Liber T - 8 of Scepters/Wands Imagery Query

Spiffo

Please be gentle with me this is the first thread I've started so fingers crossed I do this right and don't get banned.

Just getting to know Liber-T Tarot and the 8 of Scepters/Wands is driving me crazy. I just see a guy with a moustache and a cowboy hat ... I'm sure I'm just seeing this wrong, some trick of the light or something. I've looked at the Picatrix description and I'm happy with the accepted meanings of this card, even the Decan descriptions but this imagery ... I'm missing something.

Can any wise patient soul help me?

XpS

Abrac

The person's head is covered with a hood and most of the face too. I think the "moustache" you're seeing is an opening between the top and bottom parts of the cloak. It's dark so you can't see the person's face. :)

Spiffo

Thanks, I still see the Cowboy from the Village People ... it must be the perspective I'm just not registering.

XpS

The person's head is covered with a hood and most of the face too. I think the "moustache" you're seeing is an opening between the top and bottom parts of the cloak. It's dark so you can't see the person's face. :)

Emily

Also reading from Scion's Guide, the man under the hood also has the face of a dog. But now you see him as the cowboy, well you'll probably always think of him that way. :) but you can work with that, the card still portrays Swiftness, creative fire, the axe has a sharp edge. I see that again as being sharp, maybe a creative mind. The arrows show movement. There is a lot more going on in this card. :)

Spiffo

Hi Emily thanks, I've been playing with an image of the card, looking at it under different magnification, saturation etc. I can certainly now see the hands holding the 'axe' (at last!) - it's funny how your eyes see one thing even though your brain is saying something else.

I've gone back to Scion's Guide again and have that in the forefront of my mind. I really like the circular light field; it seems to communicate all those ideas of speed, swiftness, communication, electricity, emanation and so forth. The 'net' has so many connotations ...

I'll just keep contemplating this card ... I'm going with the idea that my visual-misinterpretation means something and maybe my Deck is telling me something. Perhaps Zagan can make this Fool wise!

Thank You for your help.

XpS

Also reading from Scion's Guide, the man under the hood also has the face of a dog. But now you see him as the cowboy, well you'll probably always think of him that way. :) but you can work with that, the card still portrays Swiftness, creative fire, the axe has a sharp edge. I see that again as being sharp, maybe a creative mind. The arrows show movement. There is a lot more going on in this card. :)

Emily

Hi Spiffo, the Liber T is a really easy deck to get along with, very forgiving. I've used it for a while now and am still seeing things on the cards that I've missed and then when something does hit me like that, I think how could I have missed it. Lol

Spiffo

I'm quite surprised by it; Liber T that is. I'd had it for ages before using it thinking I'd be better to just concentrate on Thoth but how wrong was I. Some things I'd struggled with in Thoth were enlightened by Liber T and I'm finding the reverse true too.

It was your words in another thread that gave me the encouragement to have a go with it and I'm so glad I did. Although I'd have struggled if I hadn't come across Scion's Guide (which is bloody brilliant as you know; I hope he gets it published).

XpS

Hi Spiffo, the Liber T is a really easy deck to get along with, very forgiving. I've used it for a while now and am still seeing things on the cards that I've missed and then when something does hit me like that, I think how could I have missed it. Lol

Emily

I really like Scion's Guide too, I printed the first version out then added the parts of the second version to it. Out of all my tarot books this is the one that I've read the most, I can't wait for him to publish it properly.

It was Scion who started my interest in the Liber T. I'd had the deck before when it was first published and hated it on sight, traded it away then 4 years later Scion posted that it was to be made OOP because it wasn't very popular and it sparked my interest. I looked at it again online, realised I could read them and it was love at first sight. Seven years (maybe more) and its a constant in my life. I love it now just as much as I did. LoScarabeo never made it OOP. :) but I have 3 copies just in case.

I've found that its suitable for every situation and question, I don't swop decks now and sometimes just one card can tell you so much. I used to do one card dailies in the Daily Cards thread but realised that some of the cards were very personal so I stopped putting them in the thread, I just keep them in a journal now. I know I keep telling everyone what an easy going deck it is, despite some of the artwork, but to be honest if I can read it anyone can. :)

Emily

Spiffo, I just thought I would post this because my Liber T is playing around. I was thinking of posting in the "favourite Moon Card" thread and I was thinking this as I did my daily. I got the Moon card, which is incredibly beautiful in the Liber T, but I dealt an extra card and I got the Wand 8 but reversed.

I don't ever read reversed so I don't think I was meant to read it just look. LOL I got a grumpy man with no neck and huge shoulders and a red beard lol and someone sitting with their clasped hands in front of their face, kind of like a plunger. Totally off topic but the card amused me so I thought I would post. :)

Spiffo

I had a giggle at that. I'm beginning to think it's a strength of Serio's artwork.

I don't reverse either. Once I understood the Thoth way of 'dignification' there was no going back.

XpS

Spiffo, I just thought I would post this because my Liber T is playing around. I was thinking of posting in the "favourite Moon Card" thread and I was thinking this as I did my daily. I got the Moon card, which is incredibly beautiful in the Liber T, but I dealt an extra card and I got the Wand 8 but reversed.

I don't ever read reversed so I don't think I was meant to read it just look. LOL I got a grumpy man with no neck and huge shoulders and a red beard lol and someone sitting with their clasped hands in front of their face, kind of like a plunger. Totally off topic but the card amused me so I thought I would post. :)