a whole different way of thinking about the cards. That's good.